• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-501 Conversion & Modified Fuel System

rustystud

Well I finally got tired of my MEP-501 and decided to convert it to 240 Volts AC, (2KW) . Making it a MEP-531 basically.
I also changed out the fuel system. I don't know about all you guys out there running the small Yanmar engines, but every time I replace the fuel filter it is a pain in the butt to get the machine to run again due to air in the lines.
So I installed a 24 volt Faucet pump along with new "PTFE stainless steel" lines.
Now I just hit the start button and BAM ! She's up and running. There is also only two rubber lines to worry about now. All the rest are PTFE stainless. I installed a switch valve so I can use either the small factory tank or get fuel from my large tank which will be mounted in my M105 trailer later for the "Great Alaskan Adventure" . The switch right now doesn't handle the return fuel, but a 6 port switch is on order.

001.jpg002.jpg023 (2).jpg027.jpg024 (2).jpg031.jpg

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work. One of these days I'll finally get around to the genhead swap on the BAPU.

rustystud

Well I found out why my MEP-501 was being such a little ass all the time I owned it. There was some loose wires from the engine side in the electrical panel. I just "assumed" it was a fuel problem all along. Turns out the crimps where not holding and the wires where coming out, even though they used heat shrink tube on them.
This is why I am such an out spoken advocate for "soldering" the connectors. After I finish converting the electrical panel, I will go and solder all the connections. I have never had a problem after soldering a connection on a vehicle or anything else.
Here was one of the worst offenders. I re-crimped it for now.
002.jpg

What is so annoying is I would never had found this problem unless I had taken the wire loom apart. It was buried under the other wires and wire-tied together.
Remember this was a "factory" crimp too ! A crimp made with the "proper" tool, and it still failed.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I like what you did with the fuel lines. Great idea.

When I did this, I had a problem with the generator not matching up quite like it should have on the crank shaft & had the machine a little bit off the mounting plate. What generator head did you use?