• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium Tow Bar Storage Mount, On Vehicle, Ideas?

74M35A2

Just acquired a medium duty tow bar for my M925A2. Considering to mount in on the vehicle in some type of storage configuration, so it is readily available when needed.

Looking for ideas of what others have done, search didn't find much, but maybe my keywords suck. Since the tube portion measures about 2-7/8" OD, I'm considering to simply use two 3" exhaust clamps per tube, maybe lined with slit rubber hose, and with holes drilled through one of the three available bed walls, and wing nuts with lock and flat washers. Repeat for the other tube also of course. Looking at putting it under the troop seats, across the headboard, or even under the bed. Each leg weighs about 60lbs, plus or minus for the lunette ring. If mounted to an interior bed sidewall, it would make tilting of the drop wall more difficult, as these bed walls already have a little weight behind them when lifting them as a single entity. Do-able, but not sure I want it any heavier.

Would be great to see pics and/or hear ideas of what others have done. I do off-road the truck, so I prefer it not to be a snag hazard. Also will attempt to make a front end "A" frame crane out of it with longer legs, a snatch pulley, and a tie-back cable over the cab roof. We'll save that for another thread.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen many threads for tow bar storage locations in the Deuce forums. Did your search only include the 5-Ton? I realize the deuce isn't exactly the same, but should at least still spark very similar ideas. Such as like above/below the bumper, front of the bed (inside) seem to be common places I've seen.

Personally, I don't have a tow bar (yet?), so my input is limited to linking other threads...

Here's an example one from following a link from below in "Similar Threads"
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?121812-tow-bar-storage-mount

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?22206-towbar-on-bumper
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92163-Tow-bar-mounts-How-did-you-mount-yours
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?21593-Tow-bar-stowage

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Artisan has a pretty good setup on his 925.

I'm still mulling the idea also as to where to put them. Front bumper is great except for 2 things: 1) these trucks are front heavy even without a winch. 2) with a winch they're even more front heavy and the added leverage of the frame extensions would make that even worse.

I contemplate a towbar mount as a replacement for the bumperettes. I contemplate a mount under the bed. Most I contemplate, as no clear resolution has presented itself. ..

I hate to give up bed space for towbars, especially at the front wall. I hate to add more weight to anything that folds down.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried :

1) sliding it under the bed above the rear tool box - kept pinching fingers when sliding the legs in or out,

2) on top of both tool boxes with wood riser to keep it level -traveled OK, but took a lot of strapping to secure it, and rough on my back reaching under the bed,

3) Then finally reversed the top bumper shackles on top of the winch, and placed the legs behind that. This seemed to work best, as it was easy to put up and strap down. I've traveled 100's of miles with it there, and put it up and removed it many times without pinching fingers or straining my back. I haven't need to worry about theft, yet, but a small chain through the 1" pin holes at the ends of the legs should work. Doesn't interfere with opening and latching the hood.

I haven't tried it on a non-winch truck yet, but you did say you had a M925.

Pics later this evening.

74M35A2

I tried :

1) sliding it under the bed above the rear tool box - kept pinching fingers when sliding the legs in or out,

2) on top of both tool boxes with wood riser to keep it level -traveled OK, but took a lot of strapping to secure it, and rough on my back reaching under the bed,

3) Then finally reversed the top bumper shackles on top of the winch, and placed the legs behind that. This seemed to work best, as it was easy to put up and strap down. I've traveled 100's of miles with it there, and put it up and removed it many times without pinching fingers or straining my back. I haven't need to worry about theft, yet, but a small chain through the 1" pin holes at the ends of the legs should work. Doesn't interfere with opening and latching the hood.

I haven't tried it on a non-winch truck yet, but you did say you had a M925.

Pics later this evening.
Yes please. Pics of #3 would be fabulous. Thanks.

74M35A2

Artisan has a pretty good setup on his 925.

I'm still mulling the idea also as to where to put them. Front bumper is great except for 2 things: 1) these trucks are front heavy even without a winch. 2) with a winch they're even more front heavy and the added leverage of the frame extensions would make that even worse.

I contemplate a towbar mount as a replacement for the bumperettes. I contemplate a mount under the bed. Most I contemplate, as no clear resolution has presented itself. ..

I hate to give up bed space for towbars, especially at the front wall. I hate to add more weight to anything that folds down.
Completely agree. I'll post a pic of what I decided when it is done. Still TBD. Thanks.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CBR Metalworks makes a dandy bracket for them . Search for that.
I have a set from CBR, nice locking clamps, I have not mounted them yet. He is suppose to be fabing more for sale.
I'll get another set for the second tow bar I have.

dmetalmiki

My towbar lives on the frond wing (fender) and is ready available and I like the (addition to) an ugly look. On one of my trucks the pioneer rack goes there..Same reason.

Last edited:

Artisan

Do everything you can to add weight to the rear, and as
far back as possible. I added a civilian hitch / anti-crash
bar and a Medium towbar mount w/ bracketry back there
along w/ some lights and upgraded air outlets etc. and
a ladder.

But if you have to go up front just mount it and make a
Strong Arm bar to hold it up at maybe a 45 degree or so.
I bet it would look really cool too.

Click HERE to see what I did for a Towbar mount.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics of current setup as promised. There are no permanent modifications required. I actually forgot to tighten the strap one time and drove about 25 miles without it moving. I just leave the feet attached, but if you're worried about light fingers, you could of course remove them.

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0912.jpg IMG_0913.jpg

It may be hard to see, but the legs are not connected.

Last edited:

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got your tow bar in! Thanks again.

I've been keeping mine leaned up against the vertical mount for the muffler. One leg on each side. Two tiedown straps, one top and one bottom. Won't budge, keeps the water out.

74M35A2

I've been keeping mine leaned up against the vertical mount for the muffler. One leg on each side. Two tiedown straps, one top and one bottom. Won't budge, keeps the water out.
Thanks, and I hope to never use it! Post a pic of your's mounted, or as we say, it never happened!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's a good idea, also. I use my tow bar all the time so I need easy access, but if I carried it in case of a rare breakdown, I'd probably put it higher on the truck like that, or secure it in the bed.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I did on my M923 and M925A1. Got my safety tow chains on standby right by the towbar;-) Several guys have copied my work and made their own towbar brackets. This towbar bracket is USGI off of a M113 I believe.
I like it! A Prius bumper :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks