• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A frequency cable

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the plastic is still on them, then they have never had acid in them.
Thats great to know... free batteries that I thought were dead! One makes no noise when moving, the other sloshes a bit. I would have assumed there was no liquid in them if the plastic was retained. Thoughts?

Guyfang

Staff member
What does asid react to? Baking soda? If so, take a few drops and put it on a small pile of baking soda. See what it does. If it doesn't react, then maybe its water? Normal, when they come new, the cells are covered with a yellow, (I think) plastic to keep out moisture and dirt. Only way to find out is try it. Was the set dirty when you got it? Or look like someone had pressure washed it?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like water in one... didnt realize those caps spin off till now. I will have to give it the baking soda test. Water won't ruin the plates inside of a battery like this, if its been sitting that way for god knows how long?

IMG_20170820_103816_667.jpg

boatman69

It's definitely not good oxygen in air or in water isn't not good for the plates.
FWIW - DRY-CHARGED: The battery is built, charged, washed and dried, sealed, and shipped without electrolyte. It can be stored for up to 18 months. When put into use, electrolyte and charging are required. Batteries of this type have a long shelf life.
Acid is cheap I'd go for it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does asid react to? Baking soda? If so, take a few drops and put it on a small pile of baking soda. See what it does. If it doesn't react, then maybe its water? Normal, when they come new, the cells are covered with a yellow, (I think) plastic to keep out moisture and dirt. Only way to find out is try it. Was the set dirty when you got it? Or look like someone had pressure washed it?
I am not even sure which machine I pulled these out of... maybe one of the 802As I have. I opened the top one the sloshy one yesterday, and it had no odor (and what appeared to be a slight oil sheen)... so I am thinking that it is water. Need to figure out a container to dump it into, for testing purposes (as I have no way to pipette out some for testing).

Guyfang

Staff member
LID, (Light in the Dark)

Put a few drops of the liquid into a spoonful of Baking soda. If it bubbles, its acid. If it doesn't, its water and just dump it. I always use plastic containers for acid. For storage, use ONLY plastic. A glass container can break. Believe me, not even funny!

The straw trick sounds good.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The 2HN battery was the older spec'd battery for the MEP-802A, and they have updated that to the Optima 51R
2015-05-17 14.41.59.jpg Optima51R.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks