• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speddmon:

Assuming I go with a 200 amp transfer switch what size breaker in the main panel where transfer switch is hooked into. I will have to jockey some circuits into my subpanel to make room as the main panel is full. What size wire from breaker to transfer switch #4 (will be short distance 2-3")
If you are feeding the transfer switch with a breaker out of your main panel and then it's going into a sub panel, you can get by with putting a 60 amp breaker in your main panel, and using #6 copper wire from the main to the transfer, and the transfer to the sub.

PeterD

And as well, there is nothing to prevent breakers at both ends, which would allow smaller wire sizes, more suitable to the application.

As mentioned, the 200 amp transfer swtich requirement is only for automatic switch over systems, and there are some major other requirements (including the fact the generator must be sized to carry the full 200 amps as well) so I don't think we should go there in this thread! We might may everyone's head hurt then... :beer:

As to going pin and socket connectors, you can get twist lock connectors with the option for shrouded connectors. In this configuration (which can be retrofitted to any twist-lock connector set) the main holding is the shroud and the pins don't take any physical force. (These are the connectors that I use... very secure and good fit, and I didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on special connectors.)

And somehow I think I'm replying to almost identical threads on two forums! :beer:

3dAngus

What is a reasonable source of supply and cost for a manual 200a transfer switch. I just checked on ebay and they are priced all over the place.

PeterD

What is a reasonable source of supply and cost for a manual 200a transfer switch.
Our favorite cheap Chinese stuff store has one: Harbor Freight! I looked at it the other day when I was in with a friend, seemed reasonably well built--did not notice if it had a UL sticker or not (I should have looked, but the Chinese will put fake UL stickers on their fake stuff...)

It was not that cheap, over $200 IIRC. Big too.

Bill W

I have 400amp service into my house but previous owners installed a sub panel via a transfer switch to run basic essentials, I couldn't figure out why they did all that but after reading about all these ( nec ) code/regs I'll assume they did it this way instead of spending the bucks for a 400amp transfer and code/amp matching genset$$

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

And somehow I think I'm replying to almost identical threads on two forums! :beer:

That's why I haven't visited the "other" forum in many many months. Plus I want this forum to be the premier military generator information forum. While Smokstak is "technically" an engine forum, this one is dedicated to MV's and MV equipment

Isaac-1

Harbor Freight sells Cutler Hammer brand 100 and 200 amp transfer switches for a lot lower price than anyone else advertises the same switch. At the moment they are listed for $299 and $399, but they are known to go on sale from time to time. Ebay often has deals, particularly on used transfer switches, when looking also search on the term "double throw switch" also you will often find them listed with breakers and other electrical equipment instead of in the transfer switch section. I have bought 3 off ebay all at very good prices, but it can take time to find a deal.

Ike

p.s. one other brand to check out is Ronk, they use aluminum cases so are light to ship, and often show up on ebay both new an used, I bought one of their 400 amp switches for use with the generator I put at my elderly mother's house (the surprisingly short lever arm is easy for her to use compared to some others), the electrician that installed it was impressed with its design also. (I have also seen these manual switches rebranded and sold under the Generac label)

storeman

For what it may be worth, Square D makes a very inexpensive switch for their service panels that mounts in the upper breaker location of the panel and has a bracket the slides up into the location of the main breaker switch handle. This provides a code approved transfer switch right in your normal panel serving the normal breakers going to the house.

The way it works is this - you wire your genny into the 2 pole breaker in the upper right slot, and it stays disconnected from the busway in the panel unless you move the bracket which forces you to open the main breaker - then you can close the breaker to the genny. This makes connection of the genny to the grid impossible.

The great thing about this is you can select any of your normal loads to run on the genny! AND ITS CHEAP, SAFE and CODE LEGAL.
pistonium,
I have read about the square-d transfer switch but can't locate it on their website or anywhere for sale. do you have info and a source?
jerry

PeterD

I think on Harbor Freight, the way to go is find a coupon, and get some dollars off... Those prices sound about what I noticed when I was there. More than I'd be willing to pay at this point. I do have two high current contactors (three phase/three contacts) that I may use for a transfer switch but that will be next summer's project.

3dAngus

My main breaker panel is upstairs on the second floor. I can't run wire up there from a generator. I have to have an electrician do an install on the street side of the meter, if it is code permissible, where the underground cable runs to the house. If it is not permissible, I'm just going to do it the old fashioned way, and manually shut off the main prior to any hookup. My Mep003 will run both upstairs and downstairs air and heat, and the energy sucking electric hot water heater as well..

Isaac-1

There are some interesting meter base transfer switches available on the market (some manual, some automatic, some attach between the existing meter and base, others provide a base) , these replace your normal meter base and provide a place to plug in a 50 amp RV style power cable, which might make better sense in your situation. In some areas utility companies are subsidizing these, it may be worth a phone call to ask your local electric company.

Ike

storeman

There are some interesting meter base transfer switches available on the market (some manual, some automatic, some attach between the existing meter and base, others provide a base) , these replace your normal meter base and provide a place to plug in a 50 amp RV style power cable, which might make better sense in your situation. In some areas utility companies are subsidizing these, it may be worth a phone call to ask your local electric company.

Ike

Ike,
got a link to one of these? i'd like to learn more about them. thanks.
Jerry

peyton

Ike
Around here (Houston) the utility company is replacing our meters with so-called "smart meters" and, far from subsidizing them, is charging us $3+ per month for them. This is probably the wave of the future for a lot of us so beware ... yoiur meter based transfer switch may have to be changed out sooner or later.

Peyton

3dAngus

That's true. No problem. He can just install it, if I decide to go that way, on the other side of the meter. He has access to cabling on both ends of the meter.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks