• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maxspeed3's Deuce Build Thread

maxspeed3

So its finally starting. This Friday will mark the 1st official day that I have actually had time to start working on the deuce this spring. The list of to-do's keeps on growing and growing.

The first task on the list is to give her a fresh oil change and fuel filter change. Then the real fun will begin! I'm going to be sandblasting and repainting the truck over the next several weeks. The process that I've chosen to repaint the truck will take time, but in the end she is going to look excellent (I hope....) So after researching this forum and YouTube I came across another member here that used a pressure washer and an attachment for media blasting. (I'll search around for him on the forum)

But anyway he also posted a video of himself pressure washing the paint right off his wheels on this deuce and it worked perfect! @Heath_h49008 (I believe this was you...)

Here is what I'm going to be using:
Generac Pressure Washer 3000psi 2.8 gpm
This attachment from Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8520_8520
And lots of media

After blasting I'll be spraying primer then paint. I'm going to go with BEHR Exterior House Paint since its sprays nice and the paint as good quality (have been using this stuff for along time) .

The last thing I will be replacing are all of the wood pieces on the troop seats with Natural Cedar 1"x4" and staining them a natural wood color. Once this portion gets under way I'm going to create an AutoCAD File of all of the dimensions and amount of hardware that is needed to re-build these seats. Somewhat like a set of construction drawings. I'll post these drawings on this thread as a .pdf so anyone can open them up to use them to rebuild their seats.

Finally during my build I'll be taking hundreds of not thousands of photos documenting my process along the way, so I can have an album to show where the truck was when I started and where it is when I finish her up.

I'll try to update the thread as often as I can with photos and some journal entry's along the way!!

So sit down and crack open a cold one! :beer:

If anyone has any suggestions please leave me a message!

Thanks!

Maxspeed3- (Justin)

Last edited:

maxspeed3

WEEK 1:

Update of my build thread!

Last night I got the pressure washer at Menards. I un-boxed it and got it all ready to go (put gas, oil, and all of the other bits on it) and tried it out on my car with the cleaning tip. It works better then I expected. I cant wait to give the old girl a good cleaning before I start to sand her for her new paint job. Also on the way is the attachment for the blasting and I really hope it makes it to my house by Friday!

Tonight me and the old man went to Fleet Farm for supplies to change the oil. 5.5 gallons of oil, funnel, (3) 5 gallon buckets and some other random stuff. I plan to go get her our of the barn and tackle the oil change this thursday night and start to sand on Friday. Gotta love having paid time off to work on the truck!

Also at some point before Friday I need to buy an air compressor for the paint gun that I'm using.
Looking to get somewhere between a 10-20 gallon, and 150psi+ max. to operate that paint gun and other air tools collected over time.

I'll try to get some photos of the truck this weekend to start the album!

gungearz

I'd get a minimum of a 40 gallon compressor... Even a 20 gallon is iffy with a HVLP spray gun. You will overwork it and burn out the motor. I'd only use a 20 gallon compressor for air brushing and filling tires...

maxspeed3

gungearz

Quite understandable, if size or storage is a issue but a 15 gallon DeWalt would work great for light work such as trim nailers... It would never last using the the two most common air tools in the automotive industry, the impact gun and a die grinder. It will need to refill every 3rd lug nut and probably every 10 seconds your on a die grinder. I'm not a pro with this but I think the cfm @ a certain pressure has to meet or exceed your tools requirements. Its not impossible but its just going to get frustrating waiting for it to fill all the time... I know, I was there once.. Now I have a (I think) a 55 gallon craftsman compressor. I picked it up on sale for $250 at sears (the vertical one like that dewalt)... Its ok with medium work but I still reather use hand tools because it keeps me moving instead of waiting for fills... With mine, I can run it for all 20 lug nuts on a car before it takes 5 minutes to fill. Try to research it alittle... I just hate seeing people unhappy with new equiptment cause it doesn't meet their requirements...

gungearz

Ok... I just got home from work and I just checked my compressor. Its the craftsman 33 gallon vertical... Single phase 110v 15a minimum.... I remember now, I wanted the 55/60 gallon but didn't have the funds for it and was to lazy to run extra wiring for it. Hope this helps...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Real interested on how the pressure sanding will turn out. I am going to start on a well weathered '73 M35A2 real soon. Keep us posted on the water sand blasting process. Good luck and take pictures.
JC

welldigger

I'd get a minimum of a 40 gallon compressor... Even a 20 gallon is iffy with a HVLP spray gun. You will overwork it and burn out the motor. I'd only use a 20 gallon compressor for air brushing and filling tires...
That depends. I have a 20 gallon quincy that will do 7.1 cfm at 100 psi and 8.1 cfm at 40 psi. The motor is continuous duty also. The best part is it still just plugs into a 115v socket. This compressor also cost double what some full sized shop compressors cost. But this was the most powerful portable, electric compressor I could find.

Anyways can't wait to see how the truck turns out. That pressure washer sand blaster caught my eye but I'm afraid of flash rust.

welldigger

That 15 gallon dewalt is really going to struggle with a paint gun. Especially with that small of a tank. The thing with air tools is most people overlook the cfm needs of the tool vs. the cfm output of their compressor. The output of the compressor needs to exceed the tools cfm needs to function properly. Not by much though. If you have the funds look on northern tool and check out either the quincy or Chicago pneumatic portable compressors. They are expensive but, they produce way more air and they are built way better than anything home depot or the like offers.

maxspeed3

Real interested on how the pressure sanding will turn out. I am going to start on a well weathered '73 M35A2 real soon. Keep us posted on the water sand blasting process. Good luck and take pictures.
JC

Thanks, I've done a lot of reading on it and I'm crossing my fingers it works! I'm definalty going to take a lot of photos! Stay tuned for updates. If the weather holds out Tom I'm going to start pressure sanding tomorrow.

maxspeed3

So I tried the pressure sanding and it does work better then I thought. There is so many layers of paint on her that it is going to take longer than I expected but its going to be worth the wait. However with the kit from Northern tool the hose for the attachment is way too long so I had to cut it in half and the flow of sand was a lot better. I'll post pics tomorrow when I have day light. The steel on the truck will start to get a coating of flash rust within about 15 minutes, but some wd-40 will stop this from happening. Once primer is ready to go on the truck spray the area with brake cleaner (that will get rid of the wd-40 and its ready to be primed) and the surface after the pressure sanding is very smooth to the touch.

brianp454

The last thing I will be replacing are all of the wood pieces on the troop seats with Natural Cedar 1"x4" and staining them a natural wood color. Once this portion gets under way I'm going to create an AutoCAD File of all of the dimensions and amount of hardware that is needed to re-build these seats. Somewhat like a set of construction drawings. I'll post these drawings on this thread as a .pdf so anyone can open them up to use them to rebuild their seats. Thanks!

Maxspeed3- (Justin)
I look forward to checking out your pdf's of the boards. Mine are in real bad shape and I'd love to fix them this summer. Your work would spare me some extra effort. I was thinking light stain like puritan pine and a good coat of polyurethane. My turck is Desert Tan and I think natural wood would look awesome. Cheers!

maxspeed3

I look forward to checking out your pdf's of the boards. Mine are in real bad shape and I'd love to fix them this summer. Your work would spare me some extra effort. I was thinking light stain like puritan pine and a good coat of polyurethane. My turck is Desert Tan and I think natural wood would look awesome. Cheers!

Thanks! I'm saving them for the last part so when I paint the truck I won't have to worry about over spray. I'm going to try to measure them up this weekend and draw the CAD file up!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are some better woods for the racks. I have the same plan on my list. Probably paint to match instead if natural finish. CAD file will be very helpful.
JC

maxspeed3

What are some better woods for the racks. I have the same plan on my list. Probably paint to match instead if natural finish. CAD file will be very helpful.
JC
I'm going to be using Natural Cedar 1"x 4"x 12' from Menards (there like $5.50 each). I decided to go with the ones from Menards because they acturally lay their wood flat when its being stored instead of Home Depot leaning theirs against the walls to warp to ****..... There plained and sanded on 3 sides and since the box on the truck is 12' no cutting will be required (hopefully) except for the headache rack but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.... I'm going to use a belt sander on the last side so they all have a nice even finish to them. Stain wise, I'm going to go with BEHR Deck stain in a natural color, maybe a little bit of caramel color to it. PICs and videos of the truck to follow this weekend!!

Also has anyone noticed after an oil change their truck is rolling a lot more coal? Mine is for some reason but I love it! Haven't touched the fuel at all, but she seems to run ALOT better after the change. Could it be the oil I used? 15W40 Heavy Diesel Oil? I know its nothing to be concerned about, but I was just curious as to why....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks