• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Help Needed on Fuel System

TroyHog

Hey guys - thanks for all your help. I am needing advice on getting my 002A running. Currently I work for a Rural Electric Cooperative and farm. My 002A doubles as a backup genset and also I run my welder off it for farm repairs.

Right now we have 12,000 people out of power (including my farm) due to a freakish snow storm. Last night when they finally released us I went home and fired my generator up to power the house. It ran normal for a little while and then the rpm lowered and it barely ran for a couple of minutes and died.

Inspection of the tank reveals what looks like that algae growing in the fuel. The pumps are not returning fuel to the tank.

Do you guys know how deep I'm going to be on this? Are the pumps repairable? I had a little trouble with it last summer and changed all the fuel filters. The column strainer in the tank is plugged and so I know I've got problems. Do I need to remove the entire fuel tank? Last night I tried to run a hose off the bottom of the aux pump into a 5 gallon can of diesel but it wouldn't run off that either.

Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Pull the filters out of the two fuel pumps and clean them. Then pull out the two fuel filters out, (and I hope you have new ones on hand) and change them. Then look at the fuel/water separator. See if its plugged. Cleaning the tank is hard with out removing it. I dont think its hard, but then I have done it a "few" times.

TroyHog

Guyfang,

Thanks for the help. Is there anything that a farmer is going to damage when taking the pumps apart for cleaning? I will consult the TM for location on the water/fuel separator. Did I have the theory right on the aux/pump? Should it have picked up the fuel in the diesel can and ran on it? When I get done with all these outages I will take pictures and may lean on you later if that is ok. Normally snow does not bother the power lines, but this time man it handed it to us. I was so mad last night about midnight when my trusty generator would not run that I could have spit nails. I really blame this on the fuel. In the old days you could leave a dozer sitting for years and fire the ol gal off and use it. Now it seems that every time I turn around something is ruined due to old fuel.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottoms of the fuel pumps are removeable, and there should be a filter screen in place.

Untitled.png

If your pumps or separator and filters are clogged, it would have run a short time and died. The three 'cans' on the side of the set are the separator and the (2) fuel filters. If this is an important piece of machinery to your operation, after you get through this you should seriously consider upgrading the set to the adapter set that @Ray70 produces. They allow for more modern filtration products to be used AND the ability to change them out much more expeditiously. He makes one for the oil filter too I believe?

If your tank is trashed, and you have replacement filters for the machine, I would personally run off a separate fuel source until you can clean the tank. Just disconnect the lines from and to the tank, and put into a new fuel can and run till you dont have to.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, the Aux pump should have also picked up fuel in your 5 gal can. BUT, that pump will only turn on, when the Float Switch in the fuel tank reads low fuel. The AUX refills the TANK, and NOT the rest of the fuel system. So if the Fuel Float Switch in the tank is non op, or if the fuel level in the tank is too high, the Aux pump will not come on. That could have been the case?

robertsears1

Throttle body spray cleaner melts the fuel residue off the screens in the pumps without damage. It will also do a good job on the tank but you will need to get it loose so you can move it around for cleaning. While cleaning the tank, you will get enough to slosh around so you can dump the chunks out. Also the screen in the filler hole can get that coating. I was ashamed at the crap that came out of my tank when I cleaned it last summer. You will need at least two cans of cleaner.

Ray70

Guyfang,

Thanks for the help. Is there anything that a farmer is going to damage when taking the pumps apart for cleaning? I will consult the TM for location on the water/fuel separator. Did I have the theory right on the aux/pump? Should it have picked up the fuel in the diesel can and ran on it? When I get done with all these outages I will take pictures and may lean on you later if that is ok. Normally snow does not bother the power lines, but this time man it handed it to us. I was so mad last night about midnight when my trusty generator would not run that I could have spit nails. I really blame this on the fuel. In the old days you could leave a dozer sitting for years and fire the ol gal off and use it. Now it seems that every time I turn around something is ruined due to old fuel.
Correction... Every time you turn around something has been ruined due to this NEW fuel! rofl
I bet something with 8 year old fuel in it is probably in better condition now than something sitting with last years diesel in it.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Your correction to my grammar is 100% accurate. My grandad had an old Allis HD21 (it is a beast - google it) and that thing would sit in the lean to for years between tasks. Fired up every time and never complained. These new fuels have cost millions in repairs and downtime.
I remember algae blooms being a problem back in the 70’s, so it’s not just a bio-diesel problem. But, working for the local transit company for 30 years here in Washington, one thing that always seems to be an issue is when they change products. With what ever product they use, there’s a certain amount of “film” or “residue” that adheres to the inside of the storage tanks and the delivery systems. When they change products, especially with 5 or 10% bio-diesel, there’s a wash-out that takes place. Much of the film and residue left behind from the previous product gets washed out. It plugs up the filters at the pumps and in the buses.

rustystud

I remember algae blooms being a problem back in the 70’s, so it’s not just a bio-diesel problem. But, working for the local transit company for 30 years here in Washington, one thing that always seems to be an issue is when they change products. With what ever product they use, there’s a certain amount of “film” or “residue” that adheres to the inside of the storage tanks and the delivery systems. When they change products, especially with 5 or 10% bio-diesel, there’s a wash-out that takes place. Much of the film and residue left behind from the previous product gets washed out. It plugs up the filters at the pumps and in the buses.
Hey "loosegravel" glad to see another Washingtonian here. I worked at Metro, I guess you worked at Pierce transit ?
That whole fuel garbage thing has been going on for years now. That is why I always put an "Algaecide" and fuel treatment in my storage tank on every fill up. "BioBor" is my favorite algae killer and "Pri-D" is my storage go-to treatment. I also use "Opti-Lube" to combat the lack of Sulphur in the diesel fuel.
This has worked well for me for over 30 years now.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Hey "loosegravel" glad to see another Washingtonian here. I worked at Metro, I guess you worked at Pierce transit ?
That whole fuel garbage thing has been going on for years now. That is why I always put an "Algaecide" and fuel treatment in my storage tank on every fill up. "BioBor" is my favorite algae killer and "Pri-D" is my storage go-to treatment. I also use "Opti-Lube" to combat the lack of Sulphur in the diesel fuel.
All great suggestions Rustystud! I try not to admit that I’m anywhere near Seattle. I actually live in Enumclaw. But I did work for Metro Transit. I retired out of Bellevue Base in April 2022. I consider myself to be very lucky to “get out” early at 60. I won’t bore the readers of this thread why I just couldn’t last any longer. But, I’m sure that you can relate!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look what the cat dragged in... good to see you around these parts Rusty

TroyHog

Thanks for all the replies. It is really nice to talk to people that have forgotten more than I will know on things! When we get the power back on to everyone I will post pics of this fuel project and maybe you guys can help me some more. I think I am just going to take the tank off and start there. Clean the screens in the pumps, replace the filters again, and so on. Let me know if there is a link to whomever has an alternate set up for the filters that is more user friendly. This would be a good time to do that I suppose.

TroyHog

In your guys opinion that have been down the road I'm on: Am I better off buying the $240 fuel tank and not trying to clean up the old one. I am still working outages so I'm not sure how bad the inside of my tank is, but I'll take some pics when I can.

Ray70

Unless you have a lot of heavy rust pitting or pinhole leaks once you are done, you shouldn't need to replace the tank, but it all depends what you find when you clean it out.
typically you get a little water settling right around the drain valve, which can rust the tank, but the sludge in the bottom of the tank often keeps it from leaking until you clean it out.
It's never a bad idea to have a new tank on hand, but even on tanks with holes up to 1/4" dia. I have had 100% success sealing the inside of the tank with Caswell tank epoxy, but a fellow member here recently told me that Caswell was out of stock and Ebay sellers were gouging buyers at $100+ for the 5gl kit. Twice the normal price!
IF you have the time, clean it first then assess where you are at and let us know what you find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks