• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M985 Recovery and Restoration

paradeduty

Hey guys -

Yes Castle, I'd love to get a picture of the "family" together soon. Right now the M985 Cargo is at the truck shop awaiting a thorough, professional going over. I know what I know, but more importantly - I know what I don't know. There is more than a couple things on these big girls that I am just not familiar enough with to trust 40-55 K on the road to! Definitely is reassuring to know that the guys at the shop (who work on trucks much bigger than any of these if you can believe that!) are confident that the brakes are up to snuff. When they were tinkering on the PLS, they had a huge 150K 10x8 crane come in with a blown tranny. What a monster - the trans cost more than I paid for the whole PLS! This is kind of working out well as a break-in/get-aquainted period between me and the truck shop. The PLS didn't need a lot of work at all if you exclude the crane hydraulic lines - so it worked out to be a good starting point. The 985 is most likely to need a bit more - so we will see how it goes. Next will be the 984 which is going to possibly test their patience! That one they are going to have to get running amongst a list of other things. Because of the list on the 984 and time just blowing by, the wrecker may not be ready for the TACOM show (sniffle). The HMTT prototype is going to have to be tinkered on at home as most of its list is "design-build" - kind of the lay of the land when it comes to prototypes. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it at least respectable for the show. Probably end up keeping it solid OD as it never saw "active duty" - can always add the camo later maybe. I think I am going to leave the cab "accessories" the original civi chrome (roof air horns, roof clearance lights, grab handles, grill surround, etc.) as that is how they are shown on the cover photo in the manual! A military truck with some bling - what a hoot!

Dave.

paradeduty

Hey Ord22,

The truck came up for bid on Government Liquidation about a month ago. It was held at Warner Robins AFB in Georgia. The wife is fine with it. She did ask me if I had known that the PLS and the 985 were to come up for sale, would I have bought the wrecker. I told her that, with the relatively larger amount of work that the wrecker needs, I might not have. But then again, I had never had a wrecker before and I always loved the dual front axle rigs (8x8, 10x10, 12x12) so it might have been a very tough call. But for now the barn is full, so until I can bring myself to sell the M44A2 or the M52, I think additions will have to be on hold. Would like to find a really nice M989 trailer. This was the one that they used before they redesigned it to the M989A1 (totally different with wagon steering to lower center of gravity). The original M989 was basically a heavy duty standard architecture equipment trailer. There was at least 5 really nice ones that were auctioned through GL a bit ago, but they were in Alaska and shipping would have cost more than one of the trucks! I just think that it might look really good behind the wrecker as an equipment trailer and still be technically part of the "HEMTT family". Just have to keep looking - but no big deal as the wrecker is fine without a trailer as it is with the towing aparatus on the hind end.

Take Care, Dave.

Stalwart

Good boy Dave, I'm glad it was you who got it. The M989 is cool but for my purposes the A1 fits better. I'm going to pick one up this morning, pictures to follow. For our displays and for hauling our camping stuff the low height of the 989A1 makes more sense. I may even see if the Scorpion will fit inside.

Enjoy the toys!

All the best,

Stuart

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This newbie needs to know the what, when and where of the "TACOM" show!:jumpin:

Clink on: events

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Veteran's Weekend Military Vehicle Show[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]July 27 & 28, 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Open to all members and vendors on afternoon of July 27, [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Open to General Public on July 28, 2012. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hours at 9am til 4pm each day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Open to all Military Vehicles, reenactors and Vendors, you must register.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Open to all vendors, for swap meet. For more info, email jlind22@comcast.net, sponsored by AOD MUSEUM and MOTOR POOL.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Location is 5460 Arden Rd Warren, Mi. Plenty of room for all vendors and admission is FREE, yes FREE. Vendors spots at on reservation only. [/FONT]

paradeduty

Thanks 319!

The more the merrier! I really hope that a lot of folks make it out to the show. There is a lot of effort being put into it considering that all participation and admission fees are free. I hope all appreciate the huge amount of work involved. Although the wife and I have participated in parades and various benefit shows, I really havn't participated in the "club" part of the hobby in over 15 years. This year we decided that we were just going to MAKE time to be more active. A friend of mine is in the Detroit Arsenal of Democracy Motor Pool and we attended the winter meeting with him and his wife. Just a great bunch of folks that really seemed to have their act together and a huge amount of motivation and involvement in the community in general. So we decided to jump into the water and join the group. And, as luck would have it, that winter meeting was the first announcement of what I am calling the TACOM show. They have a really nice website - comes right up with a google search (sorry - don't have it handy to copy and paste). Anyways, thanks again for getting the word out. Dave.

paradeduty

Hey Stuart -

I agree, the M989A1 is a very cool, unique bird. The one that I have for the 985 is ready to go! I was only thinking that IF I got one for the wrecker, that it might as well be a little different. And it might be interesting to have the "original" and the "A1" from a historical perspective. Trust me - I really don't NEED another 33,000 lb gvw trailer! Did I just write that out loud......must be coming down with something! The A1 is pretty cool - when I picked up the newest A1 I have, I had to get out the A1 manual and read (yes READ) the manual (interpret as INSTRUCTIONS). I found out that the A1 has a manual (pneumatic assuming there is enough air on board) parking brake release under the driver's side rear of the bed floor. Mine was almost out of air, so I had to take a quick refresher on "caging" the rear brakes - but all in all, pretty cool. Too bad they hadn't incorporated a tongue winch in the A1 design. If you google for it, there is a company who makes a pretty snazzy tongue adapter system to make hitching up easier - but I think it is big buku. Most guys in the field use a ratchet strap. I have come to using a come-along which works pretty good. If you havn't picked your's up yet, you might want to bring one or both with you. Believe it or not, the M1076 PLS trailer I have has a pneumatic tongue/drawbar lift mechanism built in.

Take care, Dave.

Stalwart

Hi Dave,

I understand about keeping things different, you'll have 3 distinctly different vehicles!

I read the manual and found out about the brake release but I used my pickup and trailer to go get it so no huge air supply. I just ended up caging the brakes. The HEMATS are unusual out here in the North Left Coast, in any flavor. The one I got looks BARELY used and all the stuff was still in boxes or unused in the rear storage compartment.

I have another davit so I don't need to follow the prescribed procedure for using the trucks davit. I also thought about a strap in a pinch. In the mean time, I was thinking a 2x4 of proper length. I was suprised how light the drawbar is, they had all sorts of warnings in the manual about 2 people. Heck my wife lifted it one handed! I was also suprised that I was able to steer the drawbar by hand and even turn it with a bit extra effort standing still.

Pretty effortless loading, just winched it on . . . after I maneuvered around all the concrete blocks and a telephone pole. They moved my trailer into the worst place in the yard for someone with a truck and long trailer.

S.

Attachments

paradeduty

Hey Stuart -

Pretty cool when they are in that good of shape (mine must be pretty close to yours - manual was still in the stowage box/bin still in plastic wrapper). The Army must be getting ready to seriously update or something if they are letting so many of these in this condition go. I still have to find one of the spare tire davits for the 984 wrecker. One for the trailer might be cool someday. The 985 cargo already has its onboard (thank goodness) and the 1074 PLS had its as well (different style).

paradeduty

General Update -

Well, the shop said that the hydraulic lines on the Material Handling Crane look in a lot better shape than the last ones - only had to replace the ones on one of the outrigger legs (the other side had already been replaced).

Already gave it a full lube/grease job.

Waiting for new Air Filters (primary and secondary) to come in.

New fuel filter is in.

New hydraulic filter should have gone in this afternoon.

Waiting for spin on adapter for the 8V92 engine oil filter and then they will dump the oil pan. Already have the one I got for the wrecker if they hit a brick wall here (can't imagine, though) - as we can always wait a bit for the wrecker.

Lights seem to be in a little humble condition - want to upgrade to LED so not so catastrophic - already have a new 3-lever light switch - will check the wiring and then wait for this till after paint.

Radiator Coolant just needed a "sprucing up" to bring it up to par.

Would love to get some new seats for this one, but we will see what pops up.

Will need to have new Cargo Bed Sides fabricated - any suggestions Stuart? (I read that you had some custom made out of aluminum!) Did you end up incorporating troop seats into them? Inquiring minds need to know!

Dave.