• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989 Trailer to camper project

Capehenery

Camper 1.jpgCouch Bed.jpgTable bed 1.pngTable Bed 2.jpg

So the first image is a concept layout with the bath at one end and the kitchen next to it with a murphy bed near the door.
I would try and do lofts if the overall height can work. but may only be room fro storage. I prefer a side door rather than a end door but due to the sides on the trailer it may not work.

The HUlk

View attachment 585032View attachment 585033View attachment 585034View attachment 585035

So the first image is a concept layout with the bath at one end and the kitchen next to it with a murphy bed near the door.
I would try and do lofts if the overall height can work. but may only be room fro storage. I prefer a side door rather than a end door but due to the sides on the trailer it may not work.

Very nice, thank you for your efforts and ideas! We like the fold down table idea, don't always need a table, and it free's up floor space when not in use.

We are leaning toward putting an S-280 shelter in the trailer which leaves room for a golf cart. After having a napkin & pencil conversation the requirements are firming up and a concept is emerging. It's not a lot of space but we will only sleep or hide from the weather in there.

-capacity 4 (2 sitting on bed, 2 seats)
-sleeps 2 maybe 3
-queen bed
-possible single bunk above queen
-running hot & cold water
-shower
-sink
-storage (minimum packing/unpacking)
-indoor seating & fold down table for eating, desk work, engineering projects(had to fight for that one!)
-HVAC outdoor vented fresh air convection heat
-off grid battery based power system 12 or 24vdc
-solar charging
-generator for running AC and other high current devices, backup power for battery charging
-smoke alarm, low oxygen alarm
-fire extinguisher
-fold down canopy with obligatory camping lights

image.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't forget to grab a sunshade off the side of an RV! They roll out to provide shade which is very welcome during the summer rallys. Then they roll up and stow out of the way while on the road.

The HUlk

Don't forget to grab a sunshade off the side of an RV! They roll out to provide shade which is very welcome during the summer rallys. Then they roll up and stow out of the way while on the road.
Great idea, with the obligatory camping lights (low voltage of course)!

Capehenery

With mine I'm thinking 24 volt system with solar and gen back up but would also have the ability to use the trucks slave cable if needed, Also looking for diesel generator so I only need to carry one type of fuel. I have even found a few 24 volt AC units but have not gone much further with them.

The HUlk

With mine I'm thinking 24 volt system with solar and gen back up but would also have the ability to use the trucks slave cable if needed, Also looking for diesel generator so I only need to carry one type of fuel. I have even found a few 24 volt AC units but have not gone much further with them.
I was thinking of using a DC to 120VAC inverter for running a small A/C or microwave. Haven't dug into this enough to know if it's possible/practical yet.

Sharing power with the 24V tow vehicle is the reason I was thinking a 24V system.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate your two cents and think practicality should be taken into consideration. When I hear about moving an axle I start to cringe quite honestly. Probably simple for some folks here but not for me. Pulling the M939 empty is not bad even with the brakes caged from a drive ability standpoint. Simple is better for us even if fuel costs are higher as we won't be driving too far.
Why do you have the brakes caged?

The HUlk

Great question. I did not cage the trailer brakes and am only asumming they are caged at this point. The fellow we purchased the truck & trailer from said he never bothered connecting the air lines to the tow vehicle since he never put a load on it. The passenger side air line, which I believe is the service brake line, appears to have been removed. The drivers side air line, which I believe is the emegergency brake lne, is there and connected to the storage dock on the tongue. This is the only issue with the trailer that I need to work through that I know of. There are a couple if air lines in the storage box on the tongue. However the fittings on them are pretty rusty and not looking like I'd rely on them or could even get them to thread on.

The HUlk

Don't forget to grab a sunshade off the side of an RV!
I seen what looks to be a good candidate on an RV wreck while inspecting the trailer today. Any fold down sunshade experts that can tell me what to look for when selecting one? Are they all the same?

The HUlk

I got under the trailer today for the first time. I was surprised to find the brakes have not been caged. So it's looking like this project may turn into an M989 brake thread along the way.

I also learned the front left spring brake canister mount is broke off from the axle housing. The canister is resting loose over top of the axle.

image.jpgimage.jpg

It appears there are no parts missing other than new intravehicle air hoses are needed. I aired up the system and both the primary and secondary tank had pressure when opening the draincocks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks