• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A/803A Coolant Servicing

devilphrog

Just wanted to pass along that I have found a solution to servicing the radiator on the MEP-803A (but should work find for the 802A's as well). I have a Lisle 24680 Spill Free Funnel that I used to fill up the radiator and bleed out the system. With the right included adapters, one can service and bleed the radiator and cooling system without making a mess and needing to tilt the unit over. It's around $20 and is handy for other radiator / coolant servicing on other vehicles as it includes many radiator cap adapters. It can be used with or without the top cover on the unit, and includes a plug that you can stick into the funnel once you're done to save the excess coolant that's bled out.

I'll see if I can attach a picture below.

Lisle1.PNG
Lisle 24680 Spill-Free FunnelLisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel

lisle2.jpg

Attachments

devilphrog

One tip though, i used a bungee cord to secure the funnel from 'flopping' over when using the filter, by hooking the bungee cords to the radiator air outlet grille. I did this so I could run the unit with the funnel filled with coolant, in order to "burp" the air out. It's not really necessary, but an added layer of protection against making a big coolant mess inadvertently by bumping into the funnel while doing operational checks, etc.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing, how did you know I'm replacing my water pump?!? :)
Where is a good place to get a spare water pump for an 802A? I looked on the big auction site, and there are multiple listings stating LPW, ONAN, etc, but none of them have the correct part number. I would hate to have a spare that won't fit when I need it.

Thanks'.

smokem joe

I use a piece of old radiator hose with a 90 degree bend in it. It fits snug enough in the top of the radiator that no coolant leaks while filling. Best part is it was free laying around in my junk pile!

gatorbob

This kit fits nicely. Thanks. To bleed the remaining air out, I started the engine with the funnel attached via bungee cord like posted above. Worked great. I thought it might suck in quite a bit more coolant but did not.

One problem: I drained the old green Prestone, flushed with distilled water until clear, but could only get a little more than a gallon of the new stuff (JD Cool-Gard II) in the system. I thought the TM said we use 2.1 gallons coolant on the MEP-803A. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This kit fits nicely. Thanks. To bleed the remaining air out, I started the engine with the funnel attached via bungee cord like posted above. Worked great. I thought it might suck in quite a bit more coolant but did not.

One problem: I drained the old green Prestone, flushed with distilled water until clear, but could only get a little more than a gallon of the new stuff (JD Cool-Gard II) in the system. I thought the TM said we use 2.1 gallons coolant on the MEP-803A. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Howdy,

Coolant draining on the MEP-8xx is in 2 locations.

1 location is obviously at the bottom corner of the radiator. The block drain is right in the middle of the engine block behind the fan. ( I use a long flat screw driver to start turning the valve, (from opposite side) then reach in and finish opening the valve) You can follow the coolant drain hoses up to the 2 locations too.

Fill unit, use the dead crank some to move it around and fill up. If a skid based unit, some have jacked up the one side to assist bringing the air to the radiator cap.

Last edited:

gatorbob

Thanks. Well crap, I hope I don’t have the old green stuff mixed with the orange John Deere stuff. Will drain that side and flush tomorrow. Might have to get more Cool-Gard, drain the whole thing, and start over again.

Last edited:

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Yup for me and my fat hands I just decided it was safer to disconnect the batteries and loosen the alternator and belt then get into the draincock right dead in the middle of the area and work the drain valve and get the remaining fluid out.. Smaller hands wont need this effort, but to me it just seemed easier than a visit to the local ER and then the explaining and then the whole process of trying to put my hand back onto my arm and the pain and dumb ass why did i do this to myself question... As one other person said, just follow the drain hose's and you will finally see it ..mm

gatorbob

Thanks. I must have missed something obvious. I followed the drain hose and it had a T connector to the radiator and the overflow bottle only, all within a few inches of each other. I'll head out shortly and at least get distilled water in it.

gatorbob

Found the valve to drain the engine block. Able to get 1.5 gallons in after draining. Flushed again until clear.

It would be easier if I didn’t have premix because then I could just do the math and leave the half gallon of distilled water in there. My JD dealer only had 50/50 in stock. I guess I need to siphon out the water or just have a greater concentration of water. I think 60/40 is good for Florida but this would be a bit more water than that.

csheath

Yup for me and my fat hands I just decided it was safer to disconnect the batteries and loosen the alternator and belt then get into the draincock right dead in the middle of the area and work the drain valve and get the remaining fluid out.. Smaller hands wont need this effort, but to me it just seemed easier than a visit to the local ER and then the explaining and then the whole process of trying to put my hand back onto my arm and the pain and dumb ass why did i do this to myself question... As one other person said, just follow the drain hose's and you will finally see it ..mm
All you have to do is remove the belt and tensioner bolt. Then you can loosen the pivot bolt and roll it down to get to the block drain.

20161217_161628.jpg

gatorbob

All you have to do is remove the belt and tensioner bolt. Then you can loosen the pivot bolt and roll it down to get to the block drain.
Thanks for the picture. Got that loosened and drained. Still only able to drain and get 1.5 gallons back in. Do you get a full 2.1 gallons in/out?

Edit: I think I am okay with 6 quarts of the 50/50 mix and 2 quarts of distilled water. I think that is a mix of 63/37. Close enough to 60/40, which is what I would mix up anyway for the John Deere concentrate, if I could actually buy it locally for my climate.

Last edited:

2Pbfeet

Old thread, but wow those funnels, or their clones are great for the sideways radiator neck on the 803As. There was a fair amount of sludge in my coolant, more in the first distilled water rinse, and getting better on the third rinse.

I just used a long closed end wrench to put over the top of the block drain handle and tapped it with a free hand to loosen it, and then I could just reach around the fan belt to loosen it completely. YMMV, but my hands aren't small.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

2Pbfeet

With "new to me" equipment, you never quite know what happened. The MEP-803A was manufactured in '06, and the oil filter was changed last year at a little over 22 hours. So I drained the coolant, which looked ugly, green/orange and cloudy. (No photo) I got 5 quarts out, so I felt pretty good about it. I filled it up with distilled water, ran it until it warmed up, and let it cool.
IMG_5273.jpeg
Rinse #1 on the far right. That's five rinse/fills from the right to the left, with #4 missing (opaque container). Getting a little over 5Qts/rinse, so maybe a pint left at each rinse. I figure that the overflow holds a pint or so, so 5.9- 0.5qts is about 5.4qts for the rest of the system.

Any thoughts on what generates a whitish cloudy material? Water pump corrosion? (Aluminum hydroxide?)

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks