• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 rear bumper with tire options

Mario

Guys, like most of yours, my M998 didn't come with a rear bumper nor a spare tire.

I know that I can get a airlift bumper and rino tire carrier, but at a going rate of ~$1,500 for the set, that seems like a lot of coin for a piece of metal, few brackets and a modified load binder.

I get that the tire with runflat is frippen heavy and changing it without ability to lower the tire would suck, but in my 25+ years of daily and trail riding, I think I only needed to change a tire twice.

What options do I have to get a bumper and swing away tire carrier that I don't have to take 2nd mortgage loan for?

Does anyone make a non airlift bumper with carrier that's reasonably priced?
To be clear -- I don't want to get something flimsy that will rattle and break off when I take my rig off roading (almost daily affiar thus far).

Lawdog734

Define "reasonably priced". What's unreasonable to you isn't the case for another. I think $1500 for a complete airlift bumper with brackets and a rhino carrier isn't a bad price at all when you break down the cost of all the parts separately. Obviously $1500 is too much for you to spend, so what are you looking to spend? A quick search for "hmmwv tire carrier" on the auction site brought up several non mil-spec options ($650-750) but you'll still need a bumper. Kascar at one time made at carrier that didn't require the rear bumper, but I think they stopped making it.

Cheap and capable of carrying a 160# tire bouncing on the back don't always go hand in hand, so you just may be better off fabricating your own setup.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DeuceNewb has one for sale , I saw it yesterday , I think it's 500 + shipping for the tire carrier

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear bumper also adds rear protection , so half the $ 1500 for just the bumper is cheap.

BLK HMMWV

Even the original kascar swing out tire carrier #5712345 that didn't lower the tire is still going for $600 plus and you still need a bumper to attach it too. They also made a swing away fuel can carrier that worked with it. They don't show up that often. Someone here on the boards just bought one of those for close to that. I have both of them laying around someplace. But you will still need a bumper.

Cheap and HMMWV don't normally show up in the same sentence.

Mario

Peeps are getting whole HMMWVs for 7-10k. Spending 20% on spare tire seems expensive. Not excessive, just expensive.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Lawdog734

If you can design, prototype and manufacture one for what you consider to be a reasonable price, then go for it. There's a reason your current options aren't cheap.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peeps are getting whole HMMWVs for 7-10k. Spending 20% on spare tire seems expensive. Not excessive, just expensive.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Ya...before they were 7-10 k for a some what [ GovPlanet ] runner, those in the same condition were 15, to 25k.
And parts were cheap.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opted for the airlift bumper, but had issues with the tire carrier, too big and clumsy
Since I don't really carry anything in the back, I opted just to have the tire in the bed, two ratchet straps and a cable with lock on the spare does the job for me.
IMG_1538.JPG

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to go with 37x12.50R16.5LT, SSR Radial Super Swampers, really nice with good grip
Part # SSTSSR-45R

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not know that, thank you , it's funny how I have seen them on military vehicles and H1
I guessing that if I where to have a fully loaded Humvee that it would matter.
Well one way or the other it's not a big deal for me, I have them on since last September and I haven't notice any issues with them.
They are excellent off road and I can't complain about any tire noise with all the other noises coming from the vehicle
I installed myself and had the local discount tire do the balancing. I run the tires at 21 lbs for a smooth ride.
Since the truck is empty and only weighs about 5200 lbs, the tires have a pretty high rating at E load @ 3970. the Goodyear MTR comes is a E load @ 1819
I personally think that the SS Radial is a great tire, I also had them on other 4X4
As for the "expensive mistake reply"
Not a big deal at this time, all 5 came in at $2,500.00, about the same as on my B7 and I usually change the 4 tires @ 15K, so I am numb to the cost
I will see what happens, time will tell. At least I have learned something new.
Thanks again for the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks