• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A GP Win

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won an 802A and arranging shipping. I'll have a lot of questions once I start troubleshooting this, but for now...

What is happening here?

1686705797010.png

So it sold as a non-runner. Not sure how hard they tried, dude looks like he's had a rough day in the video.

14.4 hours, looks good inside and seems to be missing some bolts outside. Looks like new under the hood.

1686706101857.png
1686706229612.png
1686706282422.png

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won an 802A and arranging shipping. I'll have a lot of questions once I start troubleshooting this, but for now...

What is happening here?

View attachment 899650
How to phrase this.. You see, when a daddy generator... Nevermind.

I've long given up on the creativity of the people handling these sets before the auctions buyers get them.

You are going to want to pop all the covers off and give it a really good once over. Take it apart and post up more photos.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good starting point to work with. That hose was just turned 90*, its supposed to be parallel with the engine block, sucking air from towards the generator head. Easy fix with a hose clamp adjustment.

Reset quality has been getting worse and worse for years... you may find that the reset wasnt done well, and that its something small that was either misinstalled, or was not replaced (though should have). Still worlds better than a big box generator to start with!

Plan on taking all the roof covers off, verifying fluid levels, and familiarize yourself with how to operate the Technical Manuals. Normally missing bolts are a sign that someone went in to fix something, didn't, and left just as quick.

I have full faith that you will get this running, and it will make power.... even if it takes a little bit of troubleshooting and some liquid encouragement.

Ray70

Something to keep in mind is that in the picture of the control panel, the gages ( oil, temp and fuel level ) are still in the operating range.
This means that no one has attempted to start the machine since the last time it WAS running.
If anyone attempted to start it and failed, the gages would no longer be in the operating range.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, my DA form 2404 would list:
1. L/S (Left side) battery Missing.
2. L/S battery hold down Missing.

3. L/S Battery cover Missing.
4. L/S Battery tray Missing.
5. L/S Pos and Neg Terminal Covers Missing.
6. L/S Fan Guard Missing.
7. S6 Switch, (AM/VM) Switch Knob Missing.

8. Control Panel L/S Turn lock screw Missing.
9. R/S Fan Guard bent.
10. Radiator Cap Securing Chain not mounted.
11. L/S Door Weather Striping Missing.
12. R/S Door Weather Striping Missing or Unserviceable.
13. Many Screws and Nuts Missing from outside Covers and plates.
14. Air Intake Hose not properly mounted.
15, Many Zip Ties Missing.
16. Spot paint.

Now, give me some good pictures!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pickup day! The transpo company slow-rolled the delivery and was over a week late, and then demanded I pick up in 48 hours or incur storage fees. It was slow at work (mostly because as the manager I felt slow) so I took two hours off and went to get it.

Six cargo straps to keep it in the middle of the trailer.

TieDown.jpg

About 45 mins in traffic looking like this. Hemi Jeep had no issues pulling the load.

Loaded.jpg

This is good- a serviceable tag. I'll scan the rest of the wad of paper tomorrow.

ServicableTag.jpg

I see the fuse there, I think that's a good thing.

BehindPanel.jpg

Didn't have time to poke around much more as it's dinner time and I'm late. I didn't see any "accessories" in any of the boxes or in the sack attached on the left side.

Guyfang

Staff member
Two nuts in the control panel floor. May need to see where they came from.

As someone who lost a MEP-115A 60 KW gen set, out the back of his M818 Drop Side truck, in the middle of one of the most congested intersections in Schweinfurt, at 13:00 one day, Six straps sounds good!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As someone who lost a MEP-115A 60 KW gen set, out the back of his M818 Drop Side truck, in the middle of one of the most congested intersections in Schweinfurt, at 13:00 one day, Six straps sounds good!
1689166349978.png

There was one additional strap over the top to keep the top cover (missing almost all the bolts) from catching any air. It towed really well, despite my nervousness at pulling that much weight at highway speed. It could have been a half-foot aft I think, but it behaved perfectly.

When I picked up my HMMWV tires at a freight terminal, the pallet was crushed and broken. Then yesterday, when I saw the generator sitting in the warehouse, it was on a slant; the pallet also crushed and broken. The forklift driver put it on a newer pallet.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I remember that day quite well! What a Chaos!

Guyfang

Staff member
This happened just 10 days(?) ago, not far from my town. Its Möchshof beer. GOOD BEER!! About an hour after it happened, every beer drinker in our Landkriese, (County) had these pictures and more on his cell phone. It was like a national emergency. Happens 1-2 times a year. Years ago, we were putting Photo Electric on the roof of the Möchshof bottling facility. A fork lift operator bumped a corner stack of cases. Maybe 18-20 meters tall. He managed to get out of the way, but once it started to go, it was like dominoes. One row after another. Went on for 2 min. Tens of thousands of bottles went over. Yes, not all were broken. But it had to be cleaned up. And bottling operation could not stop. They ran us out and promised a law suit if we took pictures.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you guys are taking me back....

Early to mid 90s I think; we flew a routine mission into Kinshasa Zaire (it's called Congo now) and RON'd at the Intercontinental. The airplane battery was DOA when we came back out the next morning to leave, so the US embassy rep got the FBO to put it on their charger, spreading cash to practically everyone he spoke to, and we all hopped back on the bus to spend another night.

While in the FBO, I noticed the embassy guy would put his wad-o-cash down here and there, seemingly unconcerned it might get picked up by any of the locals working there. He laughed when I asked him about it; he said justice was very different there than in the US – nobody that has a job would risk losing their job, and taking their right hand home in a sack, no matter how much that wad might be tempting them.

On the drive back to the hotel the traffic suddenly went gridlock - we were stuck about 40 yards behind an overturned beer truck, and just like those pictures there was beer all over the road. Also in the road was a rapidly growing crowd of locals - some gawking but many others looting. Africa isn't like the western world at all, and the majority of the population scrapes by, working to eat, so luxuries like beer are rare indulgences. I guess they don’t chop off hands for beer theft, or if the risk of getting caught was low enough to make it worthwhile.

There were two kinds of looters; the ones who were making a game of it and the ones trying to make off with full cases. The former would run up, grab a beer bottle off the street, hold it high over their head- big smile for the crowd- and then run away. The latter would grab a case and try to run off with it; somewhat more difficult due to the weight. The crowd was cheering, laughing, and yelling at/for one or both, and the whole thing was like a mini-riot breaking out.

The driver and two harried cops would chase after the case-looters and as soon as they went one way, someone would run in from the crowd and grab a bottle or case from the other way, so they were running back and forth and not really catching anyone.

About this time the embassy guy sitting in front of me in the bus starts shrinking down in his seat… This, given his nonchalance about his money wad earlier, piqued my curiosity enough to take my attention off the riot-party happening in front of us. I asked him why and he said things can get really ugly really fast, that if the cops start to feel like they’re losing control of the situation (and they were) they might just open up full-auto with their sub-guns on the entire crowd, then wait for backup to sort it all out. We were easily in the spray zone and being on a bus sitting a bit higher than the other vehicles in front of us.

Fortunately it all calmed down on its own, without crowd dispersal gunfire. Perhaps the crowd knew what the embassy guy knew, and knew also just how far they could push the situation before it got bulletty. We went back to the Intercontinental and spent the night, came out the next day and got our battery back (there was some question about whether we’d get our USAF battery back, or some other suitable battery) and flew out.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, its been almost 50 years, so I can tell this beer truck story, without going to jail. We were driving in convoy to a field problem.

Here goes.
I don’t remember the year this happened. 1974 or 1975? BUT, I do remember how it all started, and how it ended. We pulled into the rest stop going to Schweinfurt, to do some saftey checks and take a leak. I was in C-99, a 5 ton, M818 drop side, driven by Rick Warner. Everyone got out to walk around a bit, and Rick Warner, a farm boy from Illinois, walked over to a parked German trailer. He was always interested in trucks, trailers and tractors. Well Rick looked inside the trailer. He calmly, coolly and slowly walked back to me and whispered in a high pitched and excited voice, “Sarge! There’s a shi* load of beer in that trailer!” He had that look in his eyes. Rick had been kind of a good boy when he came to C-3/7 ADA. Several years in the unit and a few million beers later, Rick had a taste for beer! And for doing crazy things.

As my goal in life at this time, was to sample as much beer as possible, I took a gander myself. INDEED, a shi* load of beer! Well, who would miss a case or three of beer? In the back of C-99, Rick had mounted a small German refrigerator. In the trailer behind C-99 was a 5 KW generator. A power cord went from trailer to truck. Can’t drink warm beer you know. Rick and I got three cases of beer. One went under the shotgun’s seat, and the other two in the reefer in back. Rick started the generator and we were set! As several other people saw what was going on, they too made the decision that a “few” cases of beer would not be missed. So by the time the LT got us started again, at least 30-40 cases were “requisitioned”. And off we drove to training Area Sierra, (Slime).

WHAT we didn’t know, was some Germans up on the hillside above, had seen us and called the Cops. It takes the cops a while to respond. The next convoy serial pulled in, and parked. As they are God fearing Christians, they never even looked in the trailer. Up roars the cops! Everyone has to move away from the trucks and a search is conducted! And no beer found. How can this be? So the poor soldiers are allowed to go on. Someone must have been playing a joke on the poor old Cops. Later that night we had a little party. Even shared beer with the second convoy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks