• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 MARKINGS

JMHDF

I would like to rebuild the markings on my 1991 M998.
My truck is comming from JRTC as writen on the rear left .
Could somebody help me to indentify the original marking . Please see the pictures.
I guess its DIO in the white triangle and BDE 52 on the rear right side but not sure. If somebody can give me also the definition of the marking it will be kind.
Thanks20220722_084404.jpg20220722_084419.jpg20220722_084451.jpg20220722_084432.jpg20220722_084442.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!
Good to see another JRTC, there evidently were quite a few sold out of LA
What configuration is it? mine is a helmet top.

JMHDF

Thank's for your replies, it help really much.
Mine is a M998 from march 1991, 4 men, soft top, soft doors.
Engine is a 6.5GEP and hand brakes is on the rear caliper.
As you can see there is a RAMSEY winch in the front. I completely rebuilt.
So D10 could be in the white triangle.
And BDE 52 is for 52th Brigade.
Thanks

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would like to rebuild the markings on my 1991 M998.
My truck is comming from JRTC as writen on the rear left .
Could somebody help me to indentify the original marking . Please see the pictures.
I guess its DIO in the white triangle and BDE 52 on the rear right side but not sure. If somebody can give me also the definition of the marking it will be kind.
ThanksView attachment 873748View attachment 873749View attachment 873750View attachment 873751View attachment 873752
I would like to also offer up a nice Welcome to the Outfit!

Don't hesitate to download the Technical Manuals (TM's) for your New-To-You HMMWV. Tons of good information and troubleshooting flow-charts are in those books. Using Acrobat and CTRL+F (search) will help you find things once you understand the nomenclature.

Again, Welcome to the group.

AAVP7

Welcome to ss.

Nice truck. Did it come from the UK or Germany or ________ ?

Is Iron Planet the European auctioneer?
Sadly, there are no auctions of surplus Humvees locally in Europe. All those vehicles were shipped back to the U.S. after the end of the (first) cold war. Then, when we european MV ethusiasts buy them, they have to be shipped back over the Atlantic. A few years ago, there were rumors that GovPlanet was considering to auction Humvees locally, but I guess that the ones still in Europe are too modern, and armoured, so too expensive to demil.

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank's for your replies, it help really much.
Mine is a M998 from march 1991, 4 men, soft top, soft doors.
Engine is a 6.5GEP and hand brakes is on the rear caliper.
As you can see there is a RAMSEY winch in the front. I completely rebuilt.
So D10 could be in the white triangle.
And BDE 52 is for 52th Brigade.
Thanks

Welcome! I have one from JRTC as well. My triangle has a P-10 but its been mostly painted over. I also have the Ramsey winch. I bought mine from a guy in Kentucky who had a whole bunch of them. Maintenance wise, mine was in great shape. I will at some point restore the original markings and bring it back to its glory days. Enjoy!!!

Stephen
tempImage9Rl1ef.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my JRTC, it has a 12K hydro in the front, a 12K electric in the rear, custom front bumper, brush guard and winch mount, a 6L80 transmission and a GEP turbo engine, Air lift rear bumper with spare tire mount,, my second favorite HMMWV.
beach cleanup.jpg

AAVP7

Not so sure of that. I know a Britt here, who bought one from a DRMO, in K-Town. Know another guy, German friend, who just got one. Will ask him where he got his.
Interesting, please keep us updated on that. I´ve heard a few people overhere claim to have gotten a Humvee "directly from the Army", because they knew so-and-so, but I mostly took that for empty bragging. Would be interesting to learn if a direct buy is indeed possible.

Guyfang

Staff member
Interesting, please keep us updated on that. I´ve heard a few people over here claim to have gotten a Humvee "directly from the Army", because they knew so-and-so, but I mostly took that for empty bragging. Would be interesting to learn if a direct buy is indeed possible.
I don't care who you know. getting a piece of government property is not possible.

I will ask my buddy where and how he got his next week. We are going to Geiselwind, Bike und Musik Wochenende. Du Stoltes mit kommen! Und Hummer mit bringen! Frei beer by uns.

JMHDF

Welcome! I have one from JRTC as well. My triangle has a P-10 but its been mostly painted over. I also have the Ramsey winch. I bought mine from a guy in Kentucky who had a whole bunch of them. Maintenance wise, mine was in great shape. I will at some point restore the original markings and bring it back to its glory days. Enjoy!!!

Stephen
View attachment 874064
It seems our 2 trucks are twins except the rims. Mine is comming from the same dealer than yours. Mine is also in a surprising good condition. I also want to restore the markings but cant find the presence of a "52nd Brigade" in Fort Polk. I keep on searching. Thanks.

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems our 2 trucks are twins except the rims. Mine is comming from the same dealer than yours. Mine is also in a surprising good condition. I also want to restore the markings but cant find the presence of a "52nd Brigade" in Fort Polk. I keep on searching. Thanks.
i bought the rims and tires this winter. The ones I had were pretty worn out. The new ones improved the ride dramatically.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks