• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Potential Junkyard Rescue Need Advice

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cherry pick it and offer low-ball pricing. Buy the stuff like a hard top (really light weight), good tires, engine that you could turn over for a profit (flip and learn) or save for when you have a project truck. FINISH SCHOOL before getting tied down with any of these money pits.
Excellent advice! Having done 17 hour semesters (Engineering), working to pay tuition (many years ago when tuition was under $10k/year, minimum wage was $3.35/hr)....buy a beater for a daily driver, graduate.....then treat yourself to road worthy 5 ton.

71DeuceAK

They're cutting up good trucks? What a shame. Will they sell them whole?

Ran into a former classmate today who had some (optimistic) insight. Of course this was a quick conversation in passing in the cafeteria but he said they're decent people to deal with, and also that it definitely wasn't there this past summer (he's repaired his car with that place many times and had good reviews).

71DeuceAK

Did some calling around today and found an outfit that will tow this thing for not cheap but not an arm and a leg either. Going to try to go look at it tomorrow, or Monday.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have been around here enough to know the visual basics, but a vehicle like this was most likely not just driven to the junk yard.
If it appears to be intact, crack all the drain plugs to check for, and drain water (ice, almost forgot) off the bottom of the fluids, also make note of the condition of the fluids, check the antifreeze strength, inspect engine block and transfer case for holes or cracks, check the date codes on the tires. I would also at least try to bar the motor over if you don’t have the means, or you cant get the starting system to cooperate and before handing over the cash.

Remain calm, the truck is not likely going anywhere soon, make several visits if necessary to make sure your not getting in over your head. It’s a long shot, but check to see if they have a secure way of storing it for less than the storage lot, maybe since they’re a U-pull, they would even allow a reasonable amount of maintenance/repair to be done on site?

Good luck, get a good look at it, then report back with what your looking at, and questions... then we can more wisely help you spend your money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have been around here enough to know the visual basics, but a vehicle like this was most likely not just driven to the junk yard.
If it appears to be intact, crack all the drain plugs to check for, and drain water (ice, almost forgot) off the bottom of the fluids, also make note of the condition of the fluids, check the antifreeze strength, inspect engine block and transfer case for holes or cracks, check the date codes on the tires. I would also at least try to bar the motor over if you don’t have the means, or you cant get the starting system to cooperate and before handing over the cash.

Remain calm, the truck is not likely going anywhere soon, make several visits if necessary to make sure your not getting in over your head. It’s a long shot, but check to see if they have a secure way of storing it for less than the storage lot, maybe since they’re a U-pull, they would even allow a reasonable amount of maintenance/repair to be done on site?

Good luck, get a good look at it, then report back with what your looking at, and questions... then we can more wisely help you spend your money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oops... double tap. Sort of

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I seem to have read a sticky somewhere on the cost of buying, owning a running truck, with all costs involved. Very good post, from CUCV to the 5 Tons. I will try to find or maybe some help from the knowing.

Wow 1,200 a year to store at the North Pole? Um GASP, I would think 10 bucks a month, but I do not reside there. Plus the move cost involved, must be a GREAT looking truck from the roadside. Maybe I am missing something here but disposable cash comes to mind. Ice Road Truckers?

71DeuceAK

Wow 1,200 a year to store at the North Pole? Um GASP, I would think 10 bucks a month, but I do not reside there. Plus the move cost involved, must be a GREAT looking truck from the roadside. Maybe I am missing something here but disposable cash comes to mind. Ice Road Truckers?
And it will likely end up stored in North Pole, Alaska, as in the suburb of Fairbanks
, not the geographic North Pole, as in across the street from Fort Wainwright, just off-base. rofl

The suspense on this thing is killing me. Went to Walmart and bought $60 worth of cheap Chinese tool sets so I can go at least look at it. Off to a late night reading TMs...:deadhorse:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Yep just funning with you a little, did not think that space was at a premium in town but if sitting alone I guess stuff would start missing.

71DeuceAK

I can't believe I never did relate the end of this story! (I know I told 98G about it elsewhere, but I guess I never posted it here).

Went and looked it a couple days after my last post. Get to the place and get to really look at it and this thing is plated with current tags. Buried in the snow but it's a decent looking M925. I go inside and finally get to chat with the manager. Come to find out, apparently it has a loving owner (not this guy) who is having Detroit Lockers put in the rear axles, to get to his off-grid cabin...just couldn't do that until the snow melted of course. Had an interesting conversation with the gentleman nevertheless.

At least it has a good home and isn't something I had to try and "rescue" in the middle of a Fairbanks winter.

Actually had a couple other members visiting Fairbanks later and both of them got to drive right by it, they got a real kick out of the story at least.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
At least you were motivated enough to follow through. congrats.

You may always get further and sign up and bid on a few that come up for auction local and or maybe in the northwest. Do some more research and no more about different equipment.

Do not give up! We need Enthusiasts! :tank:

71DeuceAK

I've bid on numerous XLWB models, back when I actually had money to blow, alas never won. Ask 98G, he could tell you some stories about schooling me on bidding on M939s at auction. I learned five tons of info on what to look for from him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks