• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 with Brush Guard - any off the shelf options for winch mount?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another newbie inquiry.

I tried a search but I am not finding anything close that helped. I have a M998 and I would like to keep the brush guard on the front and the rear bumper and I am looking for winch mount for either the front or rear.

Might there be some off-the-shelf winch mount available that would be compatible with either the front or rear? Just the winch mount. I cannot weld and I don't have a laser or water cutter to fab up one of my own. I probably could do minor modifications but no welding or major cutting.

If there is not something off-the self, then I'll start calling around for someone local that might be able to fab up something for me but I would rather do it myself using something off-the-shelf if possible.

Thanks in advance!

269891777_647393622950289_5387403691128422747_n.jpg

269906824_647393596283625_6293151783106746456_n.jpg

Reactions: 98G

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could do 2" receivers front and rear. To do a rear one you'd need the one from BlackDog (which you should use anyway if you want a hitch back there as the pinball ones are garbage) and for the front Federal Military Parts sells one

These aren't going to be as strong as built in winches

BlackDog rear

Federal Front

Otherwise you could need to get a front Milemarker hydraulic winch plate and do one of their winches, either electric or hydraulic, or you need to convert your front end into the A2 style and get extensions, then you can mount pretty much any winch you want.

For the rear you're likely looking at something custom. The military had a rear hydraulic winch mount, but not sure if it would work with anything else.

Reactions: 98G

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done a ton more reading but I am still confused. I would greatly appreciate any additional advice from the collective.

I think a front winch is all I need. I don't want a receiver type front mount.

At the moment, I am thinking about using a Mile Marker SEC12 12,000 lb Waterproof 24V Electric Winch. Yes, I know I will have to upgrade to a 200 amp alternator.

I found this M998 A1 WINCH FRONT BUMPER but I think I need additional brackets? Can I keep my existing brush guard and use this?

I cannot weld, so would this be bolt on?

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the advice from a newbie!

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the answers. Not what I wanted to hear :confused:

That’s a Luverne BG, it’s an excellent Brushguar, the best actually, unfortunately it will need something custom to mount to anything other than that front bumper plate or the A2 winch plate, the A2 winch plate has a different set of brkts than whats used . I personally only use MM hydraulic winch in 24v, it has its own winch plate.

Lothar

I have an aftermarket winch plate I think was from Plan B. They don't blast their stuff or soften sharp corners before powder coating so the coating is peeling. It has cutouts that many flush mount lights will fit. I even have a set of those lights that I could part with as well. If you are interested, I will get a couple pictures. It would need the edge softening, sandblasting and new powder coat to be a quality piece. But it will bolt on. No idea what shipping would cost but $100 is all I would ask for the piece and my time. I have a picture of it on my truck I will find and post shortly.

Lothar

Well I don't have the pictures on my phone any more but they are here in this thread. My truck has a body lift so there won't be the gap between the body and plate on your truck. And you will be able to see the plate on the truck with and without brushguard in the photos.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another possibility from RetiredWarHourses:

Something else you can do is install a Sherpa Electric winch, it requires frame rail extensions and a new winch plate.
I see that Block Dog Customs sell those winch specific plates. Requires powder-coating which is not a problem. Just a more expensive option as those Sherpa winches are pricey!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy from retired war horses! I did and everything fits PERFECTLY and looks correct.

My humble suggestion.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I actually found a picture of a winch mount with Luverne brush guard - I just don't know where I could get one. Or perhaps this was a custom made one.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I actually found a picture of a winch mount with Luverne brush guard - I just don't know where I could get one. Or perhaps this was a custom made one.

Looks like the A2 winch plate with the extensions.
Though looking at the airlift brackets sticking out of the hood, I'm inclined to believe there are a lot of modifications to this rig

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, I would like to thank all the folks here that provided their collective wisdom on my winch project!

Success!

I installed a Serpa "Mustang" 24V 9500lb winch which fit into this cool mounting plate: HMMWV Humvee Hummer m998 FRONT WINCH MOUNTING PLATE KEEP FACTORY LOOK Heavy Duty

That winch mounted directly to that mount without modifications. I did have the mount powder coated, and they took forever to get it done for me.

20220430_120143.jpg

My only surprise was I did not realize that mount required me to remove one of the lower control arm bolts. Took me a better part of a day using 3 jacks to get the bolts I removed to line up so I could reinstall them! Good think I had all those jacks handy! I also did not know what size grade 8 bolts I needed but luckly Ace Hardware had an excellent selection of replacements.

After a search of the internet, I found the coolest mounting spot for the controller plug was right in the driver's side black out light spot! I knew that was a perfect location once I found the post.

20220430_120158.jpg

I kept the stock generator thanks to the advice of the collective hive.

Thank you for helping me make this a successful project!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good.
Now just to get a real 2" receiver for the rear bumper and not that pinball one that is notorious for bending with any type of actual weight on it.

rolling18

I have done a ton more reading but I am still confused. I would greatly appreciate any additional advice from the collective.

I think a front winch is all I need. I don't want a receiver type front mount.

At the moment, I am thinking about using a Mile Marker SEC12 12,000 lb Waterproof 24V Electric Winch. Yes, I know I will have to upgrade to a 200 amp alternator.

I found this M998 A1 WINCH FRONT BUMPER but I think I need additional brackets? Can I keep my existing brush guard and use this?

I cannot weld, so would this be bolt on?

View attachment 862354

Thanks for the advice from a newbie!
I would beg to differ on needing a rear winch.
I would rather pull myself back out of a bad situation than try and pull myself through one and have to go through it again on the way out.

Anyway I found a stock rear winch mount for like $150 it looks like a V anyway I was able to fit a spare 8,000 lb electric mile marker winch I just threw in there that I had kicking around super super easy install and relatively cheap compared to the front.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so don't laugh,
but I have a front mount winch and when I head off road I pull the cable out throw it under the truck and hook it to the rear bumper then pull up the slack and head out. If i need to pull backwards I free spool the winch and pull the cable backwards and winch, If I need to pull forward I unhook the cable from the rear and use the winch to pull it forward to the front and winch forward. An old timer taught me this trick pulling the cable back under the truck before it gets stuck is in his words working smarter not harder.
Have done this for years, and it works just my 2 cents worth.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so don't laugh,
but I have a front mount winch and when I head off road I pull the cable out throw it under the truck and hook it to the rear bumper then pull up the slack and head out. If i need to pull backwards I free spool the winch and pull the cable backwards and winch, If I need to pull forward I unhook the cable from the rear and use the winch to pull it forward to the front and winch forward. An old timer taught me this trick pulling the cable back under the truck before it gets stuck is in his words working smarter not harder.
Have done this for years, and it works just my 2 cents worth.
That way you risk high center on the cable and you’re screwed front AND back IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks