• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a: need aux fuel tank 20 gallon preferred but 10 would probably work

robson1015

Sound like a great idea but not sure how it's possible without a fuel pickup. Unless you are talking about putting the aux fuel line directly in the barrel. Seems like the braiding on the fuel line would eventually dissolve and clog the aux fuel pump.
You will need the aux. fuel pickup that extends to the bottom of the barrel, available from auction site. Screws into the bung opening on top of the barrel.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything can be done with enough ingenuity... I forget what the thread type is on those, but probably easy enough to determine with a thread gauge tool.

hammick

I found a local source for the plastic chemical barrels that the auto car washes use. They have two bungs on them. Thinking of one bung for the 802 and the other for a transfer pump for my tractor. Will strap it to a pallet so I can take it to get filled with offroad diesel. Any concern about these types of barrels and diesel? Obviously I'm clueless and I appreciate all the help.

hammick

The best price I can find for a new fuel bung with the copper pipe is on Ebay. $100 bucks shipped. Anyone know where I can source one cheaper? Green Mountain Gensets wants $300 for one.

Zed254

I found a local source for the plastic chemical barrels that the auto car washes use. They have two bungs on them. Thinking of one bung for the 802 and the other for a transfer pump for my tractor. Will strap it to a pallet so I can take it to get filled with offroad diesel. Any concern about these types of barrels and diesel? Obviously I'm clueless and I appreciate all the help.

You need to check materials of construction for the tank if not made for fuel: https://www.plasticsintl.com/chemical-resistance-chart . This chart did not show it but many fuel tanks are constructed of HDPE, but you need to check compatibility for YOUR application.

Many of those drums have threaded bung holes. This means you can use pipe fittings to reduce the bung hole size to fit your pick up tube.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

The one concern I would have with running a genset unattended with no one onsite would be the potential for a fuel leak & subsequent fire. Diesel is certainly MUCH better than gasoline as far as combustibility/flammability but diesel squirting on a hot exhaust manifold is a problem. You indicated that you have an camera to remotely view the genset while running to take a look-see now & then but it would be VERY UNFORTUNATE if you noticed a liquid puddle on floor or smoke/flames via remote viewing & suddenly lost communication & control.

As an extra precaution, you should consider replacing all the fuel lines with braided sst for added peace of mind. Another, idea would be to install a WiFi monitored smoke/heat alarm near the generator. Edit: Here are some reviews of Smart Smoke Detectors for 2020. My UPS battery back-up on my PC is set to send a "Pwr Outage" txt msg to my cell phone so there may be a way to interface to a remote PC on UPS at your generator location that monitors the wifi smoke alarm & sends a push notification to your mobile phone.

But I'm a worry wart when it comes to things like this. However, that old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" has served me well over the years.

Last edited:

hammick

The one concern I would have with running a genset unattended with no one onsite would be the potential for a fuel leak & subsequent fire. Diesel is certainly MUCH better than gasoline as far as combustibility/flammability but diesel squirting on a hot exhaust manifold is a problem. You indicated that you have an camera to remotely view the genset while running to take a look-see now & then but it would be VERY UNFORTUNATE if you noticed a liquid puddle on floor or smoke/flames via remote viewing & suddenly lost communication & control.

As an extra precaution, you should consider replacing all the fuel lines with braided sst for added peace of mind. Another, idea would be to install a WiFi monitored smoke/heat alarm near the generator. I've seen ones that claim to send a push notification to a mobile phone. My UPS battery back-up on my PC is set to send a "Pwr Outage" txt msg to my cell phone so there may be a way to interface to a remote PC on UPS at your generator location that monitors the wifi smoke alarm.

But I'm a worry wart when it comes to things like this. However, that old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" has served me well over the years.
Yes I have been thinking about this a lot and continue to explore other options. I've spoken with companies about installing a Generac propane backup generator outside. However I'm not willing to spend 6k on an aircooled genset that many people think are crap. I even had a Generac dealer tell me he wouldn't install one off grid because they are nothing but trouble.

I'm looking into putting my roof mounted panels on adjustable mounts but my installer doesn't like doing that in my area because of the high winds we can get off the mountains.

I could turn everything off like I used to but then my cameras are worthless and I'd have no control over my gas stove thermostat.

I've even thought about a fire suppression system but I have no idea what's involved with that.

I wouldn't be running it unattended very often and when I do for only 20 or 30 minutes. I would be checking the camera every five minutes.

I wish I could find a responsible kid or person to tend to my place when I'm not there but nobody wants to work up there and in the winter it can be tough access if it snows.

Thanks for the advice on the SS fuel lines. I'll check and see if anybody offers these or if I have to have them custom made.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I have been thinking about this a lot and continue to explore other options. I've spoken with companies about installing a Generac propane backup generator outside. However I'm not willing to spend 6k on an aircooled genset that many people think are crap. I even had a Generac dealer tell me he wouldn't install one off grid because they are nothing but trouble.

I'm looking into putting my roof mounted panels on adjustable mounts but my installer doesn't like doing that in my area because of the high winds we can get off the mountains.

I could turn everything off like I used to but then my cameras are worthless and I'd have no control over my gas stove thermostat.

I've even thought about a fire suppression system but I have no idea what's involved with that.

I wouldn't be running it unattended very often and when I do for only 20 or 30 minutes. I would be checking the camera every five minutes.

I wish I could find a responsible kid or person to tend to my place when I'm not there but nobody wants to work up there and in the winter it can be tough access if it snows.

Thanks for the advice on the SS fuel lines. I'll check and see if anybody offers these or if I have to have them custom made.
Generac has kind of screwed the pooch for the off grid market, their attempt at a low RPM generator has had nothing but issues.

Kohler came out with one not too long ago though that seems to be better. Even designed to turn off power to the control power in standby mode, where the Generac requires constant 120V power all the time to keep the 12V battery charged, and the control panel is always drawing power.
Downside is still costs a bunch of money.

hammick

Generac has kind of screwed the pooch for the off grid market, their attempt at a low RPM generator has had nothing but issues.

Kohler came out with one not too long ago though that seems to be better. Even designed to turn off power to the control power in standby mode, where the Generac requires constant 120V power all the time to keep the 12V battery charged, and the control panel is always drawing power.
Downside is still costs a bunch of money.
Crazy that Generac would require constant 120v power to keep the battery charged in an off grid generator. Would have cost them just a few dollars to include a solar battery tender. Also I was told it didn't have an alternator or stator for battery charging while running.

The Kohler looks nice. I didn't know it existed. But that's crazy money for an air cooled genset. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on a genset I need to live there full time or it's going to be installed in my garage.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crazy that Generac would require constant 120v power to keep the battery charged in an off grid generator. Would have cost them just a few dollars to include a solar battery tender. Also I was told it didn't have an alternator or stator for battery charging while running.

The Kohler looks nice. I didn't know it existed. But that's crazy money for an air cooled genset. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on a genset I need to live there full time or it's going to be installed in my garage.
Very few of the smaller standby units have alternators. It's an unnecessary added expense. Whenever it runs it's going to produce electricity, and when it's not running it needs a power source, so that's why they do it 120V. The older generacs did 240V, stepped it down to 18VAC using a transformer, then used a charging board to change it to DC. I get a lot of repairs for that charging board failing, it's easy to diagnose, and easy to access and diagnose.
Main reason for constant power supply is all the logic for controlling the generator and transfer switch is in the generator (for generacs, kohler has it in the transfer switch AND the generator), it has to react when the power goes out in order to come on and transfer. In an off grid situation using 2 wire start it's controlled by the battery bank charge controller, so no logic needed.

kavesman1

If you want a good tank,I'd look at the tractor/trailer salvage yards or shops. The one in my hometown has about an Acre of used tanks from tractors and refer trailers that were involved in accidents. They quoted me a price range from $50 to $150 for each type of tank, from 30gal refer trailer tanks to 120gal tractor tanks. Most were the round tanks, but some of the day cabs have small square tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks