• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A/803A Coolant Servicing

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty normal dissimilar metals type corrosion. Waterpump is a good guess on source.

I had one come through with some serious cooling system issues. The coolant had jelled.

I did a couple of plain water flushes then ran some cooling system cleaner through ti. When I rinsed it out, everything looked nice and shiny again. Refilled with green coolant and it was good to go.

Sidis8

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With "new to me" equipment, you never quite know what happened. The MEP-803A was manufactured in '06, and the oil filter was changed last year at a little over 22 hours. So I drained the coolant, which looked ugly, green/orange and cloudy. (No photo) I got 5 quarts out, so I felt pretty good about it. I filled it up with distilled water, ran it until it warmed up, and let it cool.
View attachment 905809
Rinse #1 on the far right. That's five rinse/fills from the right to the left, with #4 missing (opaque container). Getting a little over 5Qts/rinse, so maybe a pint left at each rinse. I figure that the overflow holds a pint or so, so 5.9- 0.5qts is about 5.4qts for the rest of the system.

Any thoughts on what generates a whitish cloudy material? Water pump corrosion? (Aluminum hydroxide?)

All the best,

2Pbfeet
I used this to refill mine, worked like a charm. Little pricey but worth it. Pulls a vacuum and checks for leaks also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks