• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 leaking coolant from front of engine behind power steering

boster58

Before you get too far along, where on the motor is this bolt and leak? If near, like in just above, the oil filter, I had a similar issue that turned out to be a clogged drain for water, rain, fuel or whatever collects between the motor and transmission. It looked like a rusted off bolt, but it was actually part of the drain tube that was stopped up from rust and small debris over time.

I cleaned that out really well and no more water leak for me. What I thought was a coolant leak was simply a drain hole that was not draining well so when you drove it, the water blew all over the undercarriage and dripped all over my driveway, making me think I had a coolant leak.

We have since had a very heavy rain more than once, and once the roads were dry, so was my engine and driveway, so it was just rainwater that couldn't find its way out of the drain quickly enough.
No more me is at front of motor it’s the bolt

boster58

No more me is at front of motor it’s the bolt
It’s a bolt that hold alternator on more nuts to the head that’s leaking
Before you get too far along, where on the motor is this bolt and leak? If near, like in just above, the oil filter, I had a similar issue that turned out to be a clogged drain for water, rain, fuel or whatever collects between the motor and transmission. It looked like a rusted off bolt, but it was actually part of the drain tube that was stopped up from rust and small debris over time.

I cleaned that out really well and no more water leak for me. What I thought was a coolant leak was simply a drain hole that was not draining well so when you drove it, the water blew all over the undercarriage and dripped all over my driveway, making me think I had a coolant leak.

We have since had a very heavy rain more than once, and once the roads were dry, so was my engine and driveway, so it was just rainwater that couldn't find its way out of the drain quickly enough.
Thanks for the info will ck it for sure . The bolt in question here is the bottom bolt on alternator behind power steering pump . looks like it all got to come off to get to bolt !

Reactions: OBX

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue on the side of the road with a 350 chevy. Had a bolt start leaking where coolant should not be. I pulled the bolt stuffed a peice of leather into the hole and put the bolt back in. Never did anymore to it and never had another issue. Chances are the bottom of the bolt hole may have rusted just enough for coolant to seep in from the other side. As I say I've had it happen to me. If this is indeed your issue (once you pull the bolt) put some form a gasket in the hold and bolt it back up. Let is sit overnight to cure.

Mark

boster58

I had the same issue on the side of the road with a 350 chevy. Had a bolt start leaking where coolant should not be. I pulled the bolt stuffed a peice of leather into the hole and put the bolt back in. Never did anymore to it and never had another issue. Chances are the bottom of the bolt hole may have rusted just enough for coolant to seep in from the other side. As I say I've had it happen to me. If this is indeed your issue (once you pull the bolt) put some form a gasket in the hold and bolt it back up. Let is sit overnight to cure.

Mark
Thank you Mark , I was just talking with my cousin and he said he had seen the same thing and made a similar suggestion

87cr250r

Had this happen on a Cat 3500 thermostat housing. Someone put a long bolt in the hole and cracked casting at the bottom. Nothing a bit of pipe thread sealant on the threads couldn't fix. I would not suggest putting anything in the bottom of the hole. Just don't forget which bolt it is. You could install a stud if you don't want to have to remember to reseal the bolt if you ever take it out again.

boster58

The best I can suggest is get a pressure test kit, pressure up the system and use a mirror on a stick to look around and see where it is coming from, several possibilities.
I would say in FL it would be rare to have the fan not come on during a 70 mile jog.
Thank you pressure test found it , respect

Reactions: OBX

boster58

Had this happen on a Cat 3500 thermostat housing. Someone put a long bolt in the hole and cracked casting at the bottom. Nothing a bit of pipe thread sealant on the threads couldn't fix. I would not suggest putting anything in the bottom of the hole. Just don't forget which bolt it is. You could install a stud if you don't want to have to remember to reseal the bolt if you ever take it out again.
Thank you this is the leading chain of thought .

87cr250r

Make sure to look very closely to ensure that the crack isn't radial to the hole but truely coming from within. A radial crack will not seal with thread sealant. There are options but this becomes a much greater problem.

boster58

Make sure to look very closely to ensure that the crack isn't radial to the hole but truely coming from within. A radial crack will not seal with thread sealant. There are options but this becomes a much greater problem.
I’m going to take the truck front off again so that I can get a clear view of what going on . Will post in the next week

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks