• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 1040 won’t start

Ray70

These new style gen sets do not like low batteries. So I would still get the one old battery load tested.
Note the word LOAD test, not Voltage test. Too many folks overlook that fact that a bad battery can quite often show a surface charge of around 12.4V, making if appear to be fully charged, but throw a load at it and there's absolutely nothing there to back it up!
If ever in doubt, get yourself a cheap $20 battery load tester. It will take the guess work out of battery diagnosis.

Jasonrs4317

These new style gen sets do not like low batteries. So I would still get the one old battery load tested.
Note the word LOAD test, not Voltage test. Too many folks overlook that fact that a bad battery can quite often show a surface charge of around 12.4V, making if appear to be fully charged, but throw a load at it and there's absolutely nothing there to back it up!
If ever in doubt, get yourself a cheap $20 battery load tester. It will take the guess work out of battery diagnosis.
I have a load tester and will test the “good” battery when I get home from a short trip I am on for today. Thank for the info.

Jasonrs4317

Go slow and make sure you don't have other problems.

When you get known good batteries in there see if it will bump over with the dead crank switch.

Before doing that see if you can spin the engine over by hand.
Definitely good ideas. I will do this for sure. Does the dead crank switch work if the DCS is faulty?

Jasonrs4317

Hey thank you to everyone for helping getting this gen set running. I did pick up new batteries but I also found that the slave connection was wired backwards. While this did not cause a problems likely unless you tried to jump it with that connection. Anyways we are up and running. Looks like it needs a thermostat so I am gonna look for that as it seems to be stuck in the closed position. Engine gets hot but is not letting coolant circulate through the radiator.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey thank you to everyone for helping getting this gen set running. I did pick up new batteries but I also found that the slave connection was wired backwards. While this did not cause a problems likely unless you tried to jump it with that connection. Anyways we are up and running. Looks like it needs a thermostat so I am gonna look for that as it seems to be stuck in the closed position. Engine gets hot but is not letting coolant circulate through the radiator.
Did you bleed the air out of the system with the bleed valve? Better get to reading the TM lots of good info in there

Guyfang

Staff member

One of the GREAT light shows of my life working with "Army Stuff", was watching some contractors repeatedly try and stick a jumper cable into a slave recpt. wired up backwards. And the fact that they continued to try, after the first screech and blinding flash of light, was unbelievable. Better then watching Boob Tube!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks