• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Hmmwv tach installed.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has a particular question about the install, just ask and I will translate from the 8 page doc.

as a start, the rear of the Tach from left to right on the lugs is as follows:

term post pos leads458 "2"
term post sig wire 12
term post sig wire 13
term post neg wire 58 "2"

the last 4 wires branch off to a Ste/ice toggle switch...not sure if you have this or not, and I'm assuming this is the Same kit.its for an ambulance

Last edited:

Jon0249

Thanks for the picture, but I'm going a little sideways. Not using a HMMWV tach, but a Faria 4000 rpm Pro Red 12v version. Plan is to mount it on the underside of the radio shelf, facing the driver. So, it's not really the install sheet I need, but an understanding of which lead coming off the transducer should feed my TCM. I have a 12V supply and one tach input line to the TCM, but am not sure which of the 2 leads coming off the transducer I should use. I suppose trial and error would work, but not really keen on risking frying the TCM.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mods should really create a new forum for the HMMWV as they did for other vehicles on mods of a particular vehicle.
a sub forum per say....if it ain't NOS and in the TM's, it belongs elsewhere.
FWIW....

M114

Wanted...Doghouse Tach. Wireing Instructions

Wish I had the instruction manual that comes with the complete doghouse tach kit. I saw the complete kit on ebay recently, but the seller wouldnt give me a copy of the instructions (I offered cash for a pdf scan). My HMMWV has it mounted to the doghouse (same tach as pictured on the thread), ready to go, but gotta figure out where to wire it. I have the dual volt 100A alt. maybe the ign lug ?
I too would like to see a copy of the Instructions for installing the doghouse tach kit.

florky

Doghouse Tach

Here's my install of the Tach on the doghouse.

Followed the wiring instruction provided with the Tach from TNriverjet

Used 2 trailer extension cables for the disconnect to remove the doghouse when needed (greased with dielectric grease for better connection and easy removal)
Wired with different connectors on each side so tach can not be plugged in the wrong way.

Trimmed the doghouse insulation removed from the opening into strips and secured to the ouside of the Tach with zip ties
Sealed all electrical connections and light wire opening on the back of the tach with copious amounts of liquid electrical tape
Wrapped the whole unit in silver exhaust tape.

The hardest part of the whole install was making the hole in the doghouse snug to the outside of the tach. Cut it close then used a file for fine tuning.

IMG_1676.jpgIMG_1678.jpgIMG_1681.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1680.jpg

TOM R

I just bought a tach just like the one you have in your HMMWV for a little over $3.00 from Ebay; the description indicted it was "new". I am hoping it will work in my M1008A1 with the 6.2 & 24 volt system. I may want to talk you out of a photo of where the wires go. I'll include a photo of the front and back. The seller has more of these by the way.
are these still available ad how has it held up

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And like Lazarus, another thread back from the dead.

Easy to install. Kits all aver. Steal power from wipers or dash and plumb into the oil pressure thingy under the hood. Several more recent write ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks