• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A, No output

KLChurch

The switch is suppose to be here tomorrow. So I will wait and install it.
Also the new IP washer seals that will arrive tomorrow.
Kris

Last edited:

KLChurch

Note:
Got the new washers.
The OD and ID are within Spec.
The thickness is .007 inch over spec.
I don't believe an over sized thickness is detrimental.
Also I have been witnessing a common trait with all the washers I have: They all have been ground on one side.
This tells me there is another specification that is very important. The thickness should not vary around the circumference.
Grinding the washers on a machine with a magnetic table would control the thickness easily within the forth decimal point.
Copper can be ground the same way with extra fixturing.
Kris

KLChurch

Installed Brian's switch and it fired off the gen on the first flip.
Also it seemed that the engine gages were reading better.
So what do we do now?
I guess I'm at Brians mercy on the switch, also he was very kind in helping find the solution.
All of yall have been so helpful.
If this new switch is the answer maybe my switch should have an autopsy.
Kris

Last edited:

KLChurch

Tried to start the gen again and it did not start on the first flip.
When I flipped the start after several tries I held the start for several seconds and she started.
I will go through the same routine for the rest of the afternoon in 20 min increments..
Holding the start position for several seconds was never done before to try to start the gen.
However I hold the start position after the gen starts until the volt meter reads

KLChurch

Update:
Started up the gen five times at 20 min intervals.
It started up on the first try each time.
Also I closed the breaker each time for 1 min.
I have not replaced the IP seal washers yet and the top line started dripping on the fifth start.
So prolly heat is effecting the leak.
Kris

KLChurch

Peter convinced me that my batteries do not have enough cranking amps. (500 and 600)
They can fail prematurely because of the starter draw.
Also they are not equivalent of each other. Possible explosion of one of them.
So I have found some commercial Napa batteries that has 1400 cranking amps and will install.
They are not cheap but very close to price of regular 750 cranking amp non commercial batteries.
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This shows what happens when the starter is bigger then the Ampacity of your Batterie. Batteries in Series are more susceptible to explosion especially when the ampacity and charge level’s are not equal ........

With greetings from Murphy.....
Peter convinced me that my batteries do not have enough cranking amps. (500 and 600)
They can fail prematurely because of the starter draw.
Also they are not equivalent of each other. Possible explosion of one of them.
So I have found some commercial Napa batteries that has 1400 cranking amps and will install.
They are not cheap but very close to price of regular 750 cranking amp non commercial batteries.
Kris
This shows what happens when the starter is bigger then the Ampacity of your Batterie. Batteries in Series are more susceptible to explosion especially when the ampacity and charge level are not equal .........

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if this is good or bad Kris, LoL
but I like to sleep well at night.....

For everyone to remember.....

The MEP Engines have compression of either 21:1 or 23:1
they are not like your Truck or commercial Diesel's with 14:1

Soooooo, they have very very heavy hitter's as starter's, nothing your used to from your sissy equipment......

Murphy is not a friend of Peter.:papabear:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an old saying:

Smart People learn from their mistakes,

Wise People learn from other people's mistakes.......

It's our Choice

Last edited:

KLChurch

Let me explain about Murphy's Law. "What can go wrong will go wrong"
In research mostly everything goes wrong. Until a success. Then the project is over. I have been in research since the early 70s
So I have so been acquainted with Murphy. So much he has become a friend. A friend that you don't want, but when he laughs at you he is in a way telling you "you screwed up"
How many friends actually tell you "you screwed up"
Kris

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is research, which I am quite familiar with on how it goes and then there is ignorance
Research is to explore the unknown, never been traveled path
So, Murphy scientifically is not correct, you can screw something up only when you know better, it's that short cut thing....

and it ain't a **** up unless you can't fix it and have to through it out because it's trash......

Let me explain about Murphy's Law. "What can go wrong will go wrong"
In research mostly everything goes wrong. Until a success. Then the project is over. I have been in research since the early 70s
So I have so been acquainted with Murphy. So much he has become a friend. A friend that you don't want, but when he laughs at you he is in a way telling you "you screwed up"
How many friends actually tell you "you screwed up"
Kris

KLChurch

Well,
Peter has very much perspective on research.
And what he is saying is true.
The research that I have been doing is when my customers need product that cannot be designed with their knowledge and Intellectual property . They don't have the budgets nor the expertise to do it in-house. This is very high end and high performance OCTG tubular products.
This is when I get the projects.I get the impossible projects. Impossible means many unknown and unforeseen hurtles that any normal person does not want to endure or partake. Plus "going where no one has gone before" . My mentor had 40 years in research before me and his mentor had 30 before him as chief scientist of Armco steel in the same field of use. And I am still learning. My uncle told me scolding there is nothing a person cannot make or do.
So Murphy is my friend

KLChurch

Guy,
Do you think we need to do further testing?
If so what do you think we need to do?
Load Test?
Continue start run stop switch test?
What?
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
This shows what happens when the starter is bigger then the Ampacity of your Batterie. Batteries in Series are more susceptible to explosion especially when the ampacity and charge level’s are not equal ........

With greetings from Murphy.....

This shows what happens when the starter is bigger then the Ampacity of your Batterie. Batteries in Series are more susceptible to explosion especially when the ampacity and charge level are not equal .........

In 1973, I had a set of batteries explode in my face. This is not something you want to happen.

Never run different type batteries in anything. Truck or gen set. Not good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks