• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803/831 Generator Control & Parameter Monitor by WIFI Demo

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm buying one. I'll be doing some videos to help with the install. The production model installs a little differently than the development ones.

Demoh

Kurt has really done a great job on these. While I havent seen the latest few revisions I know they get my seal of approval. Soon as I finish these projects I have and am caught up I will put one in my 802 and 803.

Lovetofix

I received my controller kits from Kurt the other day and I am quite impressed with the quality and style of his work. Also his packaging for mailing was top notch awesome!
It will probably be a couple months till I get them to Haiti and install them but will try to remember and post an update when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcld10

I just received mine as well and I'll echo what Lovetofix said above. And an exceptionally well written manual! I may have time to install this weekend.

69birdman

I received mine Wednesday, yes very well packaged. Simple follow along instructions.
I had it installed and running within an hour in a half. I didn't take many pictures of install, I'll leave that to Diesel addict, I'm sure he'll give a better presentation than I can.
Awesome work Kurt, thank you!

paine

I received mine Wednesday, yes very well packaged. Simple follow along instructions.
I had it installed and running within an hour in a half. I didn't take many pictures of install, I'll leave that to Diesel addict, I'm sure he'll give a better presentation than I can.
Awesome work Kurt, thank you!
I would like to hear more from the people who used the kit, looks like a great option and I would like to order soon!!

Weller

Really awesome news. Looking forward to install photos/walk-through. Reading through specs I see direct wifi (no router required). Possible to operate via router?

I see it has an IP address so assuming it can be done. :grin:

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

... Reading through specs I see direct wifi (no router required). Possible to operate via router?

If so, I would think you would have to have your router/wifi on battery back up (UPS) for use during pwr outages. I have my UPS system set to do a Router/PC shutdown in home office after 5 min pwr outage & text me on my phone that a pwr outage has occurred at home if I'm away. If you set it up that way you would have some residual battery capacity left in UPS prior to a required wifi/PC restart.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really awesome news. Looking forward to install photos/walk-through. Reading through specs I see direct wifi (no router required). Possible to operate via router?

There would need to be programming changes for that to be possible. In conversations with Kurt the idea was to be stand alone in an effort to prevent problems with routers that can happen when power gets flaky. It also means anyone looking to attack the system would have to be in radio range. Putting it on the router would require more code be added to implement at least basic security. Those are things to carefully consider when asking for this kind of connectivity.

I can tell you that after a lot of testing on my end I have grown to appreciate the system being stand-alone. I'm sure most of us have an extra device that would work well to use to keep an eye on the generator. For me I have an iPad setup to be my remote interface. I pop into settings and connect to the controllers WIFI then hit the bookmark for the web interface. Takes just a few seconds to do it and have the generator going through the startup sequence.

Weller

That's what I was thinking but you put it into words well. I figured Kurt considered this and I agree on the security. I was up all night thinking of where I can now move my 803a to, and get a truly silent experience in the house.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The system should have more than enough range to make that happen. I can control mine from down the block. :D

gatorbob

I haven't installed mine yet but reading through the instructions lead me to believe a few things...

1. From a wifi point of view, it's not a client. It's not going to join your existing wireless network / SSID. It's going act as it's own wifi AP. Your personal device (phone/PC) connects to it like a new wifi network.

2. I don't see where you can change the IP address of the controller. It probably hands out a fixed IP address to the client.

I think the cheapest/easiest way to add this to your home network is to buy a cheap portable wifi router on Amazon that supports "wifi-as-wan" functionality. I recall seeing this as a low as $30-40. These types of routers connect to a wifi network (i.e. the MEP controller) and let you rebroadcast as a different wifi network or bridge it over to your existing home LAN. I'd probably connect a mini-router to a LAN port on my existing home router with an ethernet cable. You'd likely need some address translation technology (NAT) technology on one of these routers to avoid complicated routing or re-addressing scenarios. You'd likely translate an IP address from your existing home LAN's network to 192.168.4.1 (the controller's IP address). Any device on your home network would be able to reach that translated address.

I am hopeful the web interface is written in a way that I can setup automatic monitoring and alarming from some other system. There are a few very low cost monitoring services out there that can check a URL, look for a certain result, and email you if that result changes. i.e. is the generator running? is the DC voltage less than X? Is the fuel level at Y?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, it is set up to be an AP (access point).
When a device such as a cell phone connects it is assigned an IP address. Additional devices can connect to it and they are assigned their own unique IP addresses.

A WiFi device does not need to be connected to the controller all the time. Connection is only necessary to start and stop the generator via WiFi. Once the generator is started the WiFi device can be disconnected. Reconnection is only needed to shut the generator down via WiFi once it's running.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks