• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Won't crank Ouick Fix?

Hawaiian-Time

Hi everyone.
I just got a MEP-803A everything looks to be all there and connected properly. Problem is it won't crank. I Have had a MEP-802A for some time now and know about the Kill switch, DC control power circuit breaker Button behind the Panel and the Fuse.

I did a little testing with the last of the Daylight I had left. Found that I have no power going to the Dead Crank Switch (in the Eng. Bay) or to the Control Panel for that mater. Then it got dark and here I am asking for HELP!. Usually I will figure it out all by my lonesome self but thought I would hit you folks up for a quick fix if anyone knows what might be causing this problem.

Yes the Batteries are fully charged and if I jump the Starter Solenoid the Eng. does turn over. This sounds like it's going to be an easy fix, I hope you guys can help. If not, It might be a sleepless night. :?
Thanks from Hawaii

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Welcome back to the forums. October 2011 was a while ago when you first joined.

I do not have a fix for you, but someone here might.

jamawieb

I know you may think this is silly but did you make sure the emergency stop switch is pulled out. One time I spent several minutes trying to figure out a no start problem only to find out I forgot to pull the emergency stop switch out. Then, did you check voltage at the back of the DC breaker to see if you have 24 volts on at least one side of the breaker? If memory serves me right, voltage goes from the batteries, then to the DC breaker, and finally to the DC system which includes the Dead crank. I bet you just have a lose connection or broken wire somewhere. Check out the trouble shooting guide in -24TM that will guide you through everything.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The emergency stop switches, (S-7) often went bad. So check for voltage in and voltage out! Not just that S-7 is pulled out. Also, check for voltage on pins 3,5,7 on the S-1 switch when you have it in the start position. If you have voltage on S-1, then think about checking for voltage on the K-2 relay.

Hawaiian-Time

Ok, what I found, I am missing two Diodes on the Bridge Rectifier Assembly ( CB1 & CB2 ) Now I need to find the Value of the two Diodes and install them, That should put power to everything that's not getting it now. I'll try to post a couple of pictures, one With the Diodes that's on my 802A and the other with the missing Diodes from the 803A. I'll post outcome after I install the Diodes. Thanks for your interest Guys.
802A.jpg803A.jpg

Hawaiian-Time

Ok you Guys..... That's all it was, the CR! & the CR2 Diode. Put all the fluids in and she started rite up. Has power and everything seams to be working.
I post a Video on YouTube and post a link to the Video here.
I hope all your guys fixes go as simple as this did for me.
Thanks Again
Raymond...... Aloha!

Hawaiian-Time

So, Heads up guys, when you are going to bid on a Gen. set of the 802A or 803A, look behind the control panel and to the left to make sure the DIODES are not missing.
I just want to pass this experience on to you all. I sure have learned by it.
Good luck To All..
Thanks
Raymond

Lmtv772

Banned
So, Heads up guys, when you are going to bid on a Gen. set of the 802A or 803A, look behind the control panel and to the left to make sure the DIODES are not missing.
I just want to pass this experience on to you all. I sure have learned by it.
Good luck To All..
Thanks
Raymond
So after replacing the diodes , did the gen set then work?

Guyfang

Staff member
The stand off terminals for the diodes are not very robust. So take care re soldering the diodes to the terminals. Pay attention to polarity of the diodes. Easy to turn one in the wrong direction, if you do it in bad light or in a hurry. Take the time now to REALLY look into the set to find other such "surprises".

Hawaiian-Time

Thanks for the concern guys. Yes I put the Diodes in correctly and looked over everything. Cleaned the Fuel tank & filled it half way. All new filters, Oil, Air Fuel. Cracked the injectors and after letting it prime to fill everything, I tightened the injectors and cranked it over. Took two cranks of about 4 sec. to get it running. Ran great! Voltage good on all legs. Gauges all work. Everything works great. Nice Gen. set. I got lucky again. Hope you guys win on some good GL auctions.
Thanks for you interest and help.
Aloha!
Raymond

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks for the concern guys. Yes I put the Diodes in correctly and looked over everything. Cleaned the Fuel tank & filled it half way. All new filters, Oil, Air Fuel. Cracked the injectors and after letting it prime to fill everything, I tightened the injectors and cranked it over. Took two cranks of about 4 sec. to get it running. Ran great! Voltage good on all legs. Gauges all work. Everything works great. Nice Gen. set. I got lucky again. Hope you guys win on some good GL auctions.
Thanks for you interest and help.
Aloha!
Raymond
Hooah!

bocon

I appreciate al your info. I also have a mep803a that was running fine, but when i went to restart about a week later, nothing at the start switch, but dead crank fine. On start switch in start position have voltage on #2, 4 and 3 only.E switch has voltage on both sides and none when in off position. Any directions or clues as what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Hawaiian-Time

Hi,
After the last time you ran it, did you top it off with Fuel? For some reason these things don't like to run on a over filled tank.

Just to check. You have the dead crank switch in the run position. Yes? You have the Circuit breaker push all the way in. Rite? The fuse is good. Rite? The Emergency. Switch is pulled out. Rite? Sorry, I know your not ignorant, I just have to ask this.....
Also do your fuel pumps run when in the prime position? Let me know all this.
Good Luck... you'll get it running again. Cuz it did before....

bocon

don't know if this means anything but the fuel gauge is pegged on full, even tho there is only about 7-8 gallons. Also the panel lights don't work now. As far as circuit breaker, I can't move it up or down or rock it one way or another. It appears it is in the down position. No voltage on either white or black leads from the breaker. Thanks for your help Hawaiian time and HafaAdai from Guam!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks