• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May be looking at another M38a1 - need assistance

wilfreeman

Yeah, you'll have to do some soul searching and decide if you want to put out the extra money at the beginning, or pay a you go - either way, it's going to cost. But starting out with a good base is always better.

wilfreeman

Yeah, that is a decent price. From what I can see, the tank, generator, regulator, headlights, spare tire mount, gas can holder, pintle hook and rear seat are missing. The fenders are pretty high priced too. Wrong carb and wheels (all 4). Starter looks like a 12v (has a solenoid), which means it has probably been converted - but it looks like the original wiring harness is there. The floors look rough, but not rusted through - would need blasting. Hard top is not military. All in all, it probably wouldn't take a lot to get it on the road and might be a good starting point.

rdsar2k

M38a1

I look at it and say roughly 500.00 to sandblast and a paint job. Lots of mechanical work but it has most of the parts. Tubs come off easy. If they look decent they want 3-4000.00. Alot of the time it is just like this with a quicky paint job over bondo and running but rough. It is a decent price to me too with room to get it decent and know what is under the paint.

wilfreeman

The outside looks decent, so maybe it won't even need blasting (if it looks good from the inside - the floors definitely need it though. Paint is cheap - do it yourself and save. Might be worth checking out.

wilfreeman

Yeah, get one that won't take a whole lot of work, get it drivable and do a driving resto. That way you can enjoy it for those 14 years - unless the building a family thing gets in the way! I'm back on track to finish her by spring now though - thanks to the beautiful winter weather we're having here.

Danger Ranger

WHEW!!! Good thing I didn't go and buy that red one. I had thought it looked pretty good from the ad, and its only 30min -ish from my house. I never even noticed the back end, and I had seen some of the other pics before too.

Good luck in your seach. :popcorn:

jeeplvr247

When I do finally find one I plan on doing a driving resto and do anything extensive during the winter when it would not be driving regardless.

wilfreeman

****, anywhere except the garage! I used to love taking my Wrangler out on the trails - my wife did too. My daughter (6 yo) loves the 'a1, even though she has only ridden around the garage in it.

jeeplvr247

You need to get that a1 out in the woods where it belongs. When I finally get mine, I want to get it back into motor pool condition but not so nice that I wouldn't take it on the trails.

wilfreeman

Yeah, that's what I am working towards too. The original plan (14 yrs ago) was going for showroom condition, but now I am just going for motorpool +. I've had this thing off the road for too long - I just want to use it. And like you said - not so nice that I don't want to scratch it on a trail! Hopefully it won't be too much longer on mine. I'm going to hit it hard while I'm off this week and try to at least get it road worthy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks