• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty

cucvrus

020.jpg021.jpgMr Rusty had both door jams sealed and painted today. I need to keep moving on this job. I have a few weeks work to do on it. I want to have the fenders and the truck running by weeks end. I hope to get that done.

cucvrus

016.jpg021.jpg022.jpgMr Rusty had the door jams painted and the doors are back on for good. Tomorrow the front fenders are going back on. After I pull all the glow plugs out and check them. Progress.

cucvrus

005.jpg009.jpgMr Rusty lived up to his name again. These are the glow plugs that I pulled from Mr Rusty. hey are a bit rusty. But they all worked. I tore the wires on the 2 rear ones on the drivers side. No problem I have easy access to the wiring and glow plugs. I have no fenders on at this time. I polished them all with a 2" Rolok polishing disc. I will be repairing the wires and reinstalling the glow plugs in the AM after coffee.

BnaditCorps

View attachment 586704View attachment 586705Mr Rusty lived up to his name again. These are the glow plugs that I pulled from Mr Rusty. hey are a bit rusty. But they all worked. I tore the wires on the 2 rear ones on the drivers side. No problem I have easy access to the wiring and glow plugs. I have no fenders on at this time. I polished them all with a 2" Rolok polishing disc. I will be repairing the wires and reinstalling the glow plugs in the AM after coffee.
o my that rust is so bad

cucvrus

019.jpg020.jpgMr Rusty had 2 bad wires on the drivers side rear glow plugs. I cut 2 ends off of a parts harness and repaired the harness and installed the glow plugs.021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg024.jpg025.jpgMr Rusty now has a complete front end. The new fuel tank has been installed. Tomorrow I have 3 sets of battery trays to undercoat. I want to have Mr Rusty moving under his own power by tomorrow end of day. I have a lot of sanding and painting tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and give a hand. Free tuition for this week only in the auto body paint and repair class. Wednesday , Thursday and Friday 8 - 4 .

cucvrus

I reattached all the wiring and cables to the under hood fenders and inner aprons. i was distracted by Terminus M1009 and the undercoating was not dry on the battery trays because of the change in outside temperature. It is getting colder at night here in south central PA. And that means I must get rolling faster on Mr Rusty. Snow season is coming fast.

cucvrus

007.jpg008.jpgThese are a few of the updates I do my CUCV's. I move the heater hoses from under the rear battery tray to some nice P clips and get them up so you see them and they are not hanging up under the trays rubbing sharp edges. 009.jpgAlso I add this ground cable and run the other end to the right alternator bracket nut and connect the smaller wire to the negative battery post on the front battery. Good grounds are just that good. Helps keep the headlamps bright. Now I don't worry to much on my own since I have the LED head lamps.

cucvrus

Mr Rusty was not very cooperative today when it came time to start him. The batteries are low. I looked at them and 1 was from September 2010 and the other was a January 2014. I am going to suggest that he get me 2 new batteries. The 2014 does not load test and the 2010 does. But I think it would be best to replace in pairs. Thank you and have a great day.

cucvrus

011.jpgThis time I was befuddled. I drove Mr Rusty to the garage and did all the work to it. When I went to start it I could not get it to pick up fuel. I thought about the muddappers and checked all the new fuel lines and primed the filter. I used the mighty vac. Nothing. I then disconnected the main fitting at the fuel pump. No fuel. 009.jpgThis is the rust and corruption that was in the pump. Then the bonus piece. 010.jpgThat is the top of the lever that is connected to the diaphram. Mr Rusty is running and starting as designed.

kkcshipp

View attachment 586812View attachment 586813Mr Rusty had 2 bad wires on the drivers side rear glow plugs. I cut 2 ends off of a parts harness and repaired the harness and installed the glow plugs.View attachment 586815View attachment 586816View attachment 586817View attachment 586818View attachment 586819Mr Rusty now has a complete front end. The new fuel tank has been installed. Tomorrow I have 3 sets of battery trays to undercoat. I want to have Mr Rusty moving under his own power by tomorrow end of day. I have a lot of sanding and painting tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and give a hand. Free tuition for this week only in the auto body paint and repair class. Wednesday , Thursday and Friday 8 - 4 .
i broke off several bolts and back nuts taking off one of the inner fenders. Where did you find replacements?

rsh4364

View attachment 587651View attachment 587652These are a few of the updates I do my CUCV's. I move the heater hoses from under the rear battery tray to some nice P clips and get them up so you see them and they are not hanging up under the trays rubbing sharp edges. View attachment 587653Also I add this ground cable and run the other end to the right alternator bracket nut and connect the smaller wire to the negative battery post on the front battery. Good grounds are just that good. Helps keep the headlamps bright. Now I don't worry to much on my own since I have the LED head lamps.
Good thinking on heater hoses,Im gonna do the same.And I learned from my first 1009, grounds, grounds, grounds.

cucvrus

i broke off several bolts and back nuts taking off one of the inner fenders. Where did you find replacements?
I usauly just toss all the bolts and use new bolts. you can buy the J nuts at a hardware store. And they have the sem bolts also at most auto body parts and paint stores. If you want I can send you some I have hundreds that I saved over the years of the OEM bolts and the J nuts. I also have the 5/16" torx 40 bolts that I use on everything now.

cucvrus

009.jpg007.jpgMr Rusty must have been involved in a front end collision. It appears that the steering column has been broken loose from the dash and the safety hold downs have been sheared. I took notice to it because the shift indicator would not work and was dragging on the column housing. I will address that issue tomorrow,. I think I can loosen all the bolts on the column and slide it back into place. Could be from an abrupt stop while plowing snow. i wear a seat belt at all times so I never have that happen that I get throw forward. I have seen it happen before. I have hit a few things under snow that made the truck stop fast.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks