• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989 Trailer to camper project

The HUlk

We have a M989 trailer and are playing with the idea of using it as a camper platform with room for an off road buggy of some type. A modified M931A1 is the plan for the tow vehicle which was modified by the fellow we purchased it from.

Hopefully this thread documenting our "adventure" will help somebody out. Whether they are planning on doing something similar, or need to address something similar. We have never done any kind of build like this so who knows where it will go.

This attempt would not be made if not for the good folks here, and the site making it possible for us to get support from them.

It would be great if this thread was written mostly by other members rather than us. In other words, we are going to need some help lol.

image.jpgimage.jpg

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your m989 is a great trailer, but is almost 7000 lbs to start with. Get very heavy when made into a camper. Just my 2 cents. Might consider a M146 move the axle and add a pineal hitch.

The HUlk

I appreciate your two cents and think practicality should be taken into consideration. When I hear about moving an axle I start to cringe quite honestly. Probably simple for some folks here but not for me. Pulling the M939 empty is not bad even with the brakes caged from a drive ability standpoint. Simple is better for us even if fuel costs are higher as we won't be driving too far.

jdknech

Put the 5th wheel back on your 931 and I'll make you a **** of a deal on a XM971 camper already converted! Lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443485613.143235.jpg

How long is your trailer? I think after putting a shelter in it, you might be a bit cramped for space to put a buggy or jeep in there as well... You would prolly have room for some quads though

The HUlk

Put the 5th wheel back on your 931 and I'll make you a **** of a deal on a XM971 camper already converted! Lol
View attachment 584561

How long is your trailer? I think after putting a shelter in it, you might be a bit cramped for space to put a buggy or jeep in there as well... You would prolly have room for some quads though
The deck is 17' - 4" long by 8' - 0" wide.

The wife will not consider removing the seats from the rear of the 931, appreciate the offer though.

Capehenery

Will this be a dedicated use or need to be removable?
Max height for the road is 13'-6" the back trails and campgrounds may be less.
Keep in mind the tongue weight. the center wheel set up may work out but could affect balance when building the trailer.
If you have ever built a shed you can do this.
What are your goals? Number of people to sleep. Inside cooking or outside cooking? Indoor plumbing or sawdust toilet? Shore power, generator, or solar?
20150907_211543826_iOS.jpg 20150809_232941350_iOS.jpgThis is one I'm building in my back yard right now. The other option is to find a shelter to retro fit for the trailer or convert an old camper to work on the platform.

The HUlk

Will this be a dedicated use or need to be removable?
Max height for the road is 13'-6" the back trails and campgrounds may be less.
Keep in mind the tongue weight. the center wheel set up may work out but could affect balance when building the trailer.
If you have ever built a shed you can do this.
What are your goals? Number of people to sleep. Inside cooking or outside cooking? Indoor plumbing or sawdust toilet? Shore power, generator, or solar?
View attachment 584592 View attachment 584593This is one I'm building in my back yard right now. The other option is to find a shelter to retro fit for the trailer or convert an old camper to work on the platform.
Very nice! That low deck gives you plenty of room for a second floor which adds a lot of floor space.

As a matter of fact I built storage barns for a living for a few years when I was younger. That kind of work is more up my alley than moving axles that's for sure.

We need to talk about design goals and report back. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

The HUlk

If you use a S280 shelter, that would leave you with 5' of deck space for ATV's as well.. A S280 is 12' long.
Here is a pic of one on a deuce
View attachment 584624
gimpyrobb had the same the idea which appeals to us because it is military. 5' x 8' of extra deck space would be workable I think. A typical golf cart is 4' x 8' which is all we would need for secondary transportation.

The HUlk

Had a chance to speak with the boss to start nailing down design requirements.

-queen size bunk (I'm 6' - 4")
-cooking & food prep area
-hot shower
-A/C

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Look into the "Zodi" hot water showers. They don't look like much but I've had mine for 2 years and love it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks