• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Brass terminal nut inserts.

Guyfang

Staff member

5940-01-009-4763
5940-01-141-3671

Are also good numbers for the lugs. They have been superseded by
5940-00-958-1214, but are still considered replacements.

I used the 4763 number in the big auction site and came up with just the nuts, (4 each) for 17 bucks.
I also came up with a terminal board and 4 each compleat terminals for a 003A. The terminals fit the mep-803A. The board not. Still, it works out to be 20 bucks a terminal.

Last edited:

Dispensamatic

Unfortunately this is for the nut without the insert. I have that. The insert is what broke. I think it will function fine without the insert although. Guess what I just found out though! One of my generators turned out to be a MEP-813!!!!!! I am so pissed. I had no idea they made the exact generator ina 400hz version. Totally worthless!!!!! Why would they make a 120/240 single phase, 208 v 3 phase generator at 400hz!? This mkes absolutely no sense!!!! I also paid $4000 for the ****ed thing and 95 other people bid against me!!! I breezed over the specs and looked at all the pictures and videos. Knowing I was looking at my generator! I’ve had it for a couple weeks but didn’t fire it up till yesterday. I saw the frequency meter and said. What the ****!?!?

5940-01-009-4763
5940-01-141-3671

Are also good numbers for the lugs. They have been superseded by
5940-00-958-1214, but are still considered replacements.

I used the 4763 number in the big auction site and came up with just the nuts, (4 each) for 17 bucks.
I also came up with a terminal board and 4 each compleat terminals for a 003A. The terminals fit the mep-803A. The board not. Still, it works out to be 20 bucks a terminal.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately this is for the nut without the insert. I have that. The insert is what broke. I think it will function fine without the insert although. Guess what I just found out though! One of my generators turned out to be a MEP-813!!!!!! I am so pissed. I had no idea they made the exact generator ina 400hz version. Totally worthless!!!!! Why would they make a 120/240 single phase, 208 v 3 phase generator at 400hz!? This mkes absolutely no sense!!!! I also paid $4000 for the ****ed thing and 95 other people bid against me!!! I breezed over the specs and looked at all the pictures and videos. Knowing I was looking at my generator! I’ve had it for a couple weeks but didn’t fire it up till yesterday. I saw the frequency meter and said. What the ****!?!?
Howdy,
bummeraua

You have a parts unit.

Zed254

Guess what I just found out though! One of my generators turned out to be a MEP-813!!!!!! I am so pissed. I had no idea they made the exact generator ina 400hz version. Totally worthless!!!!! Why would they make a 120/240 single phase, 208 v 3 phase generator at 400hz!? This mkes absolutely no sense!!!! I also paid $4000 for the ****ed thing and 95 other people bid against me!!! I breezed over the specs and looked at all the pictures and videos. Knowing I was looking at my generator! I’ve had it for a couple weeks but didn’t fire it up till yesterday. I saw the frequency meter and said. What the ****!?!?
I read somewhere that you can use the 400Hz units to power heaters.....that the Hz does not matter with a resistive load. If so, you may be able to use it to heat your barn.

Guyfang

Staff member
Unfortunately this is for the nut without the insert. I have that. The insert is what broke. I think it will function fine without the insert although. Guess what I just found out though! One of my generators turned out to be a MEP-813!!!!!! I am so pissed. I had no idea they made the exact generator ina 400hz version.

There is power in getting informed. If you had looked at the manuals, you would have known. Its on the cover of every TM. And there are several threads about it. Please thump on your chest and shout, "Mea Culpa!"

Totally worthless!!!!! Why would they make a 120/240 single phase, 208 v 3 phase generator at 400hz!? This mkes absolutely no sense!!!!

There are these things called Radars, Aircraft, Fire finders, (artillery finding radars) and all kinds of things that use 400 hertz. I spent almost 20 years in Army units that ONLY used 400 hertz. Worthless? Not even.

I also paid $4000 for the ****ed thing and 95 other people bid against me!!! I breezed over the specs and looked at all the pictures and videos. Knowing I was looking at my generator! I’ve had it for a couple weeks but didn’t fire it up till yesterday. I saw the frequency meter and said. What the ****!?!?

So, when you are done crying in your beer, you can start to figure out how to turn this around. One way is a parts set. Sell lots of bits and pieces off to folks who need them. OR, you can find a 60 hertz set that has a bad engine. OR, you find enough parts to convert it to a 60 hertz set. Not easy, but only because you need to look for parts, The work itself is easy. There was a 60 hertz set sold not long ago, that looked like someone tossed it out of a forth story window. The front was crushed in. THAT set would have been just what you need. everything AC was undamaged.

You didn't do your homework. A million threads, 10 million folks here would have explained it to you IF we had known you needed info. Its not too late to make something out of this set.

tommys2patrick

Guyfang--is there a Nema pad or spade terminal or similar that this is designed to clamp down on rather than the bare end of your load wire? Just seems like a lot of thought went into the design of the lug only to have it crush down on a bare wire in a somewhat odd shaped hole. your thoughts?

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang--is there a Nema pad or spade terminal or similar that this is designed to clamp down on rather than the bare end of your load wire? Just seems like a lot of thought went into the design of the lug only to have it crush down on a bare wire in a somewhat odd shaped hole. your thoughts?

This load terminal has been around longer then I have worked on gen sets. The armys answer is the same as Supman wrote. Tin the lead. It is what I always did, if I had time and equipment to do it. There was always times we just could not tin the leads, quickly stuff, but I thought it's best, until I started working in Germany. We only use a crimp wire end, that IF done right, is a great deal. If not crimped correctly, can be trouble. Since we started using only a electr/hydraulic crimping tool, I only use crimp able ends, no more tining the leads. We went to a one day school and learned everything you ever wanted to know about crimping, joining and connecting ends, and lots of stuff I didn't want to know. I am now a big fan of crimp able lead ends.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awhile back, I was talking to a Lineman from our local Utility while he was hooking up a meter for me - he used a powder fired crimping tool. He said, "the Utility was striving to get away from split ear bolts - that the crimping techniques provided a much more consistent, trouble free connection, less the individualism found with the imagination in individuals".

There will always be the "Field Application" though, and the split-ear bolt works.

Dispensamatic

So, when you are done crying in your beer, you can start to figure out how to turn this around. One way is a parts set. Sell lots of bits and pieces off to folks who need them. OR, you can find a 60 hertz set that has a bad engine. OR, you find enough parts to convert it to a 60 hertz set. Not easy, but only because you need to look for parts, The work itself is easy. There was a 60 hertz set sold not long ago, that looked like someone tossed it out of a forth story window. The front was crushed in. THAT set would have been just what you need. everything AC was undamaged.

You didn't do your homework. A million threads, 10 million folks here would have explained it to you IF we had known you needed info. Its not too late to make something out of this set.
Honestly, i didn't imagine they would make such a thing... It is completely on me for sure, just so mad at myself for not looking closer. What really pisses me off is i DID notice the model being different, and didn't check it out. It was one of those moments where the auction has 5 minutes and i really didn't do my pre-auction due diligence. I had found out someone in the family wanted one of the first generators i bought, it was Wednesday, and i thought what the **** ill go over to the auction site and have a look... BAD ON ME!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, i didn't imagine they would make such a thing... It is completely on me for sure, just so mad at myself for not looking closer. What really pisses me off is i DID notice the model being different, and didn't check it out. It was one of those moments where the auction has 5 minutes and i really didn't do my pre-auction due diligence. I had found out someone in the family wanted one of the first generators i bought, it was Wednesday, and i thought what the **** ill go over to the auction site and have a look... BAD ON ME!
It sucks. The only thing I can tell you is you are not alone. You will take a loss on this machine, but not completely. If the sheet metal is all straight, and the engine and cooling system in great shape, part it out. You might be able to recoup about half of your initial investment. A lot of smart guys here, so dust yourself off and lets get you in the right direction.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, time to shake it off. It could be worse, and most people would never have posted about it at all. Just hid it away. I think you will get most of your money back, in the long run. Don't throw anything away. Some one will want it sometime. Someone wanted a skid not long ago. All kinds of parts are needed sooner or later. Even the wire harness. Yes, its for the 400 hertz model. But if someone burned up a few wires in his 60 hertz gen set, and wanted to replace just those wires, (yes, I have done this. its a pita, but when you are done, its perfect!) you can help him out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks