• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mahdey has got himself a whistler (Annville, PA recovery)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning all, the time is upon us to recount yet another successful deuce recovery! This one took place yesterday at Ft. Indiantown Gap, in Annville, PA.

First and foremost, I need to send out a HUGE thank you to Wreckerman, for keeping Murphy tied up down south drinking sweet tea, so he couldn’t visit us on the trip home. Way to go WM!!!

Our story begins with a nice trip into PA, where we ran across a beautiful wrecker being trailered to some lucky new owners home! I hope it was somebody on the forum, check out “Who’s Wrecker is this?” Once we arrived at our little hotel to stay for the night, the worst part of our trip happened…we had no internet…AAARRRHHHHH. NO SS to browse!!!

Our appointment with Mike from the GL lot in Annville was for 8:30 a.m., but we got to the base about 7:45 or so and had to wait around for a few minutes for him to come pick us up. We were at the truck by about 8:10 or so, and started giving it the once over. Checked all of the fluids and especially the condition of the brake lines and master cylinder. We topped off the MC and engine oil, as they were the only two things low. Mike had already fired it up earlier that day to see if it would start. After 3 months of waiting for the EUC SNAFU to clear up for Mahdey, the truck fired right off. It even had new batteries in it! The truck also has had the front hubs freshly worked on, evident because of the new bolts in the covers. Newer MC and Air pack, a wonderful new air compressor and a new IP. Plus it's a whisler!!!

So after we aired up all of the tires and got to meet up with Weskfolk and chat for a little bit, we started the truck and let it warm up a little, and pulled out. We headed off base and started down the road. The only adventure we had the whole trip was right after we left, I felt a pretty good “wobble” in the truck, so I called Mahdey on the phone and yelled at him over the roar of the engine to pull onto the burm and look at the passenger side rubber as we were rolling to see if anything stood out at him. The inside dual on the rear tandem was wobbly (turns out to be a bad tire, mount job or something). As we were stopping to fuel up very quickly anyway, we were able to pour on the charm to the manager of the TA who allowed us to plug in the air compressor, and we jacked up the rear rear axle to pull the wheels and check it over. The lugs were tight and everything looked good on the tire, so we hit all the lugs while we had the stuff out and checked the fluids once again. All was good, no drips and no problems. We took a couple of pictures for posterity and got a bite to eat and started trucking for home.

All I can say is Mahdey has got a RUNNER!!!! That truck drove great on the way home, and has more power than it knows what to do with. I think someone turned up the fuel on that new IP because it was just way too strong of a runner to be bone stock. If anybody is familiar with the few grades going west on I-76 in PA, this truck handled them with throttle to spare!! The trip home was uneventful, a few small rest stops along the way to look the truck over again and we rolled all 488 miles with no issues at all.

Thanks to all who offered support, and to Westfolk; it was a pleasure meeting up with you, and we hope you made it home safely as well.

Here are a few pics of the truck and it’s proud new owner for you all to drool over!!!!!

Attachments

mahdey

and a big thank you to you sir for driving it back for me. You forgot to mention the loose spud! and the loose lug nuts we found!

hellrayzor1

First of all, LOOKS GREAT!!!

Now a dumb question from a deuce newbie....What is a whistler? I've heard it a lot and am in the dark. Im tryin to learn though :)

Mark

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

I didn't bring my glad hand hose and air pig along...so no hooking up to the deuce.

Mahdey said he was bringing the compressor, so I didn't need the other stuff. An electric outlet is easy enough to find just about anywhere.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mahdey, I'm glad to you you made it back to C-bus ok!!!

I was more tired than I thought, when I got showered up and hit the sack, the wife told me there was a stray dog outside barking at the stray cats at about 5:30 this morning....I didn't hear a thing!!!!!!!!!!

Now you just need to get those trailers picked up!

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frodo, honestly, when the truck was under power, I couldn't even hear the whistle over the straight pipe roar, until I let off the throttle...then she screamed like a banshee!!!!!!!!

mahdey

:doh: I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

auaauaaua
lol

Well i took the truck for a spin yesterday and it was an attention grabber. So many people staring and giving a thumbs up....it was awesome. It was the first time i drove the thing too for more than 500 feet. The truck is actually pretty easy to drive. Stopped turning is a joke..not happening. The oil leaks we had seem to have gone. I thought either a)it was becuase the truck wasn't ran near red line for 11 hours or b) no more fluid :doh:..thankfully it was (A).

I personally love the sound of the whistler, it makes it even more Bad ass running down the street, and the sound of the turbo winding down between shifts is goose bump inspiring lol.

mahdey

after washing her today and cleaning the truck, i spent more time under it on the creeper. And on stands. I found that the alternator is new, the brakes all the way around turned out to be new as well. Underneath the truck i found that the tie rod ends were new or recent replacements. The flex lines for the brakes are newer as the anodized stuff is still there. Best of all the bearings looked good with new grease on all the hubs.

I did find where my three oil leaks were coming from. First one and the one that caused a lot of mess was the turbo drain tube. New hose and i'll be good. The second one was coming from the puke tube. The third is coming from the oil filter seals.

I'm happy with the truck :-D

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you've been a busy person today!!!

The new brakes sure explains the great brake pedal we had coming home! I never thought about the turbo drain being the source of that leak, but it sure makes sense because of were it was putting the oil.

Did you see what I told you about that brake light switch wiring? It's going to need a little attention in the near future.

mahdey

you've been a busy person today!!!

The new brakes sure explains the great brake pedal we had coming home! I never thought about the turbo drain being the source of that leak, but it sure makes sense because of were it was putting the oil.

Did you see what I told you about that brake light switch wiring? It's going to need a little attention in the near future.

i'll need to go back and look at that.

oh, how do i turn the headlights on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks