• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 004a no fault lights working plus more

KLChurch

Just bought an mep 004a and trying to start it up. At the control panel hit the run switch and no oil pressure light. No lights on the test switch also. The lift pump does not operate but I can jump it. I believe I can start the engine because there is a video of it running before I bought it. It was jumped at the lift pump. The video while running showed no fault lights. None of the gens electrical gauges where showing functional. But the engine gages were fine on the video. I installed a new watt transducer before a tried to start it because the old one was leaking tar. There were two wires loose at the bottom of the watt transformer that I donnot know if they need to be reconnected. The marking of one of the wires is 03ca18. Can not see the other wire marking. Can anyone out there make comments about this? Any help would be appreciated. Kris Church

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment Scan_0001.pdfA1 is the Thermal Watt Converter. I assume that's what you mean by "Watt Transducer". If not, look next to what ever you are talking about, and find the A number. If it is A1, then remove all the wires and attach them IAW the above picture. The wire number you wrote in your post above, doesn't exist.

Stop jumping things, as it just makes it harder to fix.

"At the control panel hit the run switch and no oil pressure light." What oil light? There is a gauge, but no light. Or do you mean no Low Oil Pressure light on the A9, (fault indicator)?

"No lights on the test switch also." This is the A9,( Fault indicator) I assume? If so, did you check the fuse on the A9 cover? If its missing, and it often is, the A9 will not operate. The gen set runs just fine without the A9. But it helps you find problems, so its nice when it works.

"The lift pump does not operate but I can jump it." By lift pump, I assume you mean the B1 and B2, (two electrical fuel pumps) on the right side of the set. How do you mean "jump it"? By using the S7, (Battle short switch)? Or by using a jumper cable someplace else? You should be able to force the E1 and E2, (electric fuel pumps) to work by placing the S1, (start switch) in the Run position, and then placing the S7 in the up position. The pumps should come on, IF the Day Tank is empty, or almost full. They should come on in any case. When the tank is full and the FL1 and FL2, (Fuel Level Sender) causes the pumps to slow down and come to a stop.

"The video while running showed no fault lights."
Lights wont come on, if the fuse is missing or the A9 is bad.

"None of the gens electrical gauges where showing functional. But the engine gauges were fine on the video." I assume you mean volts and hertz meter? That could be because the gen set is not putting out voltage. AC voltage drive both the AC volt and Hertz gauge.

Lets start easy. The wire schematics are on the doors of the gen set, as well as in the TM's, (manuals) that are here in SS for you to download. Give us some answers to my questions, and then we can get you headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

KLChurch

View attachment 770345A1 is the Thermal Watt Converter. I assume that's what you mean by "Watt Transducer". If not, look next to what ever you are talking about, and find the A number. If it is A1, then remove all the wires and attach them IAW the above picture. The wire number you wrote in your post above, doesn't exist.
My error the wire is D3CA18
The new and old unit says it is a Watt Transducer, but yes it is the Thermal Watt Converter

Stop jumping things, as it just makes it harder to fix.
(Haven't jumped anything. The guy I bought it from did. He is 1500 miles from me)

"At the control panel hit the run switch and no oil pressure light." What oil light? There is a gauge, but no light. Or do you mean no Low Oil Pressure light on the A9, (fault indicator)?
Low oil pressure light does not come on when I switch to the run position on the (off- run-start 3 way switch).

"No lights on the test switch also." This is the A9,( Fault indicator) I assume? If so, did you check the fuse on the A9 cover? If its missing, and it often is, the A9 will not operate. The gen set runs just fine without the A9. But it helps you find problems, so its nice when it works.
The fuse is fine i tested it with a multi tester. No lights when I use the test reset switch. (with the other switch still in the run position)

"The lift pump does not operate but I can jump it." By lift pump, I assume you mean the B1 and B2, (two electrical fuel pumps) on the right side of the set. How do you mean "jump it"? By using the S7, (Battle short switch)? Or by using a jumper cable someplace else? You should be able to force the E1 and E2, (electric fuel pumps) to work by placing the S1, (start switch) in the Run position, and then placing the S7 in the up position. The pumps should come on, IF the Day Tank is empty, or almost full. They should come on in any case. When the tank is full and the FL1 and FL2, (Fuel Level Sender) causes the pumps to slow down and come to a stop.
I call it a lift pump because I thought that the pump that supplies the injection pump fuel is normally called a lift pump. The person who soled it to me only new diesels but not generators so he jumped the pump to get it started.
When I placed the start switch in the run position and then turned on the battle switch the battle switch light turned on but no pump noise what I call the lift pump.

"The video while running showed no fault lights."
Lights wont come on, if the fuse is missing or the A9 is bad.
(Fuse is good)

"None of the gens electrical gauges where showing functional. But the engine gauges were fine on the video." I assume you mean volts and hertz meter? That could be because the gen set is not putting out voltage. AC voltage drive both the AC volt and Hertz gauge.
Yes I mean the volts and hertz meter. This is what I saw on the video while the engine was running. I am afraid to start the gen If something is wrong. I can turn over the engine with the start switch but without the lift pump running and filling up the filters it will take a long time.

Lets start easy. The wire schematics are on the doors of the gen set, as well as in the TM's, (manuals) that are here in SS for you to download. Give us some answers to my questions, and then we can get you headed in the right direction.
I have downloaded the PDF manuals and starting to get acquanted to them.

I am thinking to start with the Fault locating indicator and I see in the manual there is a testing procedure.

I really need help and I appreciate your feed back. Please help me.
Kris Church

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok. Let's get started. It's 24:30 here. Check the fuse in the fuse holder. Is it good. Mostly it's missing. Also, pull the lights out of the A9, to see if they are even there. Another item people like to steal. If the light bulbs are there, and the fuse is good, pull the A9 out, take off the side plate and see if the relay is in the socket.

KLChurch

Guyfang

Update

A9 Fault indicator:

All the lights are in A9. None missing.
Fuse checked and was there in place. 1 amp and checked with multi meter.
Pulled A9 out ready to check per the military manual procedures. ( Apply 24 volt to A+ and B- and use the Test or reset switch to see if all the lights come on)
I have a 24 volt power supply coming in Saturday via Amazon to do this test.

A1 Thermal Watt Converter:
Rewired A1 to the Schematic.
Some wires were not correct when i replaced A1
Rechecked twice to make sure correct

What do you think we need to do next?

Regards,
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang

Update

A9 Fault indicator:

All the lights are in A9. None missing.
Fuse checked and was there in place. 1 amp and checked with multi meter.
Pulled A9 out ready to check per the military manual procedures. ( Apply 24 volt to A+ and B- and use the Test or reset switch to see if all the lights come on)
I have a 24 volt power supply coming in Saturday via Amazon to do this test.

If you are careful, you can do this without a power supply. Hook up two leads to your batteries, or the slave recpt. Then touch them to Pins A & B. What I did was take spare pins out of an old C-Plug, and solder them to two wires. Heat shrink on the ends. Then stuck them on pins A&B. Then the wire to pin A hooked to Positive, pin B to Neg. In any case, its doable. If the lights do not come on, open up the box. See if the silver relay is in the socket.
A1 Thermal Watt Converter:
Rewired A1 to the Schematic.
Some wires were not correct when i replaced A1
Rechecked twice to make sure correct

This is always the danger to getting a set from someone you don't know. What has this person done to it? Lots of people remove and tag wires, so its easy to re hook up. This is a big mistake, when you do not know whats happened before. If someone else made a mistake, you repeat it, when you tag wires. The only time I MIGHT do this is when I KNOW that its hooked up right to begin with. I trust no one. So I ALWAYS unhook wires, and re hook them by the schematic. By the way, the schematic for the 004A and 005A are the same. As the schematics are not real great, you can look at the 004 and 005 manuals, to find the best printable schematics. for all intents and purposes. You have seen a graphic example as to why you should always do it right. If nothing else, you KNOW the A1 is wired right now.

What do you think we need to do next?

You do not need the A9 to start or run the set. In the mean time, push in CB1 and put S1 in the run position. Flip up the S7, to battle short. Do you hear the B2 and B3 electric fuel pumps? If not, we need to find out why. Will the engine turn over with the S1?

Regards,
Kris

Last edited:

KLChurch

Gutfang,

OK
Got a question first.
Since the A1 is wired correctly now and A9 is setting on my desk not installed:
If I reconnect the batteries, push CB1, put S1 it in the run position, and toggle battle start I should here the pumps running if everything is OK?
Kris

KLChurch

Yes it will, but the last time I tried and it was the first time it took several toggles for it to energize the starter. Then several minutes later it turned over the starter the first try.
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
1.Is the gen set fuel tank full?
2.Is the three position fuel petcock in the SET position?
3.Have you pulled out and checked the filters from the bottom of the B2 and B3?
4.Put the S1 in the run position. S7 in the up position.
4a.Pull one of the fuel pump wires apart. See if you have 24 VDC
4b.Crack the OUTPUT line, from the second electric fuel pump. Get anything out?
5. Tap the day tank. Is it full? or empty.

KLChurch

I can answer some of the questions but will have to check the unit to answer the others.
1. The tank has 15 gallons of fresh fuel.
2. I have to check where it is at. I havent changed any fuel valves. There is a valve on the side of the gen close to the fill port that says auxiliary, set tank, and off. It is positioned at set tank.
3. Could not unscrew the fuel filters. Even with a oil filter wrench. But the bottom of the filters there are drain plugs and I drained some of the fuel from all of them.
4. Will have to do that but wont be able to report back for a while.
5. The tank on the bottom of the gen is full 15 gallons.

Guyfang

Staff member
I can answer some of the questions but will have to check the unit to answer the others.
1. The tank has 15 gallons of fresh fuel.
2. I have to check where it is at. I havent changed any fuel valves. There is a valve on the side of the gen close to the fill port that says auxiliary, set tank, and off. It is positioned at set tank. That the three way valve, and if its on set, You are good.
3. Could not unscrew the fuel filters. Even with a oil filter wrench. The nuts to release the fuel filters are on top of the fuel filter heads. If I remember right, 5/8 socket? But the bottom of the filters there are drain plugs and I drained some of the fuel from all of them. I mean the fuel filters on the bottom of the B2 and B3 fuel pumps, on the right side of the set, hooked to the middle bracket, between the doors.
4. Will have to do that but wont be able to report back for a while.
5. The tank on the bottom of the gen is full 15 gallons. I mean the Day Tank. Its inside the front right door. If you look at TM9-6115-46-12, PDF reader page number 146, there is a nice picture of it. And all the things that could be also giving you a no fuel situation.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks