• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland MV owners are in trouble

3rdmdqm

Bob, this was the intent of the law all along, even when first passed. The problem was because of the wording no one could enforce it and people were using them for every day transportation, to and from work, to and from the dump, hauling things for projects etc. For those that think you cannot drive them now even for a Saturday drive etc, that is not the case. I drive my truck to educate the public and display a historic vehicle, showing it at whatever my destination is. So if you are out for a Saturday Drive just cruising for all to see, I would argue this is an exhibition, club activity or "similar use." No one is going to care unless you are driving the thing every day to and from work as your general use vehicle. The "occassional transportation" wording of the previous version was impossible to enforce. Frankly, this one is not much better, but when complaints are received and addressed makes it a bit harder for the violator to explain the use.

I don't think they really care that you have historic insurance on your vehicle, the issue is the restricted driving for the historic tag class. You could certainly continue to pay the higher commercial insurance, however given the tag restriction, it wouldn't make much sense. All they care about is the vehicle being insured. Some people cannot get actual historic or classic car inasurance because of the garage requirment, however can pay the higher general insurance to get the truck tagged.

As with any new law, there will be challenges and new rulings to clarify wording.

Kevin,
By law we can no longer drive our trucks except for

"(I) WILL BE MAINTAINED FOR USE IN EXHIBITIONS, CLUB ACTIVITIES, PARADES, TOURS, AND SIMILAR USES;"

"(II) WILL NOT BE USED FOR: GENERAL DAILY TRANSPORTATION; OR
ANY COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION OF 5 PASSENGERS OR PROPERTY ON HIGHWAYS; AND

What they did was remove the old language that made it legal to go to the hardware store or snowball stand or just a drive on a sunny Saturday.

" (1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and

Also they added the following restriction.

(III) IS INSURED BY A HISTORIC VEHICLE, A SHOW VEHICLE, OR AN ANTIQUE VEHICLE INSURANCE POLICY.

So the commercial insurance I now have is no longer valid so I will have to turn in my tags. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. :-(

Last edited:

col.halftrack

Ok,
So, What if you own a 51 M211 can you tag it either historic or commercial/daily?
Allowing you to choose whether you want it to be purely historic or used to haul items to your home projects.
Then what about the newer deuces since they cannot because of their age apply for the historic tag do they have a commercial/daily tag available?
Next, how are the below 10,000 GVW rated vehicles handled?

3rdmdqm

Ok,
So, What if you own a 51 M211 can you tag it either historic or commercial/daily?
Allowing you to choose whether you want it to be purely historic or used to haul items to your home projects.
Then what about the newer deuces since they cannot because of their age apply for the historic tag do they have a commercial/daily tag available?
Next, how are the below 10,000 GVW rated vehicles handled?
Yes, you can still tag vehicles that meet historic criteria (25 yrs and older) as either regular tags or historic tags. However, if you choose to tag them with regular tags, then all inspections and other vehicle regulations that would apply to trucks of whatever class you have will apply.

If you choose to register and tag the vehicle as a historic vehicle, then you are subject to the requirements and use restrictions of the historic class. Tagged as historic, they are exempt from inspection requirements and other equipment requirements (original equipment requirements etc).

So you can still drive historic trucks as daily drivers or use them for business purposes if you get regular vehicle class plates for them. If you register them historic then you have to play by the historic rules.

F18hornetM

I really hate laws of any kind, but guess they are needed. I do see the reason the state needs to do something about the historic tag issues. Almost everday I see a complete piece of junk on the road with historic tags. Rust holes completely through the body.
I am not sure what the answer is or how to word a better law. I dont mind the limited miles as long as it enough to attend events and an occasional sunday drive. We try to drive ours once a week, usually about 5 miles or so. Just enough to get warmed up some and keep everything working . Not good on anything to sit and around here if I waited on events, they are months apart.
I read some guys do and thats ok but I for one see no sense in using a 1970 M35A2 as my daily driver. Even at a best 9 mpg its just not practical.
I also dont think a police officer will bother us much, unless he see's us go by everyday. They have a pretty good idea that its a collector piece and not an old junk truck.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In essence, the law isn't much different than it was. The exception being the 25 year rule as opposed to 20. Occasional transportation is fine, just not an every day driver. The biggest change is that they made a separate category for vehicles over 10,000 lbs. The biggest worry I have is just that. They captioned the heavy vehicles out, now they can change the wording of the law pertaining to them and not the rest of the historic vehicles. I can see it happening, I just hope I'm wrong.

F18hornetM

You could be right. I hope your wrong as well.
One thing I hope for, is the chances of someone using a vehicle over 10k as a daily driver are minimal. Maybe they took that in consideration. Ok, I know wishful thinking that soemthing they did was well thought out.:cookoo:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maryland has a bill up that will eliminate historic tags on trucks over 10k pound GVW. http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/sb/sb0846f.pdf . We need to make a big stand here, or we will have to pay out the butt for tags and have to conform to DOT regulations :-(
This could be the tip of an iceberg, first Maryland then Michigan and everyone else. I look at it as a money grab since the economy is bad. Good luck and I hope it does not pass.

IGD

midcounty

This could be the tip of an iceberg, first Maryland then Michigan and everyone else. I look at it as a money grab since the economy is bad. Good luck and I hope it does not pass.

IGD
It did pass. In regular session they dropped the issue, and told everyone they were going to leave it be. Once the spotlight was off, they passed it in a special session. Now it's time to show the disapproval through the ballot box and vote all the supporters of this out.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It did pass. In regular session they dropped the issue, and told everyone they were going to leave it be. Once the spotlight was off, they passed it in a special session. Now it's time to show the disapproval through the ballot box and vote all the supporters of this out.
[thumbzup]

:beer:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not exactly true. They did pull an end around on us, but they did not proceed with the full spirit of the originally proposed bill that would have ended historic tags for any vehicles over 10,001 GVW. The big change is that you can no longer tag a deuce or 5 ton that is under 25 years old as historic. That sucks for anyone with an M939A2 since they were all built from 1989 to 1992. Trust me, I'm still pissed, but this is not as bad as the bill that was proposed that would have ended historic registrations entirely for all vehicles 10,0001 pounds or heavier.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-28T.htm#historic

(Excerpted from the MD MVA website...link provided above)

How do I register a vehicle as an historic vehicle?
To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less): be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design.

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration.

A historic registration may also be issued to a truck with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, a tractor or a motor home as long as the vehicle is 25 calendar years old or older. The vehicle cannot be substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original design. Vehicles issued historic tags under these criteria cannot be used for occasional transportation, or for any commercial transportation of passengers or property on highways. A historic vehicle in this category must be insured by a Historic Vehicle, Show Vehicle, or Antique Vehicle insurance policy.

If your historic vehicle is 60 years old or older, you may obtain a permanent, non-transferable registration for a one-time fee. Note: A historic motor vehicle 60 years old or older do not qualify for a special registration plates since they require an annual registration fee.

You can apply to register your vehicle as a historic vehicle in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You also can mail the required documents to the MVA’s Mail in Registration Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying. Licensed tag and title services will charge a fee for this service.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not exactly true. They did pull an end around on us, but they did not proceed with the full spirit of the originally proposed bill that would have ended historic tags for any vehicles over 10,001 GVW. The big change is that you can no longer tag a deuce or 5 ton that is under 25 years old as historic. That sucks for anyone with an M939A2 since they were all built from 1989 to 1992. Trust me, I'm still pissed, but this is not as bad as the bill that was proposed that would have ended historic registrations entirely for all vehicles 10,0001 pounds or heavier.
The other bad part about what they passed is this: Now, it specifically states on the application for historic registration that no vehicle over 10000 GVW can be used for "occasssional transportation", as is allowed with all other historic vehicles. That means, no more driving your truck to work on a nice day, or running down to get ice cream with the kids. They can now only be driven for club events, parades, etc.

So, just make sure to have a "car show" at your office whenever you want to drive the truck to work or to get your ice cream.:cool:

I never signed that version when I registered my 5-ton, but any trucks I buy going forward will have to adhere to that rule. I'll be contacting my guy about this again...

midcounty

My gripes are the insurance requirements and the removal of occasional use. I carry commercial insurance because I want the best coverage I can get, and I want the freedom to hop in my truck and take it for a ride now and then. I collect these trucks because i enjoy driving them, and now our nanny state is telling us we can't enjoy our hobby unless we are going to a show or parade. Now I gue:whistle:ss it is illegal to use either truck to go recover another truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely hear you. I am relieved that we can at least get historic tags, which was in doubt with the previous bill. I still am PISSED that they were able to move this along in a special session...but they did the same with other, uhhh, agenda items to keep this from getting political.

Tanner

Man just when I get into a new hobby this state pulls crap like this...I am about to make a border crossing if they keep it up...
Border crossing? Hmmm... Mexico probably has fewer restrictions on old trucks than the regs in Maryland - but then, the locals might think you're invading. rofl

Good Luck!

'Tanner'

3rdmdqm

Hmmmm.........so does that mean that those that bob their trucks have to register them as Street Rods? Then they can use them for occassional transportation.

Registration - Special Use Vehicles
How do I register a vehicle as a street rod?
To be registered as a street rod (class N), your vehicle must:
  1. be 25 model years old or older; and
  2. have been substantially altered from the manufacturer’s original design.
A vehicle registered as a street rod cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.

3rdmdqm

Hmmmm.........so does that mean that those that bob their trucks have to register them as Street Rods? Then they can use them for occassional transportation.

Registration - Special Use Vehicles
How do I register a vehicle as a street rod?
To be registered as a street rod (class N), your vehicle must:
  1. be 25 model years old or older; and
  2. have been substantially altered from the manufacturer’s original design.
A vehicle registered as a street rod cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks