• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Hmmwv tach installed.

aboonski

Thanks for the tip about the A3's. There are a few for sale on GL and lots of photos of the gauge panels, etc. I would enjoy knowing the application for this tach and whether I can adapt it to fit my CUCV. It may require one or more transducers. Once I find out the manufacturer I'll take it from there.

aboonski

Yep! It's an A3 tach! Now I will have to get hold of that SS member in Gainesville to see if he can trace where all the wires go on him newly acquired M35A3. Chances are I will wind up with a nice static display! The photo came from a GL auction taking place at Ft. Drum by the way.

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tach is the A1 Humvee tach that mounts in a box that mounts on the eng. dog house.... I have the same thing. Later they changed location to windshield area. The Oshkosh truck had it to, with the lighting, Humvee had a plug over hole where light goes.
Looks like the M35A3 photo tach only goes to 3k rpm
The Humvee goes to 3.5k.

Last edited:

aboonski

Thanks for the info 86humv. Once I get the tach I will figure out a way to make it work for my 6.2. There's a pickup tht I must obtain which will provide the pulses the tach uses to gauge engine rpm - I will have to look through TMs for the M35A3. Pretty much everything else will hook up to the ground and ignition system to make the hour meter function, etc. If nothing else I'll have a great hour meter that I know will work!

Al Broadbent

aboonski

Just got the tach today and will provide three macro photos of the face, back and the label on the side to show the stock number (I think) of the unit in case anyone wants to buy one like it. I have not been on Ebay lately so I have no idea if the seller has listed any more for sale; he did join Steel Soldiers and attempted to place an ad in the classifieds to offer the tachometers there but had some problem which prevented him from listing the items. Hopefully, someone will be able to assist him is placing the tachometers into the classifieds because these are really nice units!

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, lets bring this back from the dead. . . .
Will this sensor (Part 4) provide the pulses necessary to drive a Tach? I have the oilpump drive unit that this mounts on and want to pick up the rest of the parts I need to install a tachometer.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Did more reading today, it looks like this transducer is only used with the troubleshooting test sets for the vehicle.

dilvoy

You might be able to get it to work. I had an early HMMWV tach and I sold it to a guy who used the steice engine rpm thingie to run it. You might have to hook it up as a four cylinder or an eight cylinder to make it read correctly.

Army Kid

Banned
You might be able to get it to work. I had an early HMMWV tach and I sold it to a guy who used the steice engine rpm thingie to run it. You might have to hook it up as a four cylinder or an eight cylinder to make it read correctly.
Wish I had the instruction manual that comes with the complete doghouse tach kit. I saw the complete kit on ebay recently, but the seller wouldnt give me a copy of the instructions (I offered cash for a pdf scan). My HMMWV has it mounted to the doghouse (same tach as pictured on the thread), ready to go, but gotta figure out where to wire it. I have the dual volt 100A alt. maybe the ign lug ?

dilvoy

If you have what I think you have it is the tach that was used on the ambulance models. Most of those wires are not needed to be used to make the tach work. I think they went back into the ambulance body for some reason. If you open up the box and look at the back of the tach, you should be able to see the wire for the light, the wire for signal and the wire for ground.

Blackmagic94

I've used it on some race cars but Dakota digital makes a tach mag pick up sensor and box that uses a sensor to read teeth on a flywheel or flex plate and sends a standard tach signal to an autometer tach.

Jon0249

Trying to solve this challenge myself and need some clarity.

Just installed an aftermarket TCM with a tach input, and since the software allows for adjustment of # of cylinders, I'm hoping I can play with it until it works. However, there are 2 wires coming off the oil-pump drive transducer. Which one is the signal? A schematic of that device would help, or some other way of identifying what's what.

Thx,
Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks