• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Won't crank.....

Guyfang

Staff member
Also take notice that K-16 is not the same as the other 5 relays next to it. K-16 should be on the left side of the control panel. the other relays look the same as K-16, but are not. K-16 prevents K-2 from being energised, when the set is producing AC voltage. So if K-16 is bad, and "thinks" it senses AC voltage, it will not let the K-2 engage. The sockets for all the relays are the same, so you can mix them up.

Ifly2

Well I removed the top of the K-2, it does not contract or make contact when S-1 is turned to the start position. How can I test the K-2?

Ifly2

you're right about the K-16 being different. I removed all the relays, sprayed Boeshield on the contacts and reinserted them. Still can't get the canon plugs loose. I reached into the fuel tank but could not touch anything but diesel fuel.

Ifly2

Where can I get a parts manual for this MEP 803a? There is a fellow on ebay selling a used start relay for an 003a & I suppose it's the same mechanically, just blue instead of white.

Guyfang

Staff member
1. The TM's for your gen set are in the manuals section of this forum. Should be listed under: Everything you need to work on the MEP-802 and 803 gen set. Or something similar.

2. To test the K-2, you could read the testing procedure for testing the relay, or, take a wire from a known 24 volt source, and go to the positive side of K-2, and touch the terminal. Be warned, the starter will turn over if the relay is good.

3. The canon plug can be a sow. Use slip joint pliers, but do not use earth moving force.

4. look up the K-2 relay for the MEP-003A NSN, and then for the MEP-803A. Compare the NSN's. Mechanically they are the same. But electrically, is the amperage rating the same? I can't remember. But if the NSN is the same, then its possible to use it, but first test the relay. I think you will find it good.

5. Its best to remove the fuel tank cover, (yes, it has ten thousands screws, I know its a PITA) but when the cover is off, you can see where the float switch is located. You can also see if everything in there is OK.

6. Have you tested the K-16?

Ifly2

I finally figured it out. It wasn't very "user friendly". I'm still looking for the same info on the 003a though. The wiring diagrams do not show exactly what wires go where. Take for instance the X-1 and X-2 terminals on the K-2 relay, where do they go?

Guyfang

Staff member
Go to FO, (fold out) -2, Wiring Diagram, Page FP-3/4 Blank.

Look for K-2.

On the X-1 termianal is two wires. Wire number 11C, it goes to the S-10, dead crank switch
Wire number 114B, it goes to P6 Canon plug, pin-20
On the X-2 termainal is one wire. Wire number 100J. It goes to ground.

Any wire with a number 100, is a ground wire.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The TM 5-6115-585-series is for the MEP-003A. The above info is for a MEP-803A

Ifly2

I am looking for the 803A electrical schematic with detail, the one's that I've seen are very generic.
Thanks for the info though..........

Guyfang

Staff member
Go to FO, (fold out) -2, Wiring Diagram, Page FP-3/4 Blank.

Look for K-2.

On the X-1 termianal is two wires. Wire number 11C, it goes to the S-10, dead crank switch
Wire number 114B, it goes to P6 Canon plug, pin-20
On the X-2 termainal is one wire. Wire number 100J. It goes to ground.

Any wire with a number 100, is a ground wire.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The TM 5-6115-585-series is for the MEP-003A. The above info is for a MEP-803A

IFLY2,

There is no other wire diagrams/schematics then in the TM's. The above listed info was found in the TM 9-6115-642-24. There is also a colored schematic uploaded in the manuals section for the 802 and 803 gen sets. They are basicly the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks