• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 005A No output

flyanbrian

For us electrically challenged folks, can you please elaborate on what terminal voltages I need to check? I've done two single phase mods (MEP4 models) so far and have a few more waiting their turn....
I have to look back at my notes for the actual wire numbers. I moved one of the wires back to T8, then moved a wire from T9 over to T7. This way the power to the regulator is across two 120 volt phases that are 120 degrees apart, electrically speaking, which yields 208 volts. To the best of my memory this is what I did but I'll have to get back to you.

1800 Diesel

I have to look back at my notes for the actual wire numbers. I moved one of the wires back to T8, then moved a wire from T9 over to T7. This way the power to the regulator is across two 120 volt phases that are 120 degrees apart, electrically speaking, which yields 208 volts. To the best of my memory this is what I did but I'll have to get back to you.
Appreciate it--no hurry though...I won't get back to the gens for a couple weeks anyway...I do need these to remain 120/240 single phase though....but if I need to change anything (or check voltages somewhere)--that's what I need to know...thanks again :)

Kevin

flyanbrian

As stated in my earlier post, and confirmed today, I moved the X8HH wire back to T8 and moved the X9J wire to T7. With this setup 208 volts is supplied to the regulator via P13 pins L and M to the primary of T2. Someone should back me up on this, but if you wire it like this it should reduce the stress on T2 and it is easy enough to check the voltage across T7-T8 confirming 208 volts (I did and it is). I do not have a load test setup yet however, I expect it will perform better this way. If this is all correct it would explain why others reported slightly less capability on single phase, even with the MEP-004A (uses same regulator). Again, it would be great if other electrical types out there would confirm this with their wiring diagrams.

sewerzuk

As stated in my earlier post, and confirmed today, I moved the X8HH wire back to T8 and moved the X9J wire to T7. With this setup 208 volts is supplied to the regulator via P13 pins L and M to the primary of T2. Someone should back me up on this, but if you wire it like this it should reduce the stress on T2 and it is easy enough to check the voltage across T7-T8 confirming 208 volts (I did and it is). I do not have a load test setup yet however, I expect it will perform better this way. If this is all correct it would explain why others reported slightly less capability on single phase, even with the MEP-004A (uses same regulator). Again, it would be great if other electrical types out there would confirm this with their wiring diagrams.
I am glad that you went through this...but I'm still not sure why this happened to your set. I do agree that the transformer that was normally supplied with 208 was changed to 120v with my wire movements, but I thoroughly tested the set that I converted in the video...and output was NOT reduced when in single phase, in fact there was less voltage droop than when it was still in its original 3 phase configuration. I ran it under overload conditions for many hours with no problem...my -004a was able to pull over 20kw in short bursts in single phase, and over 18kw sustained for many hours. Others who have done the conversion as I outlined have had similar success.

I would very much like to test primary and secondary current flows in both single and 3 phase configurations on that transformer...but I don't currently have an -004a in my shop to test! If somebody else has the ability to fully load one of these (and is willing to take the time to configure, and re-configure their set) I would like to see that data...

flyanbrian

I think it was just my transformer's time to go actually. With all the single phase conversions out there working in this configuration it doesn't seem so important to the regulator. Actual current testing as you indicated would be valuable for data collection; however, mine is working now and I don't want to take a chance, if you catch my drift! We owe a great thanks to all those who put in the time and effort to work out the single phase conversion and I hope this little discovery helps to improve it. Again, I am new to these gensets so please back up my findings, I may be in error!

Thanks again to all that helped.

cvg74mx

Hey all
I have a 005A that ran great under load for 3 hrs, then voltage just died. Flashed field, voltage comes up, let go and voltage disappears as well..
Any ideas?
thanks
pete

Guyfang

Staff member
Pete,

Will the output come up to normal as long as you hold the start switch in the start position? If it does, turn the emergency run switch on, and let go of the start switch. Remain running? If so, do you have an idiot light come on? Need some more info here to try and figure out whats wrong.

BMinor9968

As stated in my earlier post, and confirmed today, I moved the X8HH wire back to T8 and moved the X9J wire to T7. With this setup 208 volts is supplied to the regulator via P13 pins L and M to the primary of T2. Someone should back me up on this, but if you wire it like this it should reduce the stress on T2 and it is easy enough to check the voltage across T7-T8 confirming 208 volts (I did and it is). I do not have a load test setup yet however, I expect it will perform better this way. If this is all correct it would explain why others reported slightly less capability on single phase, even with the MEP-004A (uses same regulator). Again, it would be great if other electrical types out there would confirm this with their wiring diagrams

I am having the same issue Flyanbrian. I have not taken the cover off the exciter box yet to check the T2 transformer. Reading the post about single phase conversion gets a little confusing. I followed the conversion video step by step and double checked everything before starting it up. I was able to start it numerous times over the course of about 6 months and it produced power every time until the voltage transducer/thermal watt converter took a dump on me. Replaced the thermal watt converter and everything worked fine again. The question I have for you is both T7 and T8 electrically the same? Someone with an Mep 005a corrected a field flashing issue by moving the X8HH16B (from T11 where it was moved in the conversion video) to T7 instead of moving it back to T8 where it came from when it was set up for 3 phase. Im guessing I should move X8HH16B back to T8 and move X9J16C from T9 to T7? Thanks Bernard

440RR6PAK

I acquired a MEP 005A That started and run fine, it should with only 27 hours on it. Held the start and voltage came up, soon as I let go it quit.
Connected two loads to the convenience outlet and while holding start up both loads ran fine. Let go and they quit. From all the info here and from Google, figured the transformer T2 may be the culprit. Sure enough had burnt wiring. Searched the web for replacement and settled for Inova Hightech for $230.
Installed it and used their guide on what to look for that may have been the cause. Found 6 fried rectifiers on the voltage regulator board. Replaced them with 1N4004 rectifiers easily found online. Started the generator and it produced voltage on all three terminals. Voltage adjustment works as expected. However at full RPM the HZ measures about 63 and the adjustment has no effect. Any Ideas?? Next is to convert to single phase.

Guyfang

Staff member
How were you adjusting the hertz? With the knob on the control panel? If so, its not supposed to adjust anything. Only if you have a MEP-103A, Precise Power Gen set. You adjust the hertz with the speed control knob, located slightly below the controls panel, to the right side.

440RR6PAK

Thank you sir!! Just figure if there is a knob under HZ it would do something...My bad
CRS I guess because now that you said that I remember a thread ,,,,RPM=HZ
Completed single phase conversion...adjusted HZ with RPM and voltages perfect.

Guyfang

Staff member
Never hurts to grab the -12 TM and read the first few chapters. You are NOT anywhere near the first to try and adjust the hertz with that knob. The first time I fooled with a Utility Set, I did the same. I was in Air Defense, and we had ONLY precise sets.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you sir!! Just figure if there is a knob under HZ it would do something...My bad
CRS I guess because now that you said that I remember a thread ,,,,RPM=HZ
Completed single phase conversion...adjusted HZ with RPM and voltages perfect.
Did you also move a few wires around so the meters read right?

joemcd198134

I have a MEP-005A generator I had replaced the relay box 30554-72-2601 and still have no power coming out and I am wanting to by pass the exciter could someone explain how to by pass it so I can get power coming out

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-005A generator I had replaced the relay box 30554-72-2601 and still have no power coming out and I am wanting to by pass the exciter could someone explain how to by pass it so I can get power coming out
FYI, you replaced the static exciter / voltage regulator A11 (30554-72-2601)

Do you have voltage on the convenience receptacle / AC Volt Meter when you hold the Stop / Run / Start Switch in Start after Genset started?
Test only briefly ( 2-3 seconds)][/QUOTE]

Guyfang

Staff member
Partner, you need to start your own thread on this gen set. It makes it hard to help you, if we are having to read 2-3 different peoples problems. If you need help with that, say something.

And if you have not read the TM's on the set, it would be a good idea to start. If you need help downloading the TM's, say something.

joemcd198134

FYI, you replaced the static exciter / voltage regulator A11 (30554-72-2601)

Do you have voltage on the convenience receptacle / AC Volt Meter when you hold the Stop / Run / Start Switch in Start after Genset started?
Test only briefly ( 2-3 seconds)]
[/QUOTE]
Yes after the genset is running when we do the field flash and don't even get to hold it for a whole 10 seconds before the reverse power light comes took the stactic exciter and noticed the transformer is burnt up looking to find one to replace it cause the whole stactic exciter that we found costs almost 3,000 dollars

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes after the genset is running when we do the field flash and don't even get to hold it for a whole 10 seconds before the reverse power light comes took the stactic exciter and noticed the transformer is burnt up looking to find one to replace it cause the whole stactic exciter that we found costs almost 3,000 dollars
I said briefly (2-3 seconds), not 10+ seconds in my instructions.
Is the excited circuit now still working, meaning after starting can you excite with Start, Stop, Run Switch again for 2-3 seconds (no longer than that)?
If not, then you need to repair the A5 Circuit Board.
The test with the excitation while Genset is running and you getting voltage on convenience receptacle verified that your A11 is not working correctly. T2 is one problem but there is also a large metal can capacitor in there which goes bad first and the voltage regulator board is probably bad as well.

To BENCH TEST A11 I would recommend to read and follow this post I did in 2019
MEP 004A A11 Exciter and Voltage Regulator Assembly
The link to the -34 manual, which also explains the A5 circuit is in this post

Note: I will no longer post any information on how to test / repair anything in this forum for obvious reasons.

We have seen an increase in owners who are in an overload with reading TM’s and following instructions in the last 18 month

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You basically bought a non functioning A11 from whomever you bought it from and installed it. The excitation test basically confirmed this fact and you posting your question here in this forum to begin with.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I acquired a MEP 005A That started and run fine, it should with only 27 hours on it. Held the start and voltage came up, soon as I let go it quit.
Connected two loads to the convenience outlet and while holding start up both loads ran fine. Let go and they quit. From all the info here and from Google, figured the transformer T2 may be the culprit. Sure enough had burnt wiring. Searched the web for replacement and settled for Inova Hightech for $230.
Installed it and used their guide on what to look for that may have been the cause. Found 6 fried rectifiers on the voltage regulator board. Replaced them with 1N4004 rectifiers easily found online. Started the generator and it produced voltage on all three terminals. Voltage adjustment works as expected. However at full RPM the HZ measures about 63 and the adjustment has no effect. Any Ideas?? Next is to convert to single phase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks