• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-016b hertz guage readings

Donaldjerome

When I start my mep-016b up I let it warm up then dial it in to 60 hzs via the fine throttle knob.. I plugged our chop saw in the shop to the convienance outlet when I start the saw up and put a load on the generator the hertz guage pegs out all the way to the right 64-65 hertz. Is something out of adjustment or should I be thinking the guage is bad? I have 2 mep-016b gennys and they both do this. I know household current is 60 hz how much can you deviate from this?

derf

I think sometimes power tools will generate interference. I think if you dial in the freq and the RPM of the gen doesn't change then you should still be generating 60Hz. Do you have an external Hz meter you can test with? Kill-A-Watt?

coyote62ny

one thing to always remember with mep gen sets is dont ever run the engine at less than 60 hertz start and shut down at 60 hertz or you will blow the a.c voltage regulator set the throttle to 60 hertz and leave it there.

ETN550

one thing to always remember with mep gen sets is dont ever run the engine at less than 60 hertz start and shut down at 60 hertz or you will blow the a.c voltage regulator set the throttle to 60 hertz and leave it there.

That is good advice. I bought the Kill a Watt and it has come in very handy. As far as your gage goes the sending unit is a black box on the right side panel inside the control box behind the output switch. My gage was acting funny, drifting, and through advice of people here I replaced the capacitors on the board in that black box. That fixed the problem.

Regarding the fact that the speed should not fall too low as damage to the voltage regulator can result, I did the following which works good. Where the throttle cable ends on the engine there are two screws with lock nuts that limit the travel of the lever that the cable pulls on. One screw limits the high speed the other the low speed. Simply run the set at 55hz and adjust the low speed screw to just contact the lever then run the set at 65 hz and adjust the high speed screw so it just touches the lever. Now you will have plenty of adjustment around 60 hz and never have an issue underspeeding the unit and damaging the regulator.

sky5031

mep016b/ mep021b

Does anyone here know what the part number is of the engine control board
used on mep016b (diesel engine) system, or even parts list for this board.
Anyone got a spare? Does anyone have any pictures of this board installed,
or of board/ sky5031

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks