• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

max HP out of a 465 multi fuel?

Heath_h49008

My thinking was, if the AF or housing was the restriction, you might have noticed less smoke when you ran it as well because the fuel rate was turned up past the flow rate of the intake. Restriction gone=better combustion=less smoke=more power. To put it another way, you just got enough air to burn the extra fuel you got from the screw adjustment.

Or so I was postulating...

I find it amusing that everyone says how weak this engine is and how few rpms it can turn yet Heath post a link showing a guy BALANCED the bottom end and was able to turn 4000rpms realiably. On top of that he did a very good build on the head with a larger TURBO and was able to make about 500hp. This proves everything I and several others have said. Now whether you want to spend the money to make that hp or turn those rpms is up to you but it CAN and HAS been done.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I find it amusing that everyone says how weak this engine is and how few rpms it can turn yet Heath post a link showing a guy BALANCED the bottom end and was able to turn 4000rpms realiably. On top of that he did a very good build on the head with a larger TURBO and was able to make about 500hp. This proves everything I and several others have said. Now whether you want to spend the money to make that hp or turn those rpms is up to you but it CAN and HAS been done.
If you'll read into his build more, he's done pretty much everything I've mentioned that I was flogged over to get the engine to withstand the abuse.

I will say this, I can assure you he has a substantial amount of money in that engine.

MilSpec78

This thread is great.

Hopefully, someone more experienced than me in diesel engines will go ahead and upgrade/modify their engine and post the process and results. I would love to keep the same engine rather than convert to 6bt.

i don't need need more power but it sounds like it would be a fun future project.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps I should buy one of those engines from TaylorTradingCo and do a full on build with it. Wish I could find more liner kits. I could feasibly rebuild it "stock" but add on a girdle bottom end, better rod bolts, balance the bottom end, and search for upgraded valve springs. I think 300hp would be obtainable with that and a HX52 turbo swap in a dependable package. That and fire ring the heads.

TehTDK

I think we were also seeing more issues on rebuilds throwing rods than non-rebuilt engines.
I thought someone was going to do a rod bolt failure analysis?

I am at least following the thread and would have loved to offer any help. But I don't think I know anyone who has access to equipment able to test either a working or failed bolt. But I guess it never hurts to ask for either that, or if someone has access to MF equipment equivalent of milling or CNC'ing the bolts from stock.

But I am personally hoping to get my hands on one of the 465-2 Engines when I finally get around to look for a deuce. I think that unit will provide amble power for my needs and use considering I would have to get the Deuce restricted for 55-56 MPH anyway (legal requirement). So with that in mind I would think ~210 HP is decent and then decide from there on whether or not I need more HP. More so in the event it looses too much speed pulling up hills under load etc.

But a personal thanks from me for all the extra info that has gotten added in the last couple of posts. And I figure I need to look up and improve my technical english skills :p

Last edited:
If I read that thread correctly he didn't do anything to the bottom end aside from balancing and blue printing. All his money was spent on the head, cam and turbo. What really caught my attention was the inefficiency of his engine, 2 gallons for 300 feet sucks. Especially since a Cummins 6cta producing 450hp in a marine application uses roughly 3 g/hr. At this point I would consider a more efficient engine unless I was either A) going for big hp bragging rights or B) wanted to rebuild the engine correctly to run forever with 250hp.

hornetfan

If I read that thread correctly he didn't do anything to the bottom end aside from balancing and blue printing. All his money was spent on the head, cam and turbo. What really caught my attention was the inefficiency of his engine, 2 gallons for 300 feet sucks. Especially since a Cummins 6cta producing 450hp in a marine application uses roughly 3 g/hr. At this point I would consider a more efficient engine unless I was either A) going for big hp bragging rights or B) wanted to rebuild the engine correctly to run forever with 250hp.
Whoa, Nasty. 3 gal per hr will NOT produce 450hp except for a few moments! I would expect a 6CTA to use 3gal/hr at very low speed cruise (prop hp around 20hp maybe - just a guess), certainly not anywhere near rated hp. Marine performance curves can be used but are very different applications compared to automotive, even a HD truck like the deuce. Road loads are MUCH lighter and shorter duration than a marine engine running out 25 miles offshore at 8 knots. I could look at the 6CTA continuous duty rating curves but it isn't really relevant to this discussion other than to point out that marine performance curves should be used VERY carefully. The high output curves are more applicable to road use of the same engine. At sustained output fuel DISAPPEARS at high output hp!

largeboar

What an awesome thread!!!!!!! I was looking at replacing my 465 with a cummings but after reading this thread I really can see how the same money will get me a remanufactured engine with more horsepower and better reliability and keep the stock appearance. If I can get 40 more horsepower and not have to do this again for a while it's win win.

hornetfan

What an awesome thread!!!!!!! I was looking at replacing my 465 with a cummings but after reading this thread I really can see how the same money will get me a remanufactured engine with more horsepower and better reliability and keep the stock appearance. If I can get 40 more horsepower and not have to do this again for a while it's win win.
I'm going out on a limb a bit here but I think you can probably take any of the earlier LDT engines and with the appropriate parts being swapped for the late LDS-1 and -2 engine parts you can get up to the 215+ hp level without too much worry as long as you're not expecting the engine to rev much above stock. If you rebuild and balance the rotating assembly, blueprint the engine, etc etc pretty much as you would approach hotrodding a stock small block or similar engine you can increase durability. Will you have an engine as durable as the Cummins 6BT? I don't believe so. Will it rev as high so you drive the truck faster on highway? I don't believe so. Will it be as durable as a Cummins 6BT at the same level of power output? Not a chance.

But if you want to stay original and keep the MF capability then you can enhance the 465 to modestly higher power levels as long as you're not expecting much in the way of higher rpm. By the time the 215hp LDS-2 engine was being installed Continental had already pushed the engine to substantially higher power output and the engine was never known as being extremely durable -- it wasn't built for that. It was built to burn ANYTHING in the path of an advancing military force under combat conditions.

Yeah, I agree about the thread -- very interesting!

chigger

Hornetfan: I love what you are doing! I can't wait to see your progress & pictures. I got burned on this forum for stating what I wanted to do to my truck. I vowed to never come back and show my progress. Despite the negative response, I went ahead and built my truck and it has been well worth it. There are hundreds of pictures and videos everywhere I go (none on this forum). I can't go anywhere without people giving me complements. My advice: Do what they say can't be done and you will be a hero. You will have plenty of fans on this forum including myself. For every person that says you are crazy, there are many people that are rooting for you that are too intimidated by being burned. If you are successful, you could probably sell mod kits and making money while the other guys are left broke and sucking your dust.

steelandcanvas

I got burned on this forum for stating what I wanted to do to my truck. I vowed to never come back and show my progress. Despite the negative response, I went ahead and built my truck and it has been well worth it. There are hundreds of pictures and videos everywhere I go (none on this forum). I can't go anywhere without people giving me complements. My advice: Do what they say can't be done and you will be a hero. You will have plenty of fans on this forum including myself. For every person that says you are crazy, there are many people that are rooting for you that are too intimidated by being burned. If you are successful, you could probably sell mod kits and making money while the other guys are left broke and sucking your dust.
I just re-read the thread you spoke about, the same one you got "burned" on. You are correct, I did see some negativity in some of the posts but not enough to dampen my spirits if that is what I chose to do. You vowed you wouldn't come back, but you did if only to make a statement. My advice: Don't ask for opinions in a forum and then get angry because it wasn't quite what you wanted to hear. Just as you have the right to ask the question, we have the right to give you our opinions. If you haven't noticed, we are very protective of our hobby, and one question always comes to mind when people speak of making these vehicles go faster....what are you going to do to make it stop from speeds the vehicle was never designed to attain? Take the critisism with a grain of salt, and do what you want, but don't forget you are ultimately responsible for the modifications you make to a vehicle you are going to operate on a public highway.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey chigger, now that you are back, can you put up some pics? I know I have done some things to mine that not everyone approves of but I do take the intent of their advise to heart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks