• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max towing capacity of a M35?

M1075

The variance in responses here is understandable. The title of thread is wide open for interpretation. I see 1 ton pickups with over 20K+ load all the time. A deuce can handle it. A deuce is a little truck. A 5 ton is big. A 10 ton or HET is even bigger. Does it exceed the TM and the data plate? Yes. Can it be done? Yes. Should you do it? Maybe. Flat towing a deuce is done all the time and that exceeds the 10K towed load shown on the dataplate, and that is without brakes! I imagine a deuce could pull 50,000# if you could stop it. Westfolk would know for sure. rofl

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
halftrack said:
Hey Gents,

What is the max trailer load i can tow with a M35 without tearing apart my truck. I would like to tow my halftrack (about 21,000lbs not including trailer) with my M35 but am afraid of killing the truck. Just about all the towing is flat with no change in grades. Any info would be appreciated.

Real question isn't tearing your truck apart - its how much do you value human life and limb - primarily your fellow motorists, next you and your passengers, and of secondary import - how much you value your assets.

Have a wreck with injuries, and your insurance company WILL find away to avoid paying the claims because you exceeded the rated maximum of the tow vehicle. So next the injured party (justifiably) comes after you to pay their medical bills, replace their automobile, etc.

As I laid on my back in a trauma center a year ago - I saw and heard first hand some folks who'd been badly injured in an auto accident that began with a "look what I can do".

Will the deuce move the load - you bet. Will it move it safely - nope. The folks that designed these things really knew what they were doing (else they wouldn't have been produced for 40 years) - and a lot of people have tried to outsmart the Reo engineers. Engineers at GM, Ford, Chrysler, Stewart and Stevens - and a few good ol' boys that bought surplus trucks. My money is still on the Reo engineers to know what they will do safely.

Regards,
David Doyle

M1075

RE: Re: Max towing capacity of a M35?

David is right. The safest thing is to stay within the limits shown on the data plate, especially operating at decent speeds on a public road. Nobody can dispute that (unless you tow nothing!).

Westech

CPL
RE: Re: Max towing capacity of a M35?

I think Dave is right on this one (I find myself saying that a lot). I know as a fact that the Deuce will tow way over 35k down a nice flat stretch of road, its the turning and stopping thats a problem. I have many thousands of miles towing trucks with the Deuce. When I towed my M1008 across the country and back I could tell big time when braking. When I was towing my friends 5 ton cargo it would push the rear of the Deuce when turning so much it would skid and leave black marks on the road. Also when I towed my M220 home and the front the tires of the M220 exploded, the deuce just could not control it. There I think I found the word we are all looking for. Control. How much can the Deuce control.

halftrack

Great responses, that's what I wanted to here. The trailer is e Trail Boss and I believe it is rated for 30k. I will look at the plate today and find the exact model and capacity of the trailer. I've decided to just stick with the 5 ton tractor for towing in the mean time. By the way, love the bobcats. I am not sure how I would of made it this far in my truck work without one.

Autocar

I want to do the same thing with a halftrack. Does anyone know the towing capacity of an m813 5 ton? 5 tons have big brakes, but does the cummins 250 have enough power for a 20K truck and 25K trailer?

Westech

CPL
The 5 ton with the cummins in it will for sure move 20k. I have towed many 5 and 2 1/2 tons with mine and high way speed is not a problem. Now she does bog a little on the hills but not too bad. It is very livable/

jasonjc

M1075 said:
The variance in responses here is understandable. The title of thread is wide open for interpretation. I see 1 ton pickups with over 20K+ load all the time. A deuce can handle it. A deuce is a little truck. A 5 ton is big. A 10 ton or HET is even bigger. Does it exceed the TM and the data plate? Yes. Can it be done? Yes. Should you do it? Maybe. Flat towing a deuce is done all the time and that exceeds the 10K towed load shown on the dataplate, and that is without brakes! I imagine a deuce could pull 50,000# if you could stop it. Westfolk would know for sure. rofl
Most of to days "1 ton" pickups are rated closer to 3 ton's.

If I where you I'd use a 5 ton trator and trailer or a 5ton and the trailer you have. Like some else said above it's controling the load not pulling it that matters most.

halftrack

My 5 ton tractor pulls it no problem. Runs about 55 mph on flat open road, however, if you catch a hill it slows done it little unless you are already coming done from another hill. The trailer and the 5 ton tractor is a good combo. That trailer being that size stops you from overloading the 5 ton because of the trailer limitatiions. Its a good checks and balances for each other. i will post that combo tomorrow.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
BSH said:
Slightly off topic? It's curious to me that the Deuce has the same towing weight rating as a Chevy Suburban. ;)
Part of this is probably due to the Army's definition of a road. Keep in mind that the trucks were designed to operate on "roads" with a max speed below 30. And keep in mind too that five ton trucks operating on "roads" in Vietnam routinely broke frames due to the poor road conditions. Don't imagine that the Suburban can handle much on those type roads.

None of this will enter into the discusion with LEO or insurance men in the event of a problem involving a deuce and a towed load exceeding the plated rating.

HTH,
David

kcimb

DDoyle said:
BSH said:
Slightly off topic? It's curious to me that the Deuce has the same towing weight rating as a Chevy Suburban. ;)
Part of this is probably due to the Army's definition of a road. Keep in mind that the trucks were designed to operate on "roads" with a max speed below 30. And keep in mind too that five ton trucks operating on "roads" in Vietnam routinely broke frames due to the poor road conditions. Don't imagine that the Suburban can handle much on those type roads.

None of this will enter into the discusion with LEO or insurance men in the event of a problem involving a deuce and a towed load exceeding the plated rating.

HTH,
David
:shock:

Broke FRAMES?

Wow...that's abuse.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David,

I agree whole heartedly. We ALL have an immense responsibilty to operate safely when on public roads. As I said in my earlier post, we should all be aware of the increased scrutiny being placed on our hobby (I know some use their trucks in their business) as well.

And, as HMV owners I believe we all have a responsibility to educate each other, stay informed and operate safely so that we can continue to enjoy our HMV's. SS is an important tool for this purpose. While I don't post much anymore, I do stop in every day and contribute to the fund.

Thanks to the Admins and Chris!

rmgill

Bear in mind that I believe that the 2320-209 manuals state 10,000 towed load. The 361 manuals de-rate that to 6000 lbs, which is basically a 1.5 ton trailer plus some extra weight.

Good brakes on a trailer are a must. My Deuce does well with the dingo properly loaded on the trailer. 26,200 lbs all up weight, about ~10,000 lbs on the trailer.

Autocar

I was planning to do the same thing-half track on a back hoe trailer. Bought a 5 ton, but was way too big of a truck for me so sold it and was going to buy a deuce. After reading all the comments, I am not sure that safety is really the issue here. WESTECH commented about flat towing other trucks and his lack of control, which I can understand. However, in my experience, flat towing is totally different than trailer towing. When flat towing, the towed truck doesn't want to turn, it wants to track straight and it takes a massive amount of side loading on the tow bar to force the front end of the towed truck to turn. A trailer just follows the trailer hitch. Also, a towed truck provides no down force on the rear wheels of the towing truck. If you assume a 25K loaded trailer weight and the recommended 10-20% tongue weight, you end up with about4K(2 tons) of added weight on the back axles of the towing truck, so control should be ok. Proper brakes on the trailer should result in adequate braking for the entire rig. Lastly, you see loaded backhoe trailers being towed everyday by lighter 2 axle dump trucks with no apparent problems. It seems to me that the only real problem with a deuce would be inadequate power for a 35K total rig load. Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks