• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Massachusetts Enhanced Inspection

Capt'nChaos

Has anyone from Mass. had to put their Deuce through the new "Enhanced Vehicle Inspection?"

As of Oct. 1st all commercial vehicles, vehicles with a GVW greater than 10,001lbs, or more than 5 tires on the ground have to get a DOT inspection when they get their annual State inspection. The inspection station can charge up to 1hr. of shop rate for the DOT. Previously exempt vehicles (fire trucks and municipal DPW vehicles) are NO LONGER exempt.

Needless to say this has caused BIG problems in a lot of small towns and many DPWs are being forced to purchase new trucks to replace vehicles that have never had to pass a DOT inspection...and certainly can't pass one now.

What impact, if any, has this had on military vehicle owners in the state??

Capt'nChaos

Well, actually we have a huge shortfall. Unfortunately this new program is going to make it worse. The state still only gets $29 for the state inspection. The hour of shop rate goes to the inspection station.

The small cities and towns take it in the shorts because nobody budgeted for the cost of the DOT inspection. Additionally, they didn't budget for the cost of replacement vehicles either.

The Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles advertised this new program with a small blurb on the back of your registration renewal...unfortunately municipalities never renew their registrations.....Thank you gov. Deval Patrick.

scooter01922

Yup, the devil himself is running the state. Haven't dealt with any crud from the state as mine is reg in Maine. Couldn't afford to keep one in MA with what it would end up costing after you figure in the commercial insurance. I didn't know that little chunk on info tho, thanks for the heads up. I gotta get out of this state.......

Ronbo

The communist..... But Obama will fix it!!!!! :lol:
Hey Scoot - I have land in the mountains of TN for sale.. quiet, 5 acre tracks..

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mass. MV owners need to call Barney Frank. He will gladly stand behind you on this one!!! It that does not work find a community organizer to help you out.

Michael

There is that nasty C word again. Are you sure it means all trucks or just those used in commerce? Even if it is just those in commerce, you are still left with what is the definition of commerce? What about those with historic plates?

But my real question is can a deuce even hope to pass an enhanced commercial inspection?

roberbert101

They usually do that to Fleets, or larger companys that have lots of large trucks hauling lots of miles, a deuce can pass an enhanced commercial inspection, although tough, the inspection is very detailed. from cracks in the frame to tire depth and they will want everything suspension wise tight, usually with them they will not accept welded frames or even welds on the frame, unless factory or "millitary" and just make sure all lights, all shafts and everything is in 100% working order, and the overall truck is in its 100% depending on the inspector he could be a a$$ and really make for a bad day... no oil leaks, or exhaust leaks, they can be down right rude and make a bad day...

Michael

Do they hold it to the standards at the time it was made or to today's standards? What about emissions? Wasn't the multifuel given exemptions at least for the later years? Will we as collectors, be given the same exemption? What about clearance lights. Sounds like they have opened up a big can of worms that has the potential to really impact the hobby. And we haven't even discussed CCKWs, DUCKS, bomb trucks and all the other older trucks with more than 5 wheels.

scooter01922

There is that nasty C word again. Are you sure it means all trucks or just those used in commerce? Even if it is just those in commerce, you are still left with what is the definition of commerce? What about those with historic plates?
Thats a question i can field....this state is loony on the commercial designation. My fathers dodge 3500 dually has to have commercial plates due to the more than 5 wheels on the ground thing. Its just a personal truck for carting wood for home woodstove and the boat to the water. No way on earth you could get a deuce under the radar, the anything over 10K and the # of tires both get you obviously. You could get historic plates but you would still need commercial insurance in MA so its really not worth it. Big bucks to insure something that can only be driven on a VERY limited basis. Its a wierd state, and the more you dig the wierder it gets.

Capt'nChaos

The communist..... But Obama will fix it!!!!! :lol:
Hey Scoot - I have land in the mountains of TN for sale.. quiet, 5 acre tracks..

..and the world gets smaller...Obama's campaign manager field tested his tactics when he was Deval Patrick's campaign manager...up to and including some of the EXACT same speeches and slogans..

The older I get the more politics scares me.

BEASTMASTER

if you're reg. antique i wouldn't worry about it. i'll find out next oct. but i don't think it'll have any effect on my buggy even though i have comm. tags.if it does, the town just lost a snowplow. hello antique.

Hi New member here. I have a M54A2 5ton reg. as a camper (auto home} in MA..Camper plates do not need a CDL or DOT inspection. I have a portapoddy small sink and fold down bed platform to be legal.

tanhmmwv

Are you sitting down? I live in Mass. and have talked to shops doing inspections....ready for this?

The insp. stickers are being controlled by homeland security, Yes, they are federally done now, not by the state. The shop was told that he is to consider the area that the car is in, when getting a sticker, as a US embassy. He was also told that he is to consider himself an employee/ambassador of the US gov. and not the owner of his shop.

Also, Anyone can be randomly called or sent a letter for a re-inspection after you get a sticker from the shop. This means you must bring your car to a location and they will give you a car for the day, and they, SUPPOSEDLY, re-check the car and shops work. (I am sure thats all they(homeland Sec.) will do, yeah right.)

Shops and citizens were not told about these changes at all. WHY???????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks