• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002A Not running right need advise

Ddmk18

Hi I am looking at a mep-002a to purchase this will be my first one so I dont have much experience with them. The one I am looking at the guy had removed the ip and rebuilt it but never reinstalled it. He wasn't sure how to put it back on properly so we installed it today it was the orginal one off the engine, he had the shim in place and used the same button over again. We turned the engine over to the PC mark on compression for number 1 cylinder and put 1/8 inch drill bit in the alignment hole on the pump. After bolting it all together and bleeding it the gen runs for about a minute or two and gets really hot then starts losing power and we shut it off, after we let it cool we started it back up and it did same thing. So my question is what could be causing this? Pump not rebuilt properly or injectors or could it be the timing?
Thanks for any advice Dillon

Isaac-1

I would say most likely the problem is inside the injection pump, but I would certainly check the injectors, did this guy try to rebuild the pump himself? Was there any smoke, if so what color, and was it hard to start?

Ddmk18

The guy rebuilt the pump himself. If I remember it started to smoke a little but nothing major. After we let it cool down if fired right back up but was losing power after about a minute and was super hot and you couldn't even put your hand on the valve cover.

PA GasPasser

I'm the one Ddmk18 is helping out. I have a few of these MEP-002As. I started in on this -002a last May--as in 2013 : / My daughter's wedding, my son's leave and another summer project or two made it easy to keep ignoring this project taking up my garage space. Here is the thread where you all helped me get started with the rebuild. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102043-mep002a-injector-pump/page9 I start at post #82. Post 33 has the picture of what I (like many others) found when I go the IP apart. Putting it back together was fairly straight forward. Well, except getting those two little "C" clips in--THAT is the reason I brew my own beer!!

Anyways fast forward to last Sunday and with some MUCH appreciated help, the IP is back on and we were able to get the engine to at least fire. Compared to my MEP-002a it is incredibly hot after only a few minutes of running. Running mine then shutting it down, 30+ minutes later my valve cover is cool to the touch, this one is barely safe to put your hand on. As per the TM we put an 1/8" wire (drill bit) in the hole in the IP casing and set the timing that way. We then found TDC (#1 cyl) and lined up the PC mark, tightened it all down and went from there. We noticed that there is a grove in the toothed part of the IP that the 1/8" wire fits in. I'll look in the post I linked to and see if there is a pic that shows what I mean and reference it. I wonder if that is the proper orientation of the 1/8 wire? Maybe we're 180deg out on the timing. I just didn't think it'd run that way. We'll take another look at it soon, but work and Reserve Duty are gonna keep me away for a few days.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Edit: Look at post #116 in the above referenced link. Then look at picture#4 That grove in the gear face is what we aligned with the wire. Could this be our error?

Last edited:

jamawieb

I'm the one Ddmk18 is helping out. I have a few of these MEP-002As. I started in on this -002a last May--as in 2013 : / My daughter's wedding, my son's leave and another summer project or two made it easy to keep ignoring this project taking up my garage space. Here is the thread where you all helped me get started with the rebuild. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102043-mep002a-injector-pump/page9 I start at post #82. Post 33 has the picture of what I (like many others) found when I go the IP apart. Putting it back together was fairly straight forward. Well, except getting those two little "C" clips in--THAT is the reason I brew my own beer!!

Anyways fast forward to last Sunday and with some MUCH appreciated help, the IP is back on and we were able to get the engine to at least fire. Compared to my MEP-002a it is incredibly hot after only a few minutes of running. Running mine then shutting it down, 30+ minutes later my valve cover is cool to the touch, this one is barely safe to put your hand on. As per the TM we put an 1/8" wire (drill bit) in the hole in the IP casing and set the timing that way. We then found TDC (#1 cyl) and lined up the PC mark, tightened it all down and went from there. We noticed that there is a grove in the toothed part of the IP that the 1/8" wire fits in. I'll look in the post I linked to and see if there is a pic that shows what I mean and reference it. I wonder if that is the proper orientation of the 1/8 wire? Maybe we're 180deg out on the timing. I just didn't think it'd run that way. We'll take another look at it soon, but work and Reserve Duty are gonna keep me away for a few days.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Edit: Look at post #116 in the above referenced link. Then look at picture#4 That grove in the gear face is what we aligned with the wire. Could this be our error?
PA GasPasser, I had a similar situation with a MEP-003a. The army went thru the machine and installed a new pump. When I got it, it would start but get incredibly hot, the heads would get over 400 degrees. I pulled the pump and found it was 180 out, after I installed it correctly everything ran perfect.

You are correct with the alignment of the wire and the gear face. The wire falls into the long grove that is on the gear face.

PA GasPasser

Thanks for all the help! No updates yet. I'm out of town for military duty. I hope to get back to this sometime this week if my schedule and Ddmk18's allows.

edit: I guess we were replying at the same time! Lo!l Doing this on my iPhone isn't the quickest.

Last edited:

Ddmk18

Ok got an update on the issue. Tonight we finally had time to get together and take a look at it again. Upon checking the timing again it appeared to be correct so with little to loose we pulled the pump back and and set it 180 degrees out. It fired up and ran fine it didn't get near as hot as before we let it run for about 10 minutes before shutting it down and everything seemed good to go. We didn't have a way of load testing it but that will be next. Thanks to everyone for the replies and ideas to help us fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks