• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 leaking coolant from front of engine behind power steering

boster58

Hello , I have had a overheating issue for months . I finally got a new fan hub , water pump , correct thermostat, Cadillac valve , control timer and temperature control unit . Drove Humvee around for 2 days no issues temp staying between 195 - 215 not going any higher but fan not cutting on.

checked with laser temp gauge and it stated about 10 degrees cooler so I think temp is were it should be .

now the issue , drove on a 70 mile round trip and when I got home antifreeze started coming out behind power steering pump area ? Not sure if it blew a head gasket or if something could be leaking back there ? Any help appreciated

live in Daytona beach Florida

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best I can suggest is get a pressure test kit, pressure up the system and use a mirror on a stick to look around and see where it is coming from, several possibilities.
I would say in FL it would be rare to have the fan not come on during a 70 mile jog.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most I can get in the summer is around 8 miles or so before the fan comes on. Could it be leaking on the water pump mounts? Since you were in there that is where I would start. Why did you change out the water pump? Good luck.

Mark

boster58

Most I can get in the summer is around 8 miles or so before the fan comes on. Could it be leaking on the water pump mounts? Since you were in there that is where I would start. Why did you change out the water pump? Good luck.

Mark
I changed the water pump because it started overheating . The water did not appear to be moving so I changed it . While I had it apart I decided to see if I could get fan to come on as it had never worked since I had truck for last 6 years . I purchased new military thermostat, military radiator cap , Cadillac valve , fan hub and thermostat controller module . However still no water circulating . At that point I started checking all lines to see we’re water was not flowing . I found on the tank that you add coolant to there were to lines . One went to cross over tube and the other to radiator were both blocked. I decided to drill them slightly larger the original and truck started circulating water properly and temp stay in 190 range , when driving it went to 215 but no higher . Checked with laser gun and temp was actually about 5-10 degrees cooler the gauge was reading . I also but a oversized aluminum radiator and trans cooler a year earlier as the original went bad .

boster58

The best I can suggest is get a pressure test kit, pressure up the system and use a mirror on a stick to look around and see where it is coming from, several possibilities.
I would say in FL it would be rare to have the fan not come on during a 70 mile jog.
The 70 miles was 35 miles each way and stopping for lunch before returning home truck stayed steady at 210

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure it is not coming from above somewhere, the picture is of little use.
If it is not coming from above (water cross over etc) it sounds like the water pump or the timing cover behind the water pump is leaking.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt holes in the front of the head do not extend into the cooling jacket, unless someone drove a bolt that was too long breaking into the cooling jacket. I am not sure that is even possible but some folks go to great lengths to screw things up, I suppose it is also possible the threads got stripped and someone drilled into the cooling jacket installing a helicoil.
Pull the bolt out and see if water pores out, if it does dry it all out, remove all oil and grease and try it with sealer on the bolt threads.

boster58

The bolt holes in the front of the head do not extend into the cooling jacket, unless someone drove a bolt that was too long breaking into the cooling jacket. I am not sure that is even possible but some folks go to great lengths to screw things up, I suppose it is also possible the threads got stripped and someone drilled into the cooling jacket installing a helicoil.
Pull the bolt out and see if water pores out, if it does dry it all out, remove all oil and grease and try it with sealer on the bolt threads.
Thank you for the help . Draining coolant now I think I can get to the bolt from under truck . Here are better pictures

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have pulled the bolt before draining to confirm that is where the water is coming from, you could always stick it back in until you drain the system.

mccullek

Got to get my shower gear for that lol , alternative plan is put water back in and see if comes out .
Before you get too far along, where on the motor is this bolt and leak? If near, like in just above, the oil filter, I had a similar issue that turned out to be a clogged drain for water, rain, fuel or whatever collects between the motor and transmission. It looked like a rusted off bolt, but it was actually part of the drain tube that was stopped up from rust and small debris over time.

I cleaned that out really well and no more water leak for me. What I thought was a coolant leak was simply a drain hole that was not draining well so when you drove it, the water blew all over the undercarriage and dripped all over my driveway, making me think I had a coolant leak.

We have since had a very heavy rain more than once, and once the roads were dry, so was my engine and driveway, so it was just rainwater that couldn't find its way out of the drain quickly enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks