• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Massachusetts Enhanced Inspection

Michael

Seems to me that MA has killed the HMV hobby in their state. That is except for the old men's jeep club. I guess you could put an ice chest, bed and portapotty in the back and call it a house car.

The feds really don't have any jurisdiction if commerce isn't involved according to the constitution, but we all know how often that is ignored.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you sitting down? I live in Mass. and have talked to shops doing inspections....ready for this?

The insp. stickers are being controlled by homeland security, Yes, they are federally done now, not by the state. The shop was told that he is to consider the area that the car is in, when getting a sticker, as a US embassy. He was also told that he is to consider himself an employee/ambassador of the US gov. and not the owner of his shop.

Also, Anyone can be randomly called or sent a letter for a re-inspection after you get a sticker from the shop. This means you must bring your car to a location and they will give you a car for the day, and they, SUPPOSEDLY, re-check the car and shops work. (I am sure thats all they(homeland Sec.) will do, yeah right.)

Shops and citizens were not told about these changes at all. WHY???????
If it's a "Federal program"......whats to keep it confined to Mass.?, or why does it only apply to Mass.?

Not to pile on....but:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453925,00.html

Last edited:

scooter01922

Well when your in the nutty state of MA drop me a line and i'll buy ya a beer and take ya for a spin in the deuce, although in that order it might not be a great idea...:wink:

AMTAK

It won't matter where you are from or just "passing through". They (US gov) wants ALL trucks with a 10,000 GCVW (Gross Combination Vehicle Weight) to stop at the scales (And soon to be CHECK POINTS). It has been this way in Ohio and Maryland. If you do not have a CDL license and a log book dated back so many days you can be held as long as they want. This means if you have a 9000 GVW 3/4 ton truck and are towing a 3000 GVW trailer and are comercial (I.E. in the lawn care business). You will have to stop and SHOW YOUR PAPERS!! you will still have to stop to prove you are not comercial. But the 80 year old guy towing his giant camper full of depends won't have to stop.
It might not be this way where you are now but it soon will be. This is all about control. You can all play the game of "I got an old truck or I'm not comercial" for only so long. The feds will come into the states and tell the states "YOU WILL COMPLY OR WE WILL WITHHOLD YOUR GAS TAX MONEY".

This is the way I think it should be. You should be able to drive anything under 26,000 GCVW anywhere you want with no CDL and not stop at the scales. If you want us to stop at the scales then the campers need to also. If you are in the buisness of hauling frieght then you need a CDL and log book, not if you are just a buisness hauling your own property.
As far as the inspection. You should get vehicles inspected to the standards of when it was built, its about keeping others safe. Here in PA big trucks like the duece (with regular plates) need inspected twice a year. Cars and pic-ups are once a year. But next door in OH no inspection on cars and light trucks and trucks over 10,000 GVW get shaft of inspection and stoping at the scales.
When are people going to stand up and care about the small buisness man! It might not afect you now but it soon will. You wont be able to drive anything but your 1/2 ton truck to the store soon. No hauling your junk from state to state. You will have to pay a comercial hauler to pick up your restoration project and pay out the ass!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Amtak, I am in southern Ohio and have never stopped or been stopped. I have also never had an inspection. Where in Ohio have you experienced this?

AMTAK

Are you in a army truck or in a civ truck? No inspection on a truck with regular plates over 10,000 GVW? All the 1 ton trucks I see in OH have commercial plates. I also like the no brakes on trailers under 10,000 in OH. They might have changed that one.
That would be funny. No inspection but have commercial plates and have to stop at the scales.

dependable

I have to get a sticker on my f-800 soon, I'll let you know how it goes. I heard something wierd about trailer inspections as well. It is not so much about federal buracracy around here as more lilekey some kind of commercial payoff. Some one well connected probably got the contract for the new inspections (they just changed subcontractors this October) and they have a new way to fleece folks. This is just a guess, but this sort of thing has been happening around Boston for over 150 years.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm talking about my army trucks, deuces and wrecker. Never stopped or been stopped. I haven't gone into the north west part though. Cincy, C-bus, Dayton, & where ever the route to Aberdeen takes me. Oh well, guess times are a changin.

Capt'nChaos

Are you sitting down? I live in Mass. and have talked to shops doing inspections....ready for this?

The insp. stickers are being controlled by homeland security, Yes, they are federally done now, not by the state. The shop was told that he is to consider the area that the car is in, when getting a sticker, as a US embassy. He was also told that he is to consider himself an employee/ambassador of the US gov. and not the owner of his shop.

Also, Anyone can be randomly called or sent a letter for a re-inspection after you get a sticker from the shop. This means you must bring your car to a location and they will give you a car for the day, and they, SUPPOSEDLY, re-check the car and shops work. (I am sure thats all they(homeland Sec.) will do, yeah right.)

Shops and citizens were not told about these changes at all. WHY???????

Hmmm...was he wearing an aluminum foil beanie?? Ya know, just to keep the government microwaves from changing his mind.:wink:

In fact the Mass. RMV is responsible for this program. It is a state program but they simply "cut and pasted" the federal DOT inspection criteria in to the state regulations. The stupid part of this is that I can have a fresh DOT inspection (with the DOT sticker) on my commercial truck and if I go for my Mass state inspection 2 days later they will still perform the "State DOT" inspection and charge me that 1 hour of shop rate to do so.

Oh yeah...another bit of stupidity with this program.....ambulances are specifically excluded. Unless I pull in with my Fire Department Ambulance with "fire" plates on it. Then the RMV totally disregards the OEMS ambulance license sticker on the windshield, the big blue star of life and the words "ambulance" on the side and we are forced to submit to the new inspection and pay the extra money.

I'm ready to move to Maine.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi New member here. I have a M54A2 5ton reg. as a camper (auto home} in MA..Camper plates do not need a CDL or DOT inspection. I have a portapoddy small sink and fold down bed platform to be legal.
Welcome 5ton beachbuggy! (Michael has been a long time lurker but finally got legit by registering. ) I don't know when your next inspection is due, but it would be of interest to learn if your camper classification protects you. Please post what you learn when you have your inspection.

Robert

dependable

Got a new commercial inspection today on F-800 w 6 ton trailer and modified cucv dump with 2 ton wood chipper. Inspection costs a bit more and now commercial trailers and their prime movers need to be inspected if gross total of combined rig exeeds 10,000#gvw. Inspection criteria are basically the same as regular safetey inspection. be sure you have chock blocks, saftey triangles and fire extinquisher.. Other wise, if it would pass a regular, thorough inspection before, it will now. Make sure your trailer breakaway brakes work(electric brake backup battery or air brake trailer maxis.)

Last edited:

Chevytruck

Hmmm...was he wearing an aluminum foil beanie?? Ya know, just to keep the government microwaves from changing his mind.:wink:

In fact the Mass. RMV is responsible for this program. It is a state program but they simply "cut and pasted" the federal DOT inspection criteria in to the state regulations. The stupid part of this is that I can have a fresh DOT inspection (with the DOT sticker) on my commercial truck and if I go for my Mass state inspection 2 days later they will still perform the "State DOT" inspection and charge me that 1 hour of shop rate to do so.

Oh yeah...another bit of stupidity with this program.....ambulances are specifically excluded. Unless I pull in with my Fire Department Ambulance with "fire" plates on it. Then the RMV totally disregards the OEMS ambulance license sticker on the windshield, the big blue star of life and the words "ambulance" on the side and we are forced to submit to the new inspection and pay the extra money.

I'm ready to move to Maine.
lol they just made a reg to jack up the turnpike prices up in Maine (coming into effect February)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a CDL holder and own comerical vehicles and here's my take on DOT regs.

If the Gov. is really concerned about safety EVERYBODY would have to have a CDL, log book, and inspections of ANY truck over 26,000#. A 30,000# motorhome or fire truck is just as dangerous as a 30,000# tractor trailer. Matter of fact motor home drivers usually have less experience than truckers and could be more dangerous. I'm not saying this is the way it should be but the laws aren't logical if you look at it from a pure safety standpoint.

Just goes to show you all they want is your money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks