• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Radiator Tank Gasket/Seal Source?

74M35A2

I'll throw this in Parts Wanted also, but does anybody have a source for the radiator core-tank gasket/seal? Thanks in advance.

74M35A2

Am I the only one doing this? Doubt it. As an update, I have discovered that beyond the original radiator manufacturer, the rest of the market basically does not use a pre-cut gasket to seal the bolt-attached tanks to the core. Instead, only one company makes an adhesive "gasket tape" which is used to perform this function. It is much like a double sided foam tape. Made by Johnson Mfg.

162tcat

Do you have a part number or specs on this product? I have some crud in the bottom of mine and have considered pulling the end tanks. If it's a nightmare, I may reconsider

74M35A2

If your end tanks are not leaking, I would not pull it apart. Try Cascade and hot water for a few mile drive. If it is minerals, then try some CLR. I went with a new radiator due to the corrosion in my tubes once the end tank was off, was $550 brand new made to spec by Detroit Radiator, which is a few cities over from me so no shipping.

tbar123

I bought a roll of 36 inch by 18 inch by 1/8 inch cork gasket and traced the end caps then used a half inch hole punch whole thing cost maybe 8 bucks

tbar123

Was this an easy job? Mine is leaking but I do not want to start something I can not finish.
Cinman I thought it wasn't very difficult. If I had to do it again I would leave that heavy rad in the truck. Some things to think about before you do it is to take plenty of pictures ( bracket placement, bolt direction,etc) Have new or good used end caps in place before you start or a place you can order them from. When I took mine apart there was metal pitting on the inside. Not bad enough to worry about,but something I would do before I started, Also you'll need high temp gasket sealant,and a good brass wire brush. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward job.Good Luck.

74M35A2

What did it look like when you guys removed the side tanks? Here is what mine did, and why I bought a new one. Did you clean the tubes somehow, or just the tube ends? Needless to say, my heater core was like this also, and though it was flowing coolant fine, it was not giving off any heat, and you can't see inside of it to tell. Swapped it for another, and the cab became warm.

Attachments

tbar123

Mine was full of crud ,I had to power wash it for over 2 hours to clean all te ports.IMAG0024.jpgIMAG0025.jpgIMAG0026.jpg
At the top of pic 1 you can see some of the pitting!

tbar123

I scrubbed them with a brass wire brush, I wanted something strong and soft,but not to strong to poke holes. I then power washed and it did the trick. I should've rodded it,but didn't.

lindsey97

I would like to find out where to buy the rods for poking thru the core with the end caps removed. Also, most shops just use cork and a gasket punch set to make their own end cap gaskets one at a time. No one stocks them.

tbar123

I would like to find out where to buy the rods for poking thru the core with the end caps removed. Also, most shops just use cork and a gasket punch set to make their own end cap gaskets one at a time. No one stocks them.
I'm sure your local radiator shop could order them for you.