• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Saved the Day

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blue Ridge Mountain EMC came by very early in the morning and told me they had an emergency and that my power was going to be cut off all day. I work out of my home a lot of the time and need reliable power for phone, computer and internet. I fired up the MEP-003A, threw the transfer switch and was immediately back in business. We have been having very hot weather so it was good that my geothermal HVAC system was able to keep running on the genset. Buying that generator was one of the best ideas I've had. It's funny that the loud noise doesn't sound so loud when you really need the power. I'm amazed that when I start the genset after being idled for many weeks, it always comes back up to the correct RPM/frequency without any adjustments required. This genset has been extremely reliable.

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man that's great! I've been working on my two 003's, it's getting close. I know you put something in the fuel, to make it last. What are you using.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi scrapdaddy, we don't use any additives in our diesel fuel, but we have a tank on the back of our diesel Ford that holds ~75 gal. It is constantly fueling the tractor, generators, and of course the truck, and we keep it topped up. So there is never a situation where we are storing a bulk amount of fuel for very long before it is used, topped up, and refreshed. In case of emergency the truck can go dispense fuel where it is needed. Just one perspective, hope this is of some use.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't put anything in the fuel. I keep the tank only half full and have been changing it out for fresh fuel approximately every six months. I keep my M35A2 and A3 tanks full, as well as my two JD tractors, so I have plenty of reserve if needed. I've never had any problems with diesel going bad. I exercise the genset once per month.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just worry about the ULSD nowadays. The older stuff wasn't made for it. I try to always remember to use some form of lubricate in the fuel, some of them help with the fuel going stale. Thanks

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right, the low sulfur stuff gives poor performance, requires twice the fuel it seems to do the same amount of work--how green is that?????aua

DMFlorida

For ScrapDaddy on starting the MEP-003A. Remember the saysing "No white smoke, no fuel." Check that your fuel shut off solenoid is not shutting off the fuel and check the shut off lever on the governor springs to the "UP" position when the fuel shut off solenoid has been activated. I have yet to have a MEP-002A/MEP-003A not start if it has fuel and the cranking battery is cranking at a good RPM. If your RPM is too slow it will nbever start either.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my MEP-003A is saving the day again. We've been without power from Blue Ridge Mountain EMC for about 3 hours now due to a storm that went through. It's currently snowing, temperature is about 29, and the wife is very happy that she is cooking, oven is on, HVAC is running, TV on, well is pumping water, etc. I'm running the whole house with it and the genset isn't even breaking a sweat. These units are great. Started right up after pre-heating for about 20 seconds.:beer:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These MEP machines, just make me smile!. It almost seems that there is more fraternity around these MEP's, then around the M35's......

Keith_J

I just worry about the ULSD nowadays. The older stuff wasn't made for it. I try to always remember to use some form of lubricate in the fuel, some of them help with the fuel going stale. Thanks
Fortunately, the injection pumps aren't all that picky as long as you are using commercial #2 ULSD. The tappet and cam are lubricated by engine oil, other injection pumps are lubed by diesel and have issues. About the only thing lubricated by diesel would be the injection piston and its control collar.

But for peace of mind, an ounce or two of two-stroke engine oil per gallon is great insurance. Why not motor oil? Ash deposits. These are small engines and indirect injection, meaning deposits in the pre-combustion chamber can cause issues. Two stroke oil doesn't leave ash deposits. I shudder at the deuce owners using waste motor oil since the ash-forming stuff cannot be filtered out.

amolaver

+1 on Keith_J's comments about using 2-stroke oil as a lubricity additive. a duramax forum i used to frequent actually commissioned a lab to test a bunch of diesel additives that claim to aid lubricity. short version is many do little to nothing. some make things worse! 2 stroke oil was by far the best bang-for-the-buck option. if biodiesel is available, it also is MUCH better than petro ULSD and you only need a small portion of bio to 'slick up' petro (50:1)

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

ahm

iam4thapack

+1 on Keith_J's comments about using 2-stroke oil as a lubricity additive. a duramax forum i used to frequent actually commissioned a lab to test a bunch of diesel additives that claim to aid lubricity. short version is many do little to nothing. some make things worse! 2 stroke oil was by far the best bang-for-the-buck option. if biodiesel is available, it also is MUCH better than petro ULSD and you only need a small portion of bio to 'slick up' petro (50:1)

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

ahm
The only thing about bio-diesel in a generator/stand-by power setup is the potential for it to turn back into sludge after it sits unused for a while.