• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 dome light suggestions

Mario

Guys, got my M998 and need some inside lights in beast.
What have you guys done besides flashlights or portable LED gizmos?

I'm looking for something that can be 'permanently' mounted inside that's wired and switched.

I was thinking of possibly using LED strip and mounting it on B-pillar.

What about switching? What have you used?

Any pictures to stair creative juices would be much appreciated.

teteacher101

I'm looking for something that can be 'permanently' mounted inside that's wired and switched.

I was in the same boat, trying to find some type of 24v lights (I don't have a converter) that seemed decent to have it fit here or there an how to run the wires an where to put a switch, etc, etc. I may eventually go with something like that but for now I decided to try the LED tap lights sold at your local Wally World. They cost like $5, an I used double sided sticky tape to stick them above my head. They are about 4" in diameter so they are easy to find and tap to turn on and off. They actually light up the inside pretty good too. Just something to consider until you go with a system your looking for as this is fast light for cheap!

79f250guy

$(KGrHqVHJBsE7y7Zqv1bBPFb)3ibhg--60_3.JPG

I believe this is what blk hmmwv is talking about you can find them on the interwebs. I was thinking of using one and then make brackets for some door contact switches from say an older vehicle. Either from junk yard or I believe in the help section of the auto parts store that way it turns on when you open the door. Or just use the switch that's on it for more simplicity. For now I just got the free blue lights from harbor freight and painted them green and they work mint with the hook on the soft top bow and also magnetic.

Wire Fox

I haven't done anything yet, but I do know for a sort-of authenticity sake, I'd want my map light to be wired to be compliant with the master light switch. As in, it can't be on unless the MLS is in a position to allow the interior lights to be on. I kind of love having that sort-of master blackout control.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 672719

I believe this is what blk hmmwv is talking about you can find them on the interwebs. I was thinking of using one and then make brackets for some door contact switches from say an older vehicle. Either from junk yard or I believe in the help section of the auto parts store that way it turns on when you open the door. Or just use the switch that's on it for more simplicity. For now I just got the free blue lights from harbor freight and painted them green and they work mint with the hook on the soft top bow and also magnetic.
We used these in ours as far back as Desert Storm. I've seen them mounted on steel and alum field expedient brackets as well as wood. We used plywood a lot between our tarps and A/B pillars. It tended to help with the dripping canvas. These type of lights were sometimes mounted in holes cut into the plywood or spacers were used on the bolts.

I also saw command post lights and the cockpit lights used.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10091438095958096.jpg10091438095980818.jpg10091438095999533.jpg
I've always put these in my trucks starting in 1972, and now put them in our own trucks. Easy one wire hook up to anywhere you want (24v). Tanker lights. They work great!

Stonewall

I put the armored map lights as above. Made brackets out of 1 1/4 x 1/8 inch steel flat. Mounted one to b pillar and one to c pillar. Took 24 volts from the horn circuit, so they only work when drive lights are on, but that was fine for me and I can easily change that if I want. The blue or white option looks really cool and keeps the truck theme very military.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DSCF1601.JPG I've used this armored vehicle interior light for 4 years. You can buy them new or used, and they have an on/off switch. I bought mine used from CARNAC when he made a west coast swing to the April MVCC event at Tower Park. If you have a soft top all you need are four 7/8 clamps and wire it in. I've seen a couple guys bolt them to the dash. Either way you get plenty of quality hands off light. PM CARNAC he may still have a few.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks