• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a

CTXKIGER

Hi,

I am new to this forum and not sure if this is will be posted in the correct spot. My apologies if it doesn't. I am having a problem with a MEP-002A I just purchased from the military. I noticed that someone had been into it(unbolted the cowling etc) before and left the cover off the rpm sensor. The oil and fuel had also been drained. I put it all back together and topped off all the fluids. I also had to replace the batteries.

I tried to start it but all I get is a loud click noise on the side opposite the batteries. I believe it is the governor engaging or disengaging. I do here a clicking type sound when it is in prime mode for auxiliary fuel. It makes no sound at all when in the position of prime for the mounted fuel tank. Also, it is not pumping fuel to the filters as I had the drain cocks in the open position and no fuel flowed out. The starter does not engage and appears not to be getting power.

The dash lights do work and so does the battery indicator gauge. The batteries are fully charged.

Would the RPM sensor cause the fuel not to prime and the starter not to engage? How do you test and then adjust the rpm sensor? I found and printed out the technical manuals for this unit. I did not find anything for diagnosing this problem when reviewing the manuals. Some advise would be much appreciated.

thanks

Jason

Try jumping the power from the battery to the solenoid on the starter with a piece of wire. If it engages, its the circuits in the generator starter control. If it does not, its the starter or solenoid. Just make sure you have power at the battery connection on the starter with a volt meter.

CTXKIGER

Ok, so the generator is cranking now but it is not getting fuel. I can hear the fuel pump clicking when in auxiliary mode but nothing in standard mode. Also, opened the drains on bottom of filters and no fuel is being pumped through the system. I am perplexed as to why the auxiliary pump is working but not the main pump. Any ideas?????????????

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There should be 3 pumps. One for different settings. Did you remove the bottom of the pumps and inspect/clean them?

steelandcanvas

Auxiliary mode is for drawing fuel from a source other than the onboard daytank. The TM should explain the different fueling sources. Do you have a digital volt meter? I would check for voltage where the power wire connects to the pump for the daytank.

CTXKIGER

Ok i cleaned the pumps. The auxillary pump works like a champ. Still nothing from the other two. I unhooked both lines to the primary pump and insured that they are free from obstructions. I have no idea how to unhook the power to the pump so that i can check it for voltage. Can someone please advise? I cant find it in tm, thanks

CTXKIGER

Ok sorry for the repeat posts. I found the right connections to the pumps. All three are getting the proper voltage. Can the pumps be disassembled and repaired electrically or must they be replaced? Is there a source for new pumps?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok i cleaned the pumps. The auxillary pump works like a champ. Still nothing from the other two. I unhooked both lines to the primary pump and insured that they are free from obstructions. I have no idea how to unhook the power to the pump so that i can check it for voltage. Can someone please advise? I cant find it in tm, thanks
What TM are you looking in ?

jeepin

Another quick tip, make sure you have the polarity correct on the battery cables. Solenoid won't engage if you have the cables swapped.

CTXKIGER

I did swap the wiring yesterday and the primary pump still did not work. It did however make a click sound like it was trying. I think it may just be stuck. I just unhooked the output line and filled with oil. Maybe that will help lubricate the pump and get it unstuck?

coxju04

It's wroth a try. If you haven't got it running by the time I get back States, I will come by and help you. As I live right down the road from you.

dangier

I did swap the wiring yesterday and the primary pump still did not work. It did however make a click sound like it was trying. I think it may just be stuck. I just unhooked the output line and filled with oil. Maybe that will help lubricate the pump and get it unstuck?
If you had a click, that may be good news. These pumps are relatively easy to take apart and clean. Un-bolt and take to a bench to take apart and clean/lube. The bottom of the pump turns to unlock (see the pins and slots on the cap). There is a sliding plunger and two check valves with a spring, lock ring and a strainer. Just keep track of how it came apart and don't let any pieces get away from you. 3 of my 4 units had stuck pumps. All run perfect now. Another thing-the power feed to the pump (after the disconnect plug), has a capacitor bolted to the frame support that you do not need and can cause trouble when you do not expect it. Cut the line at the capacitor and butt splice the center wire back together. The outer braid can be pulled back to the splice and left (or taped up/heat shrink if you wish). You also don't need both pumps to run all the time. One will carry load if pumping ok. Just pull the second pump off and put on shelf for spare (bypass fuel line for second pump).

All troubleshooting procedures I have looked for are in the TM's (34 is the most detailed-depot maintenance level). Just need to spend some time getting used to how military minds think. :mrgreen:

Good Luck!

PS-there is also a magnet in cap that needs to go back in on assembly.

Last edited:

CTXKIGER

Thank yall very much. I took both primary pps off and cleaned and cleaned. One is shot for sure as i couldnt ever get the plunger to slide smoothly. The other seemed to have cleaned up well but would not work when reinstalled. I will try bypassing that capacitor.

I moved around the fuel lines so that it would run off the auxillary pump. It would not fire with out the help of either so i believe yhe injector pump prob needs rebuilding. I should mention that i have never seen such filth as i found when cleaning the transfer pumps and the fuel screen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks