• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland MV owners are in trouble

Tanner

Of all the critical issues facing our nation it boggles my mind that our elected representatives choose to spend their time doing stuff like this!
You must be unfamiliar with how they attempt to earn all they can keep... they get paid to create interesting bills/laws/regulations - :lol: Sad reality is that most politicians involved in these issues never knew that there was any issue to begin with.

Sadder still is that rules/laws like this seem to get pulled over the eyes of the sheep - Kudos to the folks that brought this to light, and keep up the fight!

'Tanner'

DieselBob

I have 22 more letters going out in the morning to all the members of the House of Delegates Committee on Environmental Matters where the 2 House bills will have hearings on 2/28. Man I got to get more stamps...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a letter from my senator yesterday stating that the committee elected not to bring this bill out to a vote, so it is dead.

Good job everyone!

:driver::jumpin::grd::beer:fat lady sings

combat32

That's not that bad. Standard tags for my '08 F150 are $120 a year in Michigan.

WOW!:shock: I pay 23 dollars a year in Arkansas for standard tags, I run retired vet plates on one of my vehicles it costs me 4 bucks a year.My 1008 is tagged antique, cost me 20 something and lasts forever.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Not to be a buzz kill but they will be back with a vengeance next year. HB668 which would turn your truck into a parade float passed the house with a 138 Yeas, 0 Nays vote. The only saving grace here was the fact that there was no companion bill in the Senate to go to committee. Just like the tomb robbers in Egypt they will be back for more.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to be a buzz kill but they will be back with a vengeance next year. HB668 which would turn your truck into a parade float passed the house with a 138 Yeas, 0 Nays vote. The only saving grace here was the fact that there was no companion bill in the Senate to go to committee. Just like the tomb robbers in Egypt they will be back for more.
We must remain vigilant!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my biggest points to them was that a CUCV dually has a GVW of 10,120 lbs., and it is nothing more than a 80's 1-ton pickup.

Amer-team

Green jeepster, it looks like you would fall under the Early American registration, as long as your vehicle is over 20 years old and not altered. 20 bucks. they do really want to get you because you are over 8500 pounds, but if you get a friendly agent, you license issue may be solved.

greenjeepster

No such luck... anything over 8500 here has to have commercial plates... We don't have any problems with the DMV, so I don't mind paying the fee... They don't even blink at an SF97... Pay your money and you are out the door plates in hand in 10 minutes.

Amer-team

That isn't what it says in their definitions on the CT DMV website. It says vehicle that is over 20 years old. Most of the time you run into folks that are not used to licensing vehicles that are different. Sorry I am just a bit radical when it comes to having government do what it says in their regulations.

You are absolutely right about the over 8500, in every other definition that I could find, except for Early American Registration. Try it, you may start a trend.

DieselBob

Bump. Thought I would bring this back to life in as much as the General Assembly has deemed it necessary to have a special session this month (May) to raise our taxes. They have a very bad history of slipping other unrelated legislation through in the dark of the night. Anyone hear of anything that might affect us like the changes they tried to implement earlier ?

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently HB668 has passed, and went into effect on June 1. Here's the wording:

HB 668 – Vehicle Laws – Historic Motor Vehicles – Trucks, Tractors, and Motor Homes
Sponsored by: Delegates Schulz, et al Effective: June 1, 2012
This bill establishes separate historic vehicle registration requirements that apply to trucks (Class E) with a gross vehicle weight of greater than 10,000 pounds, tractors (Class F), or multipurpose (Class M) motor homes. To be registered as an historic vehicle, such a vehicle must be at least 25 years old. These vehicles may not be used for general daily transportation or any commercial transportation of passengers or property on highways.

jaxsof

Sounds like the rules we've had all along, +5 years. Now they need to get the leos to get the cars I see every day flaunting their historic tags.

col.halftrack

Hey guys,
The thread is titled Maryland MV owners in trouble. Would you say the trouble has passed or can someone give a sitrep for the current situation. Last I read there was no Senate version as of 03/12. Simply passing the House bill does nothing?? right? As read it just says not a daily driver and not commercial. Does not exclude you from personal use i.e Home Depot runs , or for the occasional ice cream.
I have been appointed to the MVPA legislative committee and want to stay aware of all the goings on.
Thanks.
Kevin L.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Kevin,
Jim ( big1096 ) is correct, we got the shaft. Both houses of the legislature passed the bill and it got signed. By law we can no longer drive our trucks except for

"(I) WILL BE MAINTAINED FOR USE IN EXHIBITIONS, CLUB ACTIVITIES, PARADES, TOURS, AND SIMILAR USES;"

"(II) WILL NOT BE USED FOR: GENERAL DAILY TRANSPORTATION; OR
ANY COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION OF 5 PASSENGERS OR PROPERTY ON HIGHWAYS; AND

What they did was remove the old language that made it legal to go to the hardware store or snowball stand or just a drive on a sunny Saturday.

" (1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and

Also they added the following restriction.

(III) IS INSURED BY A HISTORIC VEHICLE, A SHOW VEHICLE, OR AN ANTIQUE VEHICLE INSURANCE POLICY.

So the commercial insurance I now have is no longer valid so I will have to turn in my tags. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. :-(

Last edited:

midcounty

Nothing like legislators going behind every ones back in the dark of night to approve something they previously agreed to drop when people knew about it. So what does it cost to register a Deuce as an every day driver now days?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks