• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 006a

Guyfang

Staff member
What where the upper components for? Kind of looks like the designer was playing Tetris when the idea hit him. Any idea what materials they used? We're they quieter because they were mounted on tq models or significantly quieter either way. 25%? 50%? You laughed at a quick swap? Does it take a long time? If you were pulling 100+ amps what would you buy? How would you set it up?

The upper components directed the in and output, of the air flow. The air had to pass around a corner, (the openings on the gen set, were offset, from the openings of the upper components). As the components were covered in sound absorbing material, (no I have no idea what it was) it made the gen set much quieter. I would say the 60 KW in a properly installed ASK is no more loud then a 10 KW TQG, if that. Also, as the openings to the gen set, were offset, rain would not run directly into the set. When we march ordered, we simply closed the doors on top, and drove away. The exhaust side also permitted the hot exhaust to be somewhat cooled before being dumped into the atmosphere. Not important to you, as no one is going to shoot a heat seeking missile your way.

You can do the swap in a few hours. Its just with us, it was always a matter of time. And if you do not have the instructions, (that was the first thing that went in the trash after doing this job once) it's a pain. Reversing the swap was even worse. As the kits were not for general issue, when we received a gen set to replace one that was non op, it never came in a ASK. Invariably, we wound up doing this at night in some farmer's field. It never went well.

I think you could build something just as good. You are a metal worker, so I think this would be the easy part for you. You need to get smart about sound absorbing materials. Keep in mind such materials tend to melt when hot. It has to be constructed so you can do things like check the oil without needing a battalion of midgets armed with ten thousand wrenches. And making your electrical connections.

The question is, is it worth it? Time, materials and effort? I think if I needed 100 amps on a regular basis, I would use a 60KW. But I cant answer your question of what to buy. You need to answer that one. If you decide to build, try and go look at one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks