• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 1040 won’t start

Jasonrs4317

Need some help my Mel 1040 will not power up. Batteries are charged crank switch is in normal position breaker switch in on position bit no power to panel. What might be likely causes that I can track down?

Jasonrs4317

I have ordered a new dc breaker switch as I did not see 24v across the lugs when it was in the on position. How likely is it that the control box is bad?

Jasonrs4317

Normall with the breaker OFF you'd see 24 volts across its two terminals and 0 volts with the breaker ON.
There is also a small circuit breaker in the Relay/Breaker box for the head unit power.
Where is the head unit power box with the relay/breaker in it.
Thank you for the explanation of the 24v breaker.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The control box (DCS) do go bad. One issue is they are supposed to be sealed to keep moisture out. Unfortunately sometimes moist air works its way in, condenses and causes corrosion.

Jasonrs4317

Is the symptom of a bad control board it just not coming on? What I experience is the lcd screen is black and doesn’t come on at all. And obviously no cranking either.

Jasonrs4317

The control box (DCS) do go bad. One issue is they are supposed to be sealed to keep moisture out. Unfortunately sometimes moist air works its way in, condenses and causes corrosion.
So I just went out side and pushed a few buttons on the panel and I can see the lights trying to come on when I push the panel lights button but they just flicker and don’t stay on. Any idea?

Guyfang

Staff member
You charged the batteries, are the connections tight?
Did you remove the battery connection to charge the batteries?
Did you TEST the batteries? Load test them?
Remove the connections, and test each battery separately.
Are they the batteries that came with the set? Are they new?
What readings do you get?

Flickering lights could mean bad/loose connections, or low battery voltage. And no, when the batteries are low, its not going to start. I have 4 batteries out in the garage, that I charged, and they read 12.2 volts. None of them are good. Load test the batteries if they are not brand new.

Jasonrs4317

You charged the batteries, are the connections tight?
Did you remove the battery connection to charge the batteries?
Did you TEST the batteries? Load test them?
Remove the connections, and test each battery separately.
Are they the batteries that came with the set? Are they new?
What readings do you get?

Flickering lights could mean bad/loose connections, or low battery voltage. And no, when the batteries are low, its not going to start. I have 4 batteries out in the garage, that I charged, and they read 12.2 volts. None of them are good. Load test the batteries if they are not brand new.
I have pulled the batteries out one is in great shape the other is not holding charge under load so it’s bad I have ordered a replacement. Before I pulled everything apart I saw 23.4 volts. Also the negative cables were a little loose at the slave connection.

Jasonrs4317

OK. High probability the computer has a problem. They use a big jump box to try and start the units. Since they couldn't get the hours off the screen it means the display didn't light up when they tried to jump it.
I am thinking that might be the scenario. But I did find that the negative connection at the slave connection was loose so once I get the new battery I will try this all again and then see what we come up with. Thank for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks