• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 006a

truckdude22

How loud are they at idle or load? Extremely? Not too bad? Videos seem quiet but then again so do the army trucks and airplanes. Kurz and root 60kw? I've heard as high as 100 decibels and as low as high sixties. I figured it would be similar to your average five ton or deuce. In Virginia noise can be a huge deal.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They are loud especially under load. You can add a good flowing muffler on top to quiet them down somewhat. Both ends are open for airflow when running so its still pretty loud though. Other than being loud they are good generators.
Will

truckdude22

Ok thanks.
I heard adding a muffler could increase buildup on engine especially if not at load. I just don't want body vibration level noise. I thought maybe I'd build a plywood box and line it with foam and cloth and put inlet fans on top.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It moves air alot faster than fans in an enclosure would provide. Not sure if the 006a's came with ask kits. It needs good open air flow at both ends. The newer TQ gens are much quieter. How much power draw do you need? The gen does not like to idle it wants to see a good load on it.

truckdude22

Running big welding machines, tig and stick. At first need to just run one or two at a time, but eventually planned to have at least 5 or six welding simultaneously. I was told for one machine I would need probably 20 kw. Lincoln and Miller 330 and 250 tigs. Pulling somewhere between 80 to 120 amperes

truckdude22

They are but I was under the impression with my big 4 pin and sleeve connectors I could run three phase and would just waste some power...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its a 3 phase gen. You can use 2 legs and the load will be a bit unbalanced. Prob not the best idea. You would only have 40kw with the 2 legs. A civ single phase gen would be a better option or get a 3 phase welder.

truckdude22

Okay, just not sure a single phase under 40kw will handle it. Considering rewiring to single, was told it's easy don't understand the voltages after though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not a good idea to run that unbalanced load. The mep006a can be converted to single phase. Some have had luck doing it some not so much. Alot of civ gens are switchable between one and three phase.

truckdude22

Did you have a link for the conversion? Have only seen references. I've been all over trying to find my options there because it looks like ill be pulling just shy of 200 amps. Or with two stick welders over 200.

Guyfang

Staff member
]Louder than a deuce?[/QUOTE]
I wear two hearing aids. Working 24 hours shifts every other day for 10 and a half years on the MEP-115A may have something to do with that. When its encased in an ASK kit, its much quieter. But you need a while to be able to sleep on top of it like we used to do. Unless your neighbors live several hundred meters away, ( or hopefully much farther) be assured that they will come talk to you about it.

Last edited:

truckdude22

Man I'm sorry. So much we don't know about low frequency.

One was selling for very cheap and I had the draw requirements to load it, but it would have been very dynamic. I don't want something so load it will be miserable. I've dredged this over a couple of posts but I was considering enclosing it in a box on a deuce with noise foam and cloth? If the top were mostly or partially open would I get enough air flow? Any info you have, having spent so much time on them would be appreciated.

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment Scan0001.pdf
Have you ever seen a ASK kit? I am going to try and attach a picture of an ASK kits for a 30 KW gen set. See attached picture. The kits were almost all the same, 15, 30 or 60 KW.

This picture gives you an idea what the parts looked like. To make it simple, you took off the outer skin, (doors, tops etc.) of the gen set. The radiator stays in its frame, (TM 9-6115-545-24P, Figure 78, items 7&8) along with the control panel, (TM 9-6115-545-24P, Figure 16, item 71). Put the ASK kit on the "frame" of the stripped down gen set, and enclose it, top, sides and bottom. The parts were covered in sound absorbing material. The only open "doors" were on top of the box, (See enclosed picture) Item 1 and 2, front and rear. Cooling air flowed from the rear of the set, through the Inlet turn, (Item 2.) down to, and through the main A.C., past the engine, through the radiator, and up through the Discharge turn, (item 1.).

The control panel was accessible by the door, Item 17. The control panel portion was NOT in the cooling path. It was separated somewhat. ALL doors were closed to run, except the two top doors. When you wanted to perform maintenance or look for leaks/problems, doors on the side could be opened. Very quiet. Until you opened the door while running. Kind of a pain in the butt to work on. Draining oil and coolant became a major chore. This part was poorly thought out. The whole rigmarole was bolted down on a M-200A1 trailer.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, yes, you could build an enclosure to encompass the gen set, any gen set for that matter, to keep it from raising the dead. I do not think it’s a big deal. You might even find one of these ASK kits for sale in EBAY or from the Gov. I have seen them for sale. They did not need any extra means to keep the set cool. No fans or anything else like that. The air flow is the exact same as if the set was without the ASK. Cool air is drawn in to the rear bottom doors, through the main A.C., past the engine, and through the radiator to remove heat and cool the radiator. Nothing different. As long as you keep all doors closed.

All parts were attached with locking mechanisms, so you could remove the ASK in a hurry, (HA-HA) if you had to replace the gen set. This was a monumental project to switch out gen sets.

Sadly, it was the intention of the army to retain all the parts removed when installing this MWO, (Modification Work Order). It was intended to be a semi-permanent application. But with the possibility to return the gen set to its original configuration. Any fool who spent longer than twenty seconds in the army would have known different. As soon as the kits were installed, commanders decided that it was unsightly to have large piles of gen set doors, tops and the ten million parts removed from each set, just lying around. What to do with all this “JUNK”? You bet-cha! Toss it all away. And that’s just what happened. Hundreds of these set were later sent to the scrap heap, because they could no longer be returned to the original configuration.

truckdude22

Yeah that would be ideal. I had seen them before but didn't know that's what they were until recently. I cannot find them for sale anywhere. I have never seen them off gens for that matter or referenced for 60kw. That being said it's a great reference point. If you see one please let me know. I don't understand why the military builds and buys things then tosses them. The load banks I was told were trashed also. When law enforcement reverts back to factory for resale that makes sense.

What where the upper components for? Kind of looks like the designer was playing Tetris when the idea hit him. Any idea what materials they used? We're they quieter because they were mounted on tq models or significantly quieter either way. 25%? 50%? You laughed at a quick swap? Does it take a long time? If you were pulling 100+ amps what would you buy? How would you set it up?

I may just have to build it, but if one popped up at a fair price I'd jump on it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a 30kw on trailer with ask. It is a lot quieter. The 60kw is slightly larger not sure if it would fit in the same ask but maybe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks