• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mechanics?

Jerchambers

So I took Hulk to the mechanic the other day to try to find the problem I've been having and they called to ask me for all the wiring schematics.... This is after they claimed to know how to work on MVs. Ha... I went and took my CUCV back since the one guy that was going to work on is going to be gone for the next 5 days. I will keep you all updated. Somehow I think I am better off on my own with this forum's help than with them.

You may be better off here with help.

But that was not a strange request. Any one good at electrical can fix any vehicle if they have the wiring diagrams.

Mitchell 1 nor Alldata will have CUCV wiring diagrams. You could have given them the link to Jtonka's site.

But if you have a bad feeling in the old gut you should listen. The gut is almost always right.

Good luck on the repairs.

Mark 10:15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

Jerchambers

whats the problem you are having?
Oh electrical here and there. Both my GEN1 and GEN2 lights are coming on. When I first scheduled with the mechanic, I couldn't get the **** thing started. It would crank and crank but wouldn't turn over. I figured it was a fuel problem. Now my Voltmeter is in yellow and it turns over no prob. So, I figure it's an alternator problem. I have been battling at wits end for the last year with this... If it's not one thing then it's another. So, I thought I would see if someone here locally had any knowledge. Well, it seems as though I didn't find that person. Especially if they are asking me for the schematics.

idM1028

If your GEN lights are coming on, also make sure to check the exciter wire circuits. There should be instructions in the FAQ thread for checking the exciter wire voltage. Also, there's some weird stuff in those circuits that can make the alternators not charge (I.E. the GEN idiot light light bulbs, the heater fuse, etc.) I've been having problems with the GEN 1 light myself.

Jerchambers

Ok so the update is... The mechanic is a friend of mine and has called today asking for a description of the way the electrical system works. I didn't have the know how to explain this... Can anyone please reply with a simple way to explain for me? He is monitoring this post....So please be kind.:):D

The electricity comes out of the negative side of the battery goes through all the wires trying to find a way to get to the positive side of the battery. As it make its journey it can do work like turn a starter, light a light bulb or warm a glow plug.

Realy he needs a link to the wiring diagrams for the truck. That should tell him all he needs to know.

http://www.froadin.com/cucv/

Pro 20:12 The hearing ear and the seeing eye, The LORD has made them both.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your mechanic is doing you and himself a favor by asking for the schematics! It's the guy who doesn't ask for them that I wouldn't take it to.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so the update is... The mechanic is a friend of mine and has called today asking for a description of the way the electrical system works. I didn't have the know how to explain this... Can anyone please reply with a simple way to explain for me? He is monitoring this post....So please be kind.:):D
Try these:

Attachments

Jerchambers

The electricity comes out of the negative side of the battery goes through all the wires trying to find a way to get to the positive side of the battery. As it make its journey it can do work like turn a starter, light a light bulb or warm a glow plug.

Realy he needs a link to the wiring diagrams for the truck. That should tell him all he needs to know.

CUCV

Pro 20:12 The hearing ear and the seeing eye, The LORD has made them both.
HILARIOUS!!! I am so glad for the wasted effort on your part in speaking the obvious and letting me know how confused you are... I will quote mothers from around the world and say "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Read the thread from the beginning and you will know that he has the wiring diagrams.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur, where does it say he has the diagrams? Did you click on the link where he did provide an explaination on how the system works?

As someone who knows the CUCV electrical system and a contributor to the testing and final article, I though he was being very helpful.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur, where does it say he has the diagrams? Did you click on the link where he did provide an explaination on how the system works?

As someone who knows the CUCV electrical system and a contributor to the testing and final article, I though he was being very helpful.

The charging system article is your work?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the article is Amphi's, but I did help him with it. I give him all the credit.

I just asked questions, threw out ideas, and proof read it before submittal.

zout

Always and I mean Always - listen to that voice in the back of your head that tells you something needs to go a different way. Call it a 6th sense or whatever - it is usually right.

Most times or not - when you have a troubleshooting plan - keep with it instead of "calling around for help" cause you will most likely wind up back with your plan and where you started off from in the beginning.

But eh - what do I know.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the article is Amphi's, but I did help him with it. I give him all the credit.

I just asked questions, threw out ideas, and proof read it before submittal.

Well done to both of you! I think everyone who owns a CUCV needs to read the article and watch the videos. Very easy to understand the complexity.

Jerchambers

Wow...As usual this sight impresses me....I owe you guys an apology..I didn't state anywhere that I printed the wiring schematics and gave them to him. MY BAD.... And yes joking is allowed, in fact, I was half ass joking too... I didn't mean to offend anyone... Sorry Mobile... I appreciate ALL the input... I am kinda wondering what my friend is really asking for... I will update tomorrow.

rhinob

So I took Hulk to the mechanic the other day to try to find the problem I've been having and they called to ask me for all the wiring schematics.... This is after they claimed to know how to work on MVs. Ha... I went and took my CUCV back since the one guy that was going to work on is going to be gone for the next 5 days. I will keep you all updated. Somehow I think I am better off on my own with this forum's help than with them.
A mechanic/tech wanting documentation is a good sign.

Jerchambers

Alright so the update from the mechanic is that they believe both alternators need replacement. I have since brought my CUCV home without any charges... So no loss to me. My friend offered to help with some other additions later as well.. So he said he tested all the wiring within the charging system and found no problems. I even gave him this sight as a reference. So, I guess I need to be shopping for new alternators... I will probably take them to my alternator guy next week to test and look at. Thanks again for everyone's help. I do as always appreciate the FREE support and knowledge on here.