• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a Deuce a (better) highway vehicle?

jesusgatos

I've heard different opinions on that. I totally agree with you, but I also can see where the military might have set a conservative redline, fully intending for them to be run right up at redline, and knowing that they would be over-revved. Dunno, but as I understand it, the redline was bumped up to 2,800RPM's in the LDS. Vrrrooom-Vrrrooom. Still, I'm sure it's true that these engines would last longer if we could keep the PRM's down to 2,200-ish. My LDT seems real happy right around there.

Rossman

Have fun with it...I run everything I own hard. Broken parts give you an excuse to buy something bigger and better. My deuce is gonna have a 5.9 cummins one way or another.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have fun with it...I run everything I own hard. Broken parts give you an excuse to buy something bigger and better. My deuce is gonna have a 5.9 cummins one way or another.
I like your idea. I now run a 5.9 Cummins in my Dodge pick up and love it even with waste fuels.
But would like to know what's necessary to match up to transmission? And how well do you think
in will fit the engine compartment?

Thanks for your comments.
Orren

TehTDK

I guess I wouldn't have to do a lot of mods in order to get a Deuce that would run at around 56 +/- sustained. But are those 395 (im assuming we are talking tirewidths yes?) only for singling out or are we still talking boogie duallies?. And would 395's adversely effect its offroad capabilities or would those tires actually be offering a better performance off road then stock?

willy

I have a M35A3 with 395 tires and did 53 MPH on the Alaska convoy trip for me 12000 Miles round trip.
The duece did fine at 2450 RPM on the Freeway to Alaska and back
The convoy speed was 35 MPH and we had no problems I even had even wear on my tires
The other M35A3 in my groups all had to buy new tires as they where cuped so bad.
Two off the trucks had over drives in them for rear wheel drive only but they used that on the way there and back and told me they did 60 MPH
Willy

welldigger

I guess I wouldn't have to do a lot of mods in order to get a Deuce that would run at around 56 +/- sustained. But are those 395 (im assuming we are talking tirewidths yes?) only for singling out or are we still talking boogie duallies?. And would 395's adversely effect its offroad capabilities or would those tires actually be offering a better performance off road then stock?
395's are about 46" tall and are for singling out the rear. 395 stands for 395mm wide. As far as I know they offer better to speed and superior off road performance to ndc's. They also seem to drive better on pavement also.

jeryshery

Being as I'm building my next one to drive daily x-country I figure I'd chime in with my ideas. 10lug conversion, semi wheels&tires, progressive front spring with air, air seats, 4 speed gear splitter turned backwards to give tall od hoping for max od to be at .55. With 42 inch tires 2000 rpm will give me 68 mph and hopefully with highway tires and good suspension up front I'll be able to keep it under control at those speeds.

KsM715

Being as I'm building my next one to drive daily x-country I figure I'd chime in with my ideas. 10lug conversion, semi wheels&tires, progressive front spring with air, air seats, 4 speed gear splitter turned backwards to give tall od hoping for max od to be at .55. With 42 inch tires 2000 rpm will give me 68 mph and hopefully with highway tires and good suspension up front I'll be able to keep it under control at those speeds.
Hopefully? What are you doing for brakes?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
forget about brakes, what are you going to use for an engine?? the multifuel will not even come close to enough power unless you plan to drive only downhill! plus for all the time and money you will be using you could just buy an OD kit.

jeryshery

On my last a2 my dad and I added a stock turbo off an 8.3 cummins and turned the fuel pump up on top of 16.00x20s mounted on 5 ton axles and it would do 80,It'd scare you because it liked to wander but it would do it. My point is that even if it doesn't have enough power to run at those speeds it certainly can without a different engine. The brakes are a non-issue for me they are plenty to lock all 6 up. An od kit wouldn't even come close to achieving the same results and would cost far more. Hopefully means that I'm hoping that there aren't any speed related characteristics that aren't tire/wheel related that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

KsM715

I call BS. I want to see video proof you can lock up all 6, (16's) after doing 80, with a multifuel no less

Edit, I have family in Winnemucca, I can ask around if anyone has seen this mythical truck.

Last edited:

jeryshery

First you'd have to be insane to lock up your wheels at 80. Also yes it will lock up all 4 1600s at lower speeds because it has 5ton brakes on 5 ton rear ends. The brakes on 5 tons are designed to stop while pulling huge trailers. I would not run 1600s on 2.5 ton axles because that would also be insane. Ask away I said it was my last deuce for a reason. That reason being I sold it. However it was in Winnemucca for a couple weeks or you could call a man named Chris Cummings out of the Joplin Mo area and ask him about the truck John Sherrill built. Every single deuce I've had could lock up the brakes at low speed without issue. I'm not worried about high speed braking because I generally don't need to slam on my brakes at 80.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I call BS. I want to see video proof you can lock up all 6, (16's) after doing 80, with a multifuel no less

Edit, I have family in Winnemucca, I can ask around if anyone has seen this mythical truck.
thanks, this is clearly BS from some dreamer or worse

KsM715

Ok, I'll buy your explanation, somewhat. (I missed the 5ton axles, was thinking 10lug conversion)

How long did you own that truck? The reason I ask is because the multifuel can be a reliable motor for what it was built for. You start adding power it wasn't designed for (turbos, other than what came with it, and turning up the fuel) it won't last long when you start driving it a cross the country.

jeryshery

It lasted the trip from Joplin to here just fine and then here to wherever the buyer was from. I owned the truck from Jan 2010 to Aug 2012 It sat for quite a while with a flat tire. You would not believe how hard it is to find 1600 innertubes in joplin. After the turbo and tires we did about 3500 miles and it was still running strong. If you wanted to build a 70mph truck out of a deuce you wouldn't need to do all the power upgrades just turn the pump up a little. There are alot of heavy trucks with less power that'll run 80 all day long. Look at the Iveco 7.5ton It's got 130 hp and it does just fine at highway speeds. I really don't appreciate being called a liar, I gave you the name of a man you can call who owned this truck for a short while and can attest to all the things I've told you and instead of doing the research finding his number and verifying the truth you choose the lazy route and just say I'm lying. So I'll make it easier for you.
Chris Cummings owner of Surplus USA Carl Junction Mo 417-649-6353 He owned this truck for a brief while.

Last edited:

KsM715

I didn't call you a liar. I'm just stating that the multi is not the motor you want. I know there are other motors with little HP that will do 80. They were designed to do that. The multi was not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks