• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803 locking up, help?

Crank

Hello folks. I recently picked up a 803 from a guy, and at some point it bent a pushrod, and broke a rocker. Also came with a new injector(old injector missing) and a new head gasket. I buttoned up the valve train and pulled all injectors in case there was a hydro locking problem. I tossed some batteries in it and spun it over. It spun over easy a couple times then thump, spun and thump, the engine felt pretty locked up. I then went ahead and pulled all the rockers and pushrods.

I was able to spin the fan backward and it freed up, then hit the crank switch again and it stuck again...

Any ideas what could stick it from rotating? Something in the lower end? The generator unit? I don’t know if the previous damage and this is related but it would seem.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

INFChief

It coming with a new head gasket makes suspicious. You could have a bent crank or a bent rod, or a camshaft issue. Have you had the head off?

Crank

It coming with a new head gasket makes suspicious. You could have a bent crank or a bent rod, or a camshaft issue. Have you had the head off?
No I just figured I’d put it together and see at first. I do see there is a side cover on the engine I may be able to get a look at things through.

Ray70

Way too many possibilities without digging into it.
Could be anything from something inside the generator ( even as small as a dropped fastener ) to a broken crank , rod or something inside a cylinder.
Since you don't know much about the machine I think you should begin by removing the head to investigate.
Since an injector was missing, its possible there is something inside that cyl.
Crank the motor by hand, don't use the starter.
If nothing is found in the cylinders, pull the engine side cover off next and look in the crankcase.
If still nothing is found, last thing is disassemble and pull off the generator.

Crank

Could be anything from something inside the generator ( even as small as a dropped fastener ) to a broken crank , rod or something inside a cylinder.
Since you don't know much about the machine I think you should begin by removing the head to investigate.
If nothing is found in the cylinders, pull the engine side cover off next and look in the crankcase.
If still nothing is found, last thing is disassemble and pull off the generator.
It really felt like something was in between something. It was rotating fine then wham... hopefully I didn’t do something real bad, but you don’t know what you don’t know. I guess when I get some more time I’ll dive deeper. Thanks

INFChief

You’re right, something could have dropped in to the cylinder not allowing the piston to go all the way up and around to the next stroke.

If you have a bore scope type camera maybe you could peek in to that cylinder without removing the head. I wonder if an auto parts store rents those out? I know you can buy the flexible camera lead and use it on an iPhone and those aren’t too expensive.

Crank

You’re right, something could have dropped in to the cylinder not allowing the piston to go all the way up and around to the next stroke.

If you have a bore scope type camera maybe you could peek in to that cylinder without removing the head. I wonder if an auto parts store rents those out? I know you can buy the flexible camera lead and use it on an iPhone and those aren’t too expensive.
I think at this point the least invasive may be to pull the side cover, and look in there and see if I can hand rotate it.. the generator did come with the head gasket so no loss there to pulling it aside from the aggravation I suppose

Ray70

Yea, been away for a few weeks... Business trip to Israel then home for a week then family vacation in VA and TN.
Israel was interesting.... got to do a little sight seeing in between the 2 terrorist shootings that were a stones throw down the street from our hotel!
Made it home ( eventually ) , without getting locked up!

jamawieb

Did you get that unit off of marketplace for $400? If so you beat me to it. LOL! Your going to need to pull the head and side cover off. I would do this before you try turning it over again, it sounds like a broken rod cap. Had this happen to me once and didn't dig into it fast enough and I damaged the engine where it needed to be bored out.

Crank

Did you get that unit off of marketplace for $400? If so you beat me to it. LOL! Your going to need to pull the head and side cover off. I would do this before you try turning it over again, it sounds like a broken rod cap. Had this happen to me once and didn't dig into it fast enough and I damaged the engine where it needed to be bored out.
I did, actually probably didn’t beat you to it, I paid the guy extra to jump the line 🤣 maybe thinking now it wasn’t a great idea

Crank

I paid the guy double the $400 he wanted, figure I saw a couple go for $3k on govplanet so I was at least ok on the deal. But locking it up is a little disheartening. I picked up a M116A3 trailer last year to put it on, had a bad axle spindle that I repaired and got back working it’s going on. This unit will be backup to keep my furnace running and keep the kids warm if the lights go out. Just need to get it up and going!

Guyfang

Staff member
I paid the guy double the $400 he wanted, figure I saw a couple go for $3k on govplanet so I was at least ok on the deal. But locking it up is a little disheartening. I picked up a M116A3 trailer last year to put it on, had a bad axle spindle that I repaired and got back working it’s going on. This unit will be backup to keep my furnace running and keep the kids warm if the lights go out. Just need to get it up and going!
Before you call in the preist and have a funeral, find out whats wrong with it. You are assuming. Assuming will bite you in the butt every time.

Ray70

You "saw a few on GovPlanet go for $3K" , Yea and all the rest went for MORE!
I've seen non-runners go for $5k and more.
Even for the "Double" price you paid you couldn't find anything remotely close these days.
Take your time, go through it fully and get it fixed. It will be the best $800 you ever spent.

Crank

You "saw a few on GovPlanet go for $3K" , Yea and all the rest went for MORE!
I've seen non-runners go for $5k and more.
Even for the "Double" price you paid you couldn't find anything remotely close these days.
Take your time, go through it fully and get it fixed. It will be the best $800 you ever spent.
Thanks guys! I need a little time to dig into it, but yes the machine is in pretty good shape. Had like 981 hours and was preserved in 06, as far as I know it may not have ran since